Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 10: Lanciano to Tortoreto (177km)

Options
  • 13-10-2020 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

First day back after the rest day and a stage that's described as having the profile of a Flanders classic with multiple short sharp climbs including quite a jagged profile in the last 40km before a flat run in to the finish.

Not looking like one for the pure sprinters but those with a classics bias such as Demare (maybe earlier version of Demare?), Matthews, Sagan etc could be in with a shout. Bookies however favouring those with more of a climbing than sprinting bias, it should be good to watch.

Odds on Bora burying themselves for another second place?

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-map-b305d6f24c.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-profile-b76554ccd9.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-climb-b7f9950a2d.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-climb-n2-a626e40bfe.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-climb-n3-93d97fead4.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-10-climb-n4-7ab2e0d40c.jpg

Odds from Paddy Power as nothing on Bet365 this morning...
    Diego Ulissi 8/1
    Jhonathan Narvaez 14/1
    Michael Matthews 14/1
    Jack Haig 14/1

Jakob Fuglsang 16/1
    Wilco Kelderman 18/1

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

One of the last stages? MS gone. Who is next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

Any other teams reporting positive cases ? this is the scenario i expected from the tour but it didnt happen ,Although anything seems possible in this !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

godtabh wrote: »
    One of the last stages? MS gone. Who is next?

I suspect that a big asterix is being prepared to be placed alongside the account of this Giro in the history books.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Kruijswijk out. And a yet to mentioned Sunweb rider also positive.

geotrig wrote: »
    Any other teams reporting positive cases ? this is the scenario i expected from the tour but it didnt happen ,Although anything seems possible in this !

Kruijswijk gone as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

geotrig wrote: »

INEOS, Sunweb, Ag2R, Jumbo Visma....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mitchelton-scott-pull-out-of-giro-ditalia-after-four-positive-covid-19-cases

Game over by the weekend, I'd reckon

Matthews was the sunweb rider according to procyclingstats pre start stats anf list of non starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

Kruijswijk out. And a yet to mentioned Sunweb rider also positive.

is he the highest gc contender outside of yates last week ( he was probably lower)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

INEOS, Sunweb, Ag2R, Jumbo Visma....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mitchelton-scott-pull-out-of-giro-ditalia-after-four-positive-covid-19-cases

Game over by the weekend, I'd reckon

I suspect the same. I wonder what is different here compared to the Tour? Same teams I assume following the same protocols.

godtabh wrote: »
    I suspect the same. I wonder what is different here compared to the Tour? Same teams I assume following the same protocols.

Whats different is that the C19 protocols and containment measures are far from as strict as at the Tour. Jos van Emden from Jumbo Visma was saying on the Cycling Podcast that on one of the early stages, TJV along with three other team ( Mitchelton Scott being one of them) were all sharing the one hotel, along with members of the Carabineiri support AND - get this - members of the general public..... all in together at buffet breakfasts etc.....madness. Van Emden said it was likely that this is where Yates contracted the virus and now after rest day there is another 4 cases in the team

Crowd control has also been poor - someone put their arm around Sagan in recent days to take a selfie. The riders are victims here and there will be more cases, you can be sure .

Ah, Bella Italia - I love the place, but it is chaotic at the best of times, beautifully so, but not for this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Whats different is that the C19 protocols and containment measures are far from as strict as at the Tour. Jos van Emden from Jumbo Visma was saying on the Cycling Podcast that on one of the early stages, TJV along with three other team ( Mitchelton Scott being one of them) were all sharing the one hotel, along with members of the Carabineiri support AND - get this - members of the general public..... all in together at buffet breakfasts etc.....madness. Van Emden said it was likely that this is where Yates contracted the virus and now after rest day there is another 4 cases in the team

Crowd control has also been poor - someone put their arm around Sagan in recent days to take a selfie. The riders are victims here and there will be more cases, you can be sure .

Ah, Bella Italia - I love the place, but it is chaotic at the best of times, beautifully so, but not for this sort of thing.

Hadn't heard that. Suppose when you hear of what is going on with Italian football teams (full Italy Under 23 squad quarantined, Inter Milan have at least 6 players with it) it shouldn't be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

That's disgraceful if true. God only know the long term effects Covid might have on a riders lung capacity, even if minimal it could have a serious consequences for their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

2 of the stage favourites already gone from the list above :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Must put questions over the vuelta happening aswell now

Jumbo Visma have pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's it then with a second team gone.

End of the cycling season I would say too, Tour of Flanders and Vuelta were the only sporting events to look forward to in the coming weeks but must be highly doubtful now as they are both some of the most impacted areas in Europe.

Maybe we can muster up a Boards Team. Start in Sicily. All we have to do is make it to Milan to win :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Oh well back to Pro Cycling Manager :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didnt BMC have there own kitchen truck and dining truck a few years ago ? im suprised jumbo visma dont have that. im also suprised that anyone is eating from a buffet at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

didnt BMC have there own kitchen truck and dining truck a few years ago ? im suprised jumbo visma dont have that. im also suprised that anyone is eating from a buffet at the moment.

Tinkoff and Sky had. Not sure about the others.

Craddock was a DNS for EF today aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also listened to the velonews podcast, they had Brook Brentwalter on. Same thing regarding the hotels. I'd have that more of an issue than out on the road, where it can hardly be said fans acted any different from the Tour.

Also, I guess in some degree of fairness, Europe in a very different position now to even a few weeks ago regarding Covid.

If we get Flanders at this stage, I'd bank it!
    Brookwalter wasn't saying they were having to queue, but they went down to the dining room and it was packed, with normal residents queing for the buffet.

I think most world tour teams have their own kitchen truck, whether they have the dining facilities is different. There's one on Prime or Netflix following a chef, and it was either eat outside, or they seemed to serve in function/ meeting rooms rather than the dining room. But that was the Tour, whether they'd do that for the Giro. Not just the organisers take it less seriously/ more relaxed!

The Giro as planned wont happen next week in any case. The high mountains are going to be off-limits I reckon; the Stelvio (Check out webcam at https://pirovano.it/en/webcam-stelvio/) is in the schedule for Thurs 22nd, and the current light covering of snow could disappear overnight with a rise in temperature or be cleared off the road with sweepers, but the below zero temps in the valleys in recent days mean that any descents off the peaks could be dangerously cold for riders. There were already a couple of riders really suffering in the rain and cold on Sunday.

I hope I'm wrong, and it all goes ahead, because I really want to see the latter stages as long as they are safe. Running the Giro in the high mountains in late October is always going to be a long-shot........

It's starting to have a bang of Paris-Nice about it now. Think maybe they leave it go to the TT on Saturday and call it quits.

Really if it's as bad as some teams have been saying re: the bubbles and hotels I don't think I wast to see racing if people are at high risk of getting sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

The giro won't make it to the weekend. What that means for us fans is that we could be in for a cracking 2/3 days of racing. Anyone of the top 10 should go on an absolute tear up now in the event that it's pulled come Friday but they keep the result as it stands rather than scratch it off. Could be well worth a watch. I thought that's what Nibali was going to do Sunday but didn't bother his kacks in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Craddock was a DNS for EF today aswell.

That's probably not Covid-19, TBF. He's just getting migraines from that new team kit.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQLBn0Qf_YnYyBfApVLl43IujvIZCn4Edj98Q&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Disappointing to see the news today about Jumbo.....shocked to see that hotel buffets are still a thing tbh, I thought that was one of the first casualties of the pandemic.

Hard to see how they can keep it going really but I’m sure sponsors and tv money will outweigh any health concerns

• Advertisement

Wow FDJ sitting up. Points for Sagan today I think.

Advertisement