Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 10: Lanciano to Tortoreto (177km)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Anyone have any idea what happens if the race is curtailed due to Covid-19? Is it all null and void or do they crown winners of the various jerseys based on existing standings? Unless they start to test more, the earliest cancellation would be after the tests on the next rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Rob Hatch would wither you alright. His pronunciation of Ganna is particularly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Inquitus wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what happens if the race is curtailed due to Covid-19? Is it all null and void or do they crown winners of the various jerseys based on existing standings? Unless they start to test more, the earliest cancellation would be after the tests on the next rest day.

Saw it discussed on twitter earlier

Effectively, it’s not decided

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1315933909754970120?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

was think re the tests, surely the organisers cant stick their head in the sand and wait until next monday to do more tests? like it or not, there is an outbreak in the camp, imo it would be negligent not to take some action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Boscoirl wrote: »
    was think re the tests, surely the organisers cant stick their head in the sand and wait until next monday to do more tests? like it or not, there is an outbreak in the camp, imo it would be negligent not to take some action

I'm not sure about riders / team staff but I saw that they plan to test race staff on Wednesday anyway.

I see this quote from the race directior.
    RCS Sport has also secured several thousand rapid saliva tests for other tests between the rest days.

"We’ve done 1,500 tests since the start in Palermo, which means that going beyond the protocol. When we suspect something, we ask the teams to do (rapid) tests," Vegni explained, admitting that he is concerned other cases could emerge in the days to come.

"The tests shows the situation today. It doesn't guarantee say that the virus won’t explode," he said.

"The team who have had problems - Sunweb, Jumbo, Ineos and AG2R - were tested again today and will be tested again on Thursday to ensure that a person inside the team doesn’t infect them. We can’t do much more."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hatch has actually completely turned me off cycling coverage when he's on. It's extremely difficult to listen to him. I know not everyone has a bit of Gaeilge but it's an awful pity TG4 don't cover more races than just the TdF. Is it possible to get any other english commentary on the Giro?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The women's Giro lost their world Tour status for next year after the TV debacle — this is a much bigger issue. For the quite simple but powerful reason of putting rider health at risk by continuing the race, the UCI should consider demoting the Giro from the World Tour for next year.
    Don't disagree with the sentiment, but the UCI basically had to beg the Grand Tours to be part of the World Tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Don't disagree with the sentiment, but the UCI basically had to beg the Grand Tours to be part of the World Tour!
    You're right but even as a token gesture to say that the UCI is on side with the riders. Reports of the general public mingling with riders in hotels and the scenes of spectators up close with riders without masks(that's not necessarily RCs's fault but they could do more to limit fans like the Tour) shine a bad light on the race.

There will be multiple positives on the next rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    You're right but even as a token gesture to say that the UCI is on side with the riders. Reports of the general public mingling with riders in hotels and the scenes of spectators up close with riders without masks(that's not necessarily RCs's fault but they could do more to limit fans like the Tour) shine a bad light on the race.

There will be multiple positives on the next rest day.

Aye, RCS Sport have shown themselves up against the ASO in not handling the covid threat to the race to the same standard as the recently completed Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Rob Hatch has become quite tedious at this stage,

did anyone else read that in Rob Hatch's voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

lennymc wrote: »
    did anyone else read that in Rob Hatch's voice?

Which rob hatch voice? Posh tv voice or his "tis grim up north" voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Rob Hatch really annoying ...had Connor Dunne on the other day and didn't let him talk ...kept talking as if he was the expert and no one could get a word in

and the over pronunciation is especially annoying

Although I loved him as a rider I used to moan when the late Michelle Scarponi appeared such was the way Hatch rolled out his name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Aye, RCS Sport have shown themselves up against the ASO in not handling the covid threat to the race to the same standard as the recently completed Tour
    Interestingly on last nights Cycling Podcast, they suggested that they should've clarified following van Emden's comments. Seemingly the ASO bubbles weren't all that either, with hotels open to other guests, teams sharing etc.

Not to say RCS weren't worse, or that it shouldn't be better, but maybe we're holding RCS to a standard that even ASO didn't achieve in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It wasnt me

I see a load of Twitter glitterati have come out to ridicule Mr Anonymous and big up Rob Hatch but the guy had a point though maybe a bit over the top and rude ..it is hard to listen to Hatch and the 2nd last paragraph is correct

It’s nearly all correct but I still don’t see any need for someone to message him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is be leaving something out? Where's the xenophobia. For all we know it could be Dave 2 doors down who doesn't like him.

* Not defending anonymous trolls.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is be leaving something out? Where's the xenophobia. For all we know it could be Dave 2 doors down who doesn't like him.

* Not defending anonymous trolls.

Maybe he knows it’s an Irishman from boards having a pop at the English commentator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Got to say, I dont get all the hate on here for Hatch.
    He is knowledgeable and a huge fan of the sport and the fact that he is multilingual means that it would be ridiculous and in fact, not possible, for him to pronounce an (ie) Italian word or name in anything other that the correct way - whether it jars with some of you or not. If you were talking about Drogheda to an English person, would you refer to it as Drockada (as they mostly seem to want to pronounce the place name) just to suit that particular audience? No, I doubt it - so why rage at Hatch for "over-pronunciation" of Italian (or Spanish) names/places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The problem is that he is not knowledgeable and talks a lot of crap. As hard as it is but somehow he is worse then Kirby.
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Got to say, I dont get all the hate on here for Hatch.
    He is knowledgeable and a huge fan of the sport and the fact that he is multilingual means that it would be ridiculous and in fact, not possible, for him to pronounce an (ie) Italian word or name in anything other that the correct way - whether it jars with some of you or not. If you were talking about Drogheda to an English person, would you refer to it as Drockada (as they mostly seem to want to pronounce the place name) just to suit that particular audience? No, I doubt it - so why rage at Hatch for "over-pronunciation" of Italian (or Spanish) names/places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The problem is that he is not knowledgeable and talks a lot of crap. As hard as it is but somehow he is worse then Kirby.

He’s not worse than Kirby at all and Kirby actually is a very good commentator in other sports, motor bikes, lemans but a few that I have heard him in.
    But today he asked Kelly did he think VDP would win based on Kelly being beaten by his dad in 86😦.
    I mean ffs.

For the record I don’t really care about Hatch’s pronunciations (although he does egg on a few of them for no real reason (eg Peter Saganna).

My biggest issue is his overhyping of everything (eg calling Sagan’s win last week as the win of the century)

I know it’s a tough gig and one I couldn’t do but that doesn’t mean he’s good at it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hatch is knowledgeable and multilingual so his pronunciation of names is appropriate. However, I think he's strawmanning as finding someone's pronunciation annoying doesn't necessarily mean that tweeter is conciously/subconsiously xenophobic — they could be unaware of his lingual talents and simply dislike his commentary style. There may a be history of other inflammatory tweets that we don't know about though.

My problem with Hatch is he hasn't allowed his co-commentator much airtime lately.

I dont agree with the previous pot on pronunciation

It is not that he pronounces names correctly its that he over stretches every syllable as this SNL clip adequately demonstrates with humour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjty394oyw

Its a pain and its totally unnecessary and kind of showing off

I can pronounce french words correctly. I dont need to go to town on it and stretch every word and put on an exaggerated accent which Hatch does ...and if anyone cant hear that well I can only think their ear is not atuned

Also he doesnt give his co comms time to speak

Its good to be enthusiastic but its another thing to hog everything as if you are the expert

I dont see how any of this is xenophobia ....its seems now you cant disagree with anyone but its some sort of phobia or ism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Thought it was interesting when Ganna won his road stage. As he crossed the line, Hatch was doing his " Filipo Gahnnn-nnah" pronunciation but on TV you could also hear the finish line announcer ( who, I'm guessing, is Italian ) calling Ganna's name but with considerably less elongation and emphasis.

Advertisement