Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby monitor & general use - which camera?

• 13-10-2020 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I've had 2 Logi Circles fail recently and want to replace them but there's so many options out there now vs when I bought those it's hard to choose!

I have several CCTV outdoors so the indoor cameras are not really for security, I need 3 for monitoring the kids rooms. So one needs to be able to act as a baby monitor with constant streaming to a tablet/other device so we can hear any cries from the baby. And the other 2 will be for the other kids' rooms, two-way audio is important, we chat to them and say "back to bed" when we hear them stirring after bedtime and it's very handy, though we don't need constant on video/audio feed from those 2 cameras.

So what camera options might be good to go for which give baby monitor, standard camera functionality (like motion detection with ability to mask certain sections to avoid false triggers - very hand as we mask the beds and just have the door covered so if they move around in bed it doesn't trigger) with the ability to have an at-a-glance screen showing the live feed from all 3 cameras in one app?

Probably should have planned ahead for Amazon Prime Day better and have had this chosen beforehand....but such is the life with 3 youngsters frying the brain!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a couple of yi-home cameras. Have them a few years now and they are grand. I use it for streaming with an old fire tablet when the baby is gone to sleep and before we go to bed. It does have a 2 way audio for talking to the kids. It doesn't work well for streaming all night like a normal baby monitor because if the connection drops and reconnects then it defaults to muted. For during the night we just use a cheap audio only baby monitor which is 100% reliable. It does have motion and 'baby crying' detection but I've never used these features. The app lets you view all the cameras at once but is a paid feature as part of their cloud service subscription which I don't bother with. When we've gone on holidays in the past(remember holidays!) I would set the cameras up in the kitchen and hallway so we can keep an eye on things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had a few of the yi-homes and cheapey dome ones, if I was to buy 1 now I'd be going for a Google IQ camera, ticks all the boxes really, yes it's a bit more expensive but has all the functionality that you'll need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Clareman wrote: »
    I had a few of the yi-homes and cheapey dome ones, if I was to buy 1 now I'd be going for a Google IQ camera, ticks all the boxes really, yes it's a bit more expensive but has all the functionality that you'll need.

Is that this one here? It's showing as 340 euro, is that the correct price? Seems extremely high given there are so many options under 100 euro that do a lot, if not all of the same functionality, what would make it standout?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is that this one here? It's showing as 340 euro, is that the correct price? Seems extremely high given there are so many options under 100 euro that do a lot, if not all of the same functionality, what would make it standout?

The IQ is probably way too much for a baby cam, I'd go for this one https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://store.google.com/product/nest_cam

The standard indoor camera is great for this. I've been using one for years with my now three and a half year old. It was sub €100 recently with Google. Shop around and you'll get it for a reasonable price. This is the cheapest I've found from a quick search:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/google-nest-nc1102gb-smart-home-camera/3014J?gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGx55BuaRD5Zf3qLNFe276E20q5oNxa_yKW8_4edSSSwgZhnD2dXCalBoCPL8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Advertisement
Advertisement