Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Electric Ireland to Energia

Options
  • 13-10-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

It's my first time this year to review our electricity provider and the costs attached. Currently we are with Electric Ireland with the following costs:
    Day: 18.06
    Night: 892

I have done a comparison on Bonkers and Energia are coming out cheapest but with a high standing charge.

Can I ask, what does this standing charge mean in laymans' terms?! I don't want to switch for a reduction in unit costs just to be stung somewhere else.

Also I would like to hear anyone else's experience moving to Energia.

Thanks a million,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The standing charge is a fixed charge, billed at a daily rate per bill. If you're a heavy user then a higher standing and a lower unit charge is probably better for you than the opposite.

Electric Ireland though are a pretty high cost supplier so you'll more than likely save by moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I'm with Electric Ireland and I've thought about changing. I intend to contact the supplier/s I'm interested in, tell them how many units I was billed for (pre VAT) in my most recent EI bill and ask them how much the same amount of usage would cost if I signed up. Has anybody else done that and how did they fare out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mrs Sleeper12 either changes supplier every 12 months or gets a discount from current supplier after 12 months. Everyone should change every year as they offer discounts for new customers. Existing customers never get any discounts.

AFAIK all providers charge a higher standing charge for a night rate meter. If you don't use a lot of power at the night rate then a regular day meter is best. If you listen to the fire officers advice & never run washing machine and dishwasher while you are in bed then what would you be running at night? Car charger & immersion maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I moved to them for Gas and Electricity just under 1 year ago. Moved from Electric Ireland and at the time I'd worked out I'd save ~€280 by moving to Energia going on previous 12 months usage.

I found this website great for info on comparisons and advice on what to look out for.

Energia's online account interface is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

Just switched from Bord Gas, Electricity only. took 2 Emails to complete the whole process. Easiest ever.

If you are on any sort of an equaliser type payment, switch when your credit is low. You may have trouble getting it back.
    In my case, end of summer is best as i use more electricity in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Thanks everyone. Our contract is up in November, I will definitely be moving. Don't know why I didn't think of doing it sooner!

Advertisement