Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.4Ghz v 5Ghz problems and advice needed

Options
  • 13-10-2020 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

My chromecast kept asking me to reconnect device. After much testing I discovered it was due to the fibre broadband I just got.

The modem was broadcasting 2.4 and 5Ghz. Once I stopped it broadcasting the 5Ghz everything was stable.

I just tried to connect my laptop (5 years old) and it was unable to even see the wifi in the list of available networks.

I turned back on the 2.4 and 5Ghz and the laptop can connect without any issues. However, my chromecast keeps disconnecting.

Any advice? Is it possible to get the laptop to search/connect to 2.4 only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Whats the ISP / router? If the 2.4 and 5Ghz connections share the same name / password, this can cause issues. Might be worth renaming the 5Ghz network (just append -5G to the end) and trying to connect. Also be sure that uPnP is enabled, Chromecast requires it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

advertsfox wrote: »
    Whats the ISP / router? If the 2.4 and 5Ghz connections share the same name / password, this can cause issues. Might be worth renaming the 5Ghz network (just append -5G to the end) and trying to connect. Also be sure that uPnP is enabled, Chromecast requires it.
    ok thanks- will check

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

advertsfox wrote: »

Vodafone
    500 fibre

I just had a look there and can't separate the names for 2.4 and 5.
    Only 1 name available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Vodafone
    500 fibre

I just had a look there and can't separate the names for 2.4 and 5.
    Only 1 name available

what's the model of the modem.

i had the same issue until i separated the network out.

Advertisement