Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 adults now sleeping under a bridge after not paying their mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭doc22

seanod99 wrote: »
    I'd expect them to pay the mortgage, even if all four are on social welfare they would easily cover a mortgage of that size between them. As another poster said we would all stop work if we had any sense and get a free house shur the guviment is paying.

I despise the statement everyone is entitled to a free house, no you are not.I believe you should be entitled to help because of your situation, abused when you were a kid, lost a job and legitimately on social welfare, medical reasons, single parent etc loads of reasons... being a lazy **** and doing anything your whole life is not one of them.

Ah what nonsense!

Banks give mortgages to dole lifers?

The situation is the 4 of them have no home, what's your solution?

You do know that a fair portion of lone parents and "disability" claims are very questionable to begin with. Have child for house,partner living with them, "sore back", "depression" etc.

I don't see why anyone would begrudge a roof over someones head. They aren't moving out of mammys for a photo op to move up the housing list like the majority in Dublin

Granadino wrote: »
    publicity stunt. no friends to kip with?

Would you take them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

doc22 wrote: »

I don't see why anyone would begrudge a roof over someones head. They aren't moving out of mammys for a photo op to move up the housing list like the majority in Dublin

They now say they're able to pay 400 quid a month towards the debt with everyone on the dole. What were they doing with repayment plans the last 5 years? When at least one was working, and all four could have in theory been working.

Also, definitely photo op stuff. One photo of three of them under the bridge, no masks. Second one, all three wearing masks, in the exact same position, your ones red handbag hasn't even moved . I'd call that posing for a photo. Looks like they just showed up and sat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

shmeee wrote: »
    They've been refused emergency housing I believe.

Wow, rte hasnt taien their plight on yet? Theyll be getting one of the 70 social apartments being built on rte land... apartkent prices starting at 850k.... yes you read that right...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ah what nonsense!

The situation is the 4 of them have no home, what's your solution?

You do know that a fair portion of lone parents and "disability" claims are very questionable to begin with. Have child for house,partner living with them, "sore back", "depression" etc.

Heres my solution, let them buy a mobile home... agreed about the dublin situation. I can see a situation arising, where all new housing is bought for social housing!

• Advertisement

Would you take them in?

I would of they were my friends as that user clearly stated.
    Ah what nonsense!

They wouldn't need a mortgage from a bank, the loan is with the current company. If they did want to move to another lender, there's council loans for housing, also a charity for this exact situation. Homes for life.

Don't think that particular line is working in your favor. "There's cheats on other areas so let everybody cheat" isn't a great argument. Superb example of whataboutery though.

So..... These guys who were kicked out of daddy's house, they are ok but moving out of mammy's in Dublin... Not ok. Because??..

And who is begrudging? I think you should look the word up. People not feeling sympathy and a desire to pay for someone else is not begrudging.

Seriously now, why don't we all throw in the towel and stay in bed until lunchtime then watch tv all day in the free house and the free money? Sure anyone that doesn't agree it's only a begrudger right?

Work Christmas day? **** that. Nights? Nope. Pay taxes? Only mugs do that.

I would of they were my friends as that user clearly stated.

So you think someone would have a space to take in the four of them, indefinitely:pac: yeah sure.....
    They wouldn't need a mortgage from a bank, the loan is with the current company. If they did want to move to another lender, there's council loans for housing, also a charity for this exact situation. Homes for life.

Charity loans of 100k, the council certainly aren't giving loans to dole lifers, perhaps you could link to said loans:rolleyes:
    Don't think that particular line is working in your favor. "There's cheats on other areas so let everybody cheat" isn't a great argument. Superb example of whataboutery though.

My point was picking out "deserving" candidates is nonsense
    So..... These guys who were kicked out of daddy's house, they are ok but moving out of mammy's in Dublin... Not ok. Because??..

they'd move back in with mammy after the photo, obvs not in this case
    And who is begrudging? I think you should look the word up. People not feeling sympathy and a desire to pay for someone else is not begrudging.

Seriously now, why don't we all throw in the towel and stay in bed until lunchtime then watch tv all day in the free house and the free money? Sure anyone that doesn't agree it's only a begrudger right?

Work Christmas day? **** that. Nights? Nope. Pay taxes? Only mugs do that.

Meh , this screams of bitterness, I don't think they're living the high life. Look at them, prob lots of issues at play.If you think giving up your job and living with your father, bother and his girlfriend on the dole in some council estate in limerick is comparable/better then your current lifestyle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Get Real wrote: »
    They now say they're able to pay 400 quid a month towards the debt with everyone on the dole. What were they doing with repayment plans the last 5 years? When at least one was working, and all four could have in theory been working.

Also, definitely photo op stuff. One photo of three of them under the bridge, no masks. Second one, all three wearing masks, in the exact same position, your ones red handbag hasn't even moved . I'd call that posing for a photo. Looks like they just showed up and sat there.

And as for the graffiti over your ones head.....

So you think someone would have a space to take in the four of them, indefinitely:pac: yeah sure.....

Charity loans of 100k, the council certainly aren't giving loans to dole lifers, perhaps you could link to said loans:rolleyes:

Meh , this screams of bitterness, I don't think they're living the high life. Look at them, prob lots of issues at play.If you think giving up your job and living with your father, bother and his girlfriend on the dole in some council estate in limerick is comparable/better then your current lifestyle :rolleyes:

Keep moving those posts but it won't change the simple reality.

I would and have taken people in. Why do I need to take all 4? Aren't they all adults? Can't they do what most adults do and move out? I currently charge my licensee 400 a month inclusive in Dublin. If it was a couple it would be 500. That sponges are getting 800+ per person on the scratcher in limerick. Quick look on daft shows I can get a room for 350 a month in limerick city plus bills. Less than half their income. That leaves them about 400 a month after bills to feed and cloth themselves. What exactly is the issue here? What excuse for why this can't be accomplished?

As for the loans, let's get something straight here, it's on them that they don't have jobs all these years. Not me or anyone else, them. They chose that life. Didn't the father claim that he did work? Plenty of barmen with mortgages.

5 adults is about 800 a week, 3000+ a month. Please, in simple terms explain why people with that income and no tax or work twisted recieved expenses couldn't afford the rent / mortgage? Especially as the m they were living for years rent free. Ever hear of saving?

Here ya go: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/local_authority_mortgages.html

https://www.homeforlife.ie/

If they don't meet the pretty basic criteria, that's 100% on their lazy asses. And it's not for anyone here to bust their asses paying mortgage, bills and taxes because these assholes have chosen a life of ****e.

Moving back in with mammy or not, it's still people having a photo op to blag a gaff.

And no, I don't personally consider it better then my life but then Im a better father then this poor excuse is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm sorry for anyone who can't afford their own home even though people don't actually have to own their own home ever..renting seems fine.

But in this situation if they knew what the original owner had done, then they may have gotten some sympathy if they had spoke with the mortgage holder at the start and put in some effort.

But attempting the old 'sympathy in the gutter press' routine does them no favours.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry for anyone who can't afford their own home even though people don't actually have to own their own home ever..renting seems fine.

But in this situation if they knew what the original owner had done, then they may have gotten some sympathy if they had spoke with the mortgage holder at the start and put in some effort.

But attempting the old 'sympathy in the gutter press' routine does them no favours.

They can't afford their own home.

Social Welfare isn't there to support a mortgage. Council Housing is the solution. And in fairness to them they didn't play that card until they had to. And instead of one house the council could be on the line for 3 separate homes.:pac:

The independent and Irish times aren't what I'd call gutter press(i.e Mail,Sun etc).

I don't get the this is all an act vibe insinuated in the thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The sons are well known scumbags in Limerick just Google the names

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get Real wrote: »

The goggles do nothing...
    The masks do nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I've worked for two thirds of my life and the average “single” mother takes home more than I do just for getting the housing list with her 18th birthday card and doing half the town to get the little princesses and handsome little men whilst getting everything for free - that doesn’t fill me with bitterness. It sickens me alright.

What really sticks in my craw is being told these people are “entitled” to what they’re getting. Are they f**k as like!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

The goggles do nothing...
    The masks do nothing

The goggles do, the masks do.
    The scum wearing them do nothing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I've worked for two thirds of my life and the average “single” mother takes home more than I do just for getting the housing list with her 18th birthday card and doing half the town to get the little princesses and handsome little men whilst getting everything for free - that doesn’t fill me with bitterness. It sickens me alright.

What really sticks in my craw is being told these people are “entitled” to what they’re getting. Are they f**k as like!!

That word "entitled" really annoys me as well. Take take take and then get angry when they dont get everything from the Government (despite them feeding their children, housing them and clothing them)

And yes, I am aware there are loads of excellent people who are grateful to all of the above - I am not including them in the above at all. I just wish the press wouldnt give such a voice (and free pass) to the "entitled class"

They can't afford their own home.

Social Welfare isn't there to support a mortgage. Council Housing is the solution. And in fairness to them they didn't play that card until they had to. And instead of one house the council could be on the line for 3 separate homes.:pac:

The independent and Irish times aren't what I'd call gutter press(i.e Mail,Sun etc).

Can’t afford their home because their money is going on drugs. The father is quoted as saying that he’d paid off his sons drugs debt of €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The carefully choreographed "we have to sleep under a bridge" photoshoot is an act of unabashed bullsh1t. They insinuate their problems are because the father got laid off due to covid - more manipulative bullsh1t. They're problems are down to a lifetime of f*cking up. Let them go and available of the multitude of state supports and services (including the homeless hostel a few yards from their supposed under bridge boudoir). They're attempting a blatant heartstring hussle and they're being called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the lack of media questions in this situation.

The only people who I have ever heard challenge the status quo are the housing officers from local councils.

I remember a debate on highland radio in Donegal one morning a few years back, in the height of the homelessness crisis.

It was a local councillor who wanted everyone to get a free house wherever they wanted it, a journo and the chief housing officer of the council.

Only the latter had the balls to tell the audience the cold hard truth, about the economics of it all, how poor the takeup rate was, how people were blocking lists by their refusals, how they wanted a house beside mummy, how this garden wasn't big enough etc. He was obviously fed up of people milking the system and I was glad to hear the truth told.

Probably had no effect on the entitled though.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: the lack of media questions in this situation.

The only people who I have ever heard challenge the status quo are the housing officers from local councils.

I remember a debate on highland radio in Donegal one morning a few years back, in the height of the homelessness crisis.

It was a local councillor who wanted everyone to get a free house wherever they wanted it, a journo and the chief housing officer of the council.

Only the latter had the balls to tell the audience the cold hard truth, about the economics of it all, how poor the takeup rate was, how people were blocking lists by their refusals, how they wanted a house beside mummy, how this garden wasn't big enough etc. He was obviously fed up of people milking the system and I was glad to hear the truth told.

Probably had no effect on the entitled though.

Back in the 80’s, a close friend found herself homeless with 2 toddlers after her marriage broke down. She moved back into her old bedroom in her parents house. There they stayed until she got the offer of a recently vacated council house. She didn’t think twice. Without even looking at the house, she went and collected the keys. While all the furniture had been removed, no effort had been made to clean it. It had the very basics of bathroom ware, cooker and sink in kitchen but nothing else. We all rallied around and spent a weekend scrubbing the house from top to bottom. She moved in on the Monday with only their old beds, second hand table, chairs and one armchair. She thought that she was in heaven! Bit by bit, she painted the place inside and out! Bought floor coverings as she could afford. Turned it into a lovely home.
    Compare that with the likes of this family, Margaret Cash, Erica Fleming et al. My friend has what this lot never will. Self respect and get up and go.

• Advertisement

Back in the 80’s, a close friend found herself homeless with 2 toddlers after her marriage broke down. She moved back into her old bedroom in her parents house. There they stayed until she got the offer of a recently vacated council house...... Self respect and get up and go.

Am I missing something but she sat with parents and waited for a council house. Hardly inspiring..

Am I missing something but she sat with parents and waited for a council house. Hardly inspiring..

She was destitute. They took care of her. Once in a house and with the children starting school, she got cleaning jobs so she could be there for her children. As they got bigger, she started work in a local factory.

She was destitute. They took care of her. Once in a house and with the children starting school, she got cleaning jobs so she could be there for her children. As they got bigger, she started work in a local factory.

So she got the free house quick enough then, she wasn't 10 years living with parent till she got it. Didn't start working till she got the free gaff too. Played the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

So she got the free house quick enough then, she wasn't 10 years living with parent till she got it. Didn't start working till she got the free gaff too. Played the system.

I don't think playing the system is what you think it is.

Accepted help when she needed it. Then repaid that help by getting a job. Supporting herself. Buying a house of her own and returning a house to the council for another family. The irony is that the council then gutted the house and installed new doors, windows, bathroom ware, fitted kitchen, painted from top to bottom, carpets and tiled throughout before letting it to another family, who proceeded to trash the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Id does seem strange that 4 adults couldn't service the debt in some way to avoid eviction.

It doesn't seem strange at all when you accept they're entitled scum and this is the exact action of an entitled scumbag.

circadian wrote: »
    I don't think playing the system is what you think it is.

Not working till receiving the free house is a common tactic.Working would put her down the list with increased income.

What's your definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Do you have kids? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Not working till receiving the free house is a common tactic.Working would put her down the list with increased income.

What's your definition?

You seem to be acting slow and stupid on purpose. The example given of a divorced woman with two kids out on her ear is miles away from the lifetime dole scoungers who totally play the system.

Any normal person can see this difference, most people can understand that safety nets are there for a reason and would support those nets.

But this family in Limerick and countless like them are total wasters, they make no attempts at bettering their position and everyone else pays for it.

• Advertisement

Accepted help when she needed it. Then repaid that help by getting a job. Supporting herself. Buying a house of her own and returning a house to the council for another family. The irony is that the council then gutted the house and installed new doors, windows, bathroom ware, fitted kitchen, painted from top to bottom, carpets and tiled throughout before letting it to another family, who proceeded to trash the place!

You didn't mention her leaving the "lovely home" in initial post. Very convenient narrative....

Advertisement