Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 adults now sleeping under a bridge after not paying their mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I briefly looked at the comments on social media and they aren’t getting a lot of sympathy which in unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

So basically grandfather died and didn't leave the house to any of them, left it to the bank instead (in exchange for money given to him a few years earlier). Bank said they could "buy it back" for €52k but they couldn't afford it. So they just decided to stay in a house that none of them had any financial interest in, rent free for 5 years, against the will of the owner (bank) and are now shocked that they've been kicked out. And in that 5 years while they knew that this day was coming, they hadn't saved a cent, not even enough for a b&b for the night, between 5 grown adults.
    I can see why people are struggling to find any sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Does anybody actually believe that they are living under a bridge? I'd say they spent the time to take that photo and do that interview there and that's about it really.

Living under a bridge? At least buy an old caravan and take to the road.

Dare I say it but it looks like these people have had free accommodation their whole lives and are lost when that is taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I briefly looked at the comments on social media and they aren’t getting a lot of sympathy which in unusual.

Probably because people are getting tired of this type of sh1t.

tscul32 wrote: »
    So basically grandfather died and didn't leave the house to any of them, left it to the bank instead (in exchange for money given to him a few years earlier). Bank said they could "buy it back" for €52k but they couldn't afford it. So they just decided to stay in a house that none of them had any financial interest in, rent free for 5 years, against the will of the owner (bank) and are now shocked that they've been kicked out. And in that 5 years while they knew that this day was coming, they hadn't saved a cent, not even enough for a b&b for the night, between 5 grown adults.
    I can see why people are struggling to find any sympathy.

That's not quite accurate. The bank originally loaned the house owner €52k back in 2007 but there would have been a sh1tload of interest due too by the time he died in 2015 so the house would have cost in excess of €110k to buy back from the bank in 2015. That's how those mortgages work.

The rest of what you have said is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My guess is this was going for a long time and it's the refusal to pay or even pay a nominal sum that got them there. Sorry but I was made redundant in 2009 - negioiated with my lender and managed to keep a modest mortgage paid even when I got re-employed on a fraction of my salary. Im guessing they refused to adopt this appraoch. Zero sympathy from me I'm afraid.

arctictree wrote: »
    Living under a bridge? At least buy an old caravan and take to the road.

Dare I say it but it looks like these people have had free accommodation their whole lives and are lost when that is taken away.

This is obviously speculation but I'd say they are the type to get a bag of cans as soon as they get their dole money.

And to hell with personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The Grandfather SOLD the house to a Financial institution in 2007 for €52,700 with the agreement that they would take possession of the house on his death or they would accept a lump sum payment to settle the debt in lieu.

That is the basic fact.

His family - Son and several grand children were living in the house at the time of his death.

They did not own the house when he died, so from the moment he died , they became squatters.

The choices available to them were (and still are) - Return the house to it's owners (The Bank) or pay the money to settle the bill.

Clearly they don't have the money and don't have a way of getting it so the only path open to them is to leave the house they are illegally occupying and finding somewhere else.

They have had 5 years to make these plans and specifically they lost a case in the high court in February when they attempted to challenge the facts of the case.

Covid , it being cold , them apparently living under a bridge etc. are all irrelevant to the facts of the case.

They have been illegally squatting in a house they never owned for 5 years and were told in the high court 8 months ago to get out.

I wonder was it the Keanes or the Dundons the father had to get the 50k to pay off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

BPKS wrote: »
    I wonder was it the Keanes or the Dundons the father had to get the 50k to pay off?

A drug debt did cross my mind. Its happening every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If they had presented themselves to Limerick Council housing department, or any of the many homeless charities they would immediately have been given emergency accommodation. Only those who choose to do so will have to sleep on the streets anymore which is a very good thing. They may not have been able to stay together, but would have B+B or somewhere to stay. Probably not happy with that, so are now hoping for a council house stat!

Sounds like there are few brain cells amongst them all unfortunately for them. But having said that, and apologies for voicing it, people like these usually have a degree in their entitlements from the State.

I'm happy to contribute but hate the way some people abuse the generosity of our State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

i wish them the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Staged nonsense. This is your one Cash sleeping in garda station all over again. PR stunt. And he conveniently picked the bridge that his brother jumped off and kill himself. Give me a break. If they'd even pay a few quid a week they'd get to stay there forever. The son misy have mental health issues if he is 29 and going with a cat fishing 60 year old claiming to be 36.
    No sympathy here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Akabusi wrote: »
    You're not missing anything. They have no excuse and don't deserve our pity. This is Ireland not America even if they had made a token effort to pay they would still have a roof over their heads.
    Two minds whether they deserve any pity. But even in America, had they files bankruptcy in a case like this their home would have been protected.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jaysus if Debbie is 36 she has had a LOT of hard life experience.

Sorry all these adults could work. Nothing stopping them working for the past 5 years.

Obviously they KNEW this was coming, court cases would have informed them and they chose to do NOTHING.

Even if the load was 130K with 5 adults in the house, each of them could have contributed to paying off the loan. Something not right about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've tried to hire some people for jobs in last few months and once was told out straight that it wasn't worth his while as he gets PUP from the state. Others have said it in a roundabout way by saying commute was too far, hours didn't suit etc
    They're not magnificent jobs but they are 450 a week or so plus overtime of up to 100 or more on top if they want and I can't fill them.

NSAman wrote: »

Sorry all these adults could work. Nothing stopping them working for the past 5 years.

Obviously they KNEW this was coming, court cases would have informed them and they chose to do NOTHING.

Even if the load was 130K with 5 adults in the house, each of them could have contributed to paying off the loan. Something not right about all this.

They are 5 scroungers, too lazy to better themselves and want everything for free. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,763 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there any hostels open nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Easily believe she's 36, amazing how drugs,booze and ciggies can age someone

Her paper round must have been in Kandahar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

323 wrote: »
    Two minds whether they deserve any pity. But even in America, had they files bankruptcy in a case like this their home would have been protected.

IT. WASN'T. THEIR. HOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Let's analyze this.

This sounds like someone who tried hard in life.

And it would explain why he has no dole ...the pub is CLOSED because of covid ....and his payments are not being paid yet.

His wife may not be working. Or may be unable to work. It says in the article their other son died by suicide a few years ago. I am sure this took its toll on the family.

Sounds like he inherited a bad situation. Perhaps his father was given bad financial advice. Sounds like the family was.

Its unlikely ALL of them are drugging alcoholics. Although i certainly wouldn't blame them after losing a son to suicide.

It also seems he was a carer for his father. Perhaps this was the reason for the loan.

You really are some eejit that will believe anything.

They will be laughing their asses off at gullible people like you.

And sadly I know a few families that have lost children to suicide and funnily enough they still pay their way.
    And don't ever use it as an excuse not to. :mad:
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Indeed - Quite possible , there's been no mention of what the €52.7K was spent on.

Convenient that there is no mention of where oh where the 52.7k went.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭20/20

I think the grandfather may have been quite clever and seems to have got a nice tidy sum under an equity release scheme, considering what the property is worth now . Its not rely a mortgage.
    The grandfather would have known his son was a waster and could probably see the same with the grandkids. So back in 2007 maybe he decided to cash in his asset to enjoy what was left of his life. He may have guessed the son would just piss the house away if left as inheritance. Iam sure the son would have been aware the house is gone when daddy dies. But chose to do noting. He probably enjoyed some of that cash windfall and been the fathers carer may even have had some control over it.
    So no sympathy from me for four adults that just spent the last five years living rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Does anybody actually believe that they are living under a bridge? I'd say they spent the time to take that photo and do that interview there and that's about it really.

Any one of our Limerick correspondants care to have a peek to see if they are in residence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's confusing. They got a reverse mortgage, which means it was sold/gone by the time of the father's death, that's the deal usually. So I'm not sure what they were paying, or not paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The sad part is that is hard working fcuktards are going to be paying for their lifestyles till they leave this earth.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

Any one of our Limerick correspondents care to have a peek to see if they are in residence?

I'll be in town tomorrow and will have a look.

My husband worked with Debbie's mother for years. Debbie herself worked with them on and off for a few months. I know that Debbie had 2 young children at that time (2012).

I could say a lot more about story this but will leave it at that.

Forgot to add, the 36 would be about right. I remember her being 28 in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Any one of our Limerick correspondants care to have a peek to see if they are in residence?

Honestly that little spot is a wash with p** & s***. It is also completely open to the wind off the Shannon. There's a little green next to it we call Poor Man's Kilkee where kids and probably now adults go to drink cans and that spot is it's toilet.

If that's where they picked to sleep it's a mental home not a homeless shelter they need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

NSAman wrote: »

They like many others out there want a free house and welfare for life . Simple really , a couple of nights under a bridge is a small price to pay .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

LuasSimon wrote: »
    They like many others out there want a free house and welfare for life . Simple really , a couple of nights under a bridge is a small price to pay .

I'd wager my life they didn't spend one let alone two nights under the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A house in St Mary's park is worth next to near fxck all. These guys didn't engage at all, there's no doubt about that. It's through a lack of skillset to be able to manage basic life challenges and tasks, and through not giving a bollix. It's self destructive and we've seen it too many times.

You are talking 300 quid a month tops. With the right help they absolutely could have managed their way through this. There are very complex problems at play here though; it's terribly sad in a lot of ways.

Nevertheless, always bemuses me to see the amount of people knocking one out to the misfortunes of lower socioeconomic classes. We see the same in Britain. We've seen the same since the dawn of time nearly. Tell the people with the pitchforks that the people with the torches are out to **** them over, and tell the people with the torches that the people with the pitchforks are trying to take them. Then kick back and relax.

The Brit gets sacked, replaced with a foreigner who'll work cheaper and on less favorable terms; the owners pocket the profit; and then Brit blames the foreigner. The Brit sits back and watches Benefits Street, but never tunes into Tax Dodger Street. And in Ireland, the response is always "those fucckers on Welfare pulling a fast one again". Never looking at the bigger issues, and who is really causing the bigger amount of damage here.

These equity release loans should be banned in my view, especially when they are targeting people with low financial literacy, and even more so when the intrinsic value of the property is more than the market value. And that's the case here. It's gouging, and I doubt the man who took the loan grasped that. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I have staff on my payroll in the 40-60 grand bucket and they haven't a clue either. We don't do financial literacy in this country. Look at our public sector and the influence of unions. Packed with overinflated cost, wages, and pensions.

My sister knows that younger guy. He does love under the bridge but he is never short of cans on Parnell Street. He seems happy enough, he's well fed.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there any hostels open nearby?

Not sure if serious. But, there are steps to the bridge about 15 feet from where the indo photo was taken. At the top of the steps is a hostel. So, rather close.

Advertisement