Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 adults now sleeping under a bridge after not paying their mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

893bet wrote: »
    Father was a sick **** clearly.

Who calls their son John when their last name is Johnson.

The father was John as well obviously

John
    John Johnson
    John Johnsonson
    John Johnsonsonson
    etc.

Johnson inception

It could have been much worse. His oul' fella's name could have been Boris!

myshirt wrote: »

These equity release loans should be banned in my view, especially when they are targeting people with low financial literacy, and even more so when the intrinsic value of the property is more than the market value. And that's the case here. It's gouging, and I doubt the man who took the loan grasped that. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

The grandfather totally took the banker for a ride.

I'd be fairly certain the banker that brokered this deal is in one of two jobs as of October 2020. Either an assistant manager at a McDonalds or CEO of a large banking corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

"Worked all my life in the bar trade".

Sure, he be da guy sitting at that table there, selling you back your stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner
    Sometimes I feel like my only friend
    Is the city I live in, the city of angels
    Lonely as I am, together we cry

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    would be to obligate the lending Institutions to ensure that the other side has engaged with someone to assist them - Or at least offered it to them and had an explicit refusal.

The banks etc. should be forced to provide details on Services like MABS etc. and to have asked the customer if they have engaged those services repeatedly throughout the process.

Ah here. Practically everytime you turn on the radio there is an ad for MABS. My Credit card was over the limit by 30 quid and I got a letter from the bank suggesting we could work out a payment plan and suggested I contacted MABS.

You can't force someone to engage a solicitor or one of the free services , but at the very least you can make sure that no one misses out on their use because they didn't know that they were there.

You'd have to be living under a bridge(;)) to not know about the various supports out there.

Engage with the bank and they very rarely repossess. I suspect in this case they didn't engage with anyone, head in the sand and pretended everything would be fine. They were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If those 5 adults were receiving the dole they had the guts of €1,500 going into that house every week. Probably free medical cards as well.

They were better off than most families imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is 2020's version of the Margaret Cash story.

Will probably be reported in the same one-sided way as that story was.
    No hard questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If those 5 adults were receiving the dole they had the guts of €1,500 going into that house every week. Probably free medical cards as well.

They were better off than most families imo.

5 adults in the same family group would not all receive the full amount. The couple, for example, would not receive the full amount each. One would be classed as an adult dependant of the other and one would get a reduced payment, either directly or indirectly.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    5 adults in the same family group would not all receive the full amount. The couple, for example, would not receive the full amount each. One would be classed as an adult dependant of the other and one would get a reduced payment, either directly or indirectly.

Read the article. It's 4 adults. Father, 2 sons and the allegedly 36 year old girlfriend of one of the sons.

There's still 700+ going into the house a week. If they paid 100 out of that a week(25 euros each) towards the mortgage, that would be 5200 a year. If they had done that over the past 5 years, they'd have 26,000 paid off the debt and would not now be living under a bridge.

I know that area, and its a cold windy spot. I still suspect there is more to this story than is being reported.

Read the article. It's 4 adults. Father, 2 sons and the allegedly 36 year old girlfriend of one of the sons.

There's still 700+ going into the house a week. If they paid 100 out of that a week(25 euros each) towards the mortgage, that would be 5200 a year. If they had done that over the past 5 years, they'd have 26,000 paid off the debt and would not now be living under a bridge.

I know that area, and its a cold windy spot. I still suspect there is more to this story than is being reported.

I'might not disputing that between them they couldnt have made payments, just the idea that €1500 was going into the house each week. And the son aand his girlfriend would be treated as a couple by the Dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    "Worked all my life in the bar trade".

Sure, he be da guy sitting at that table there, selling you back your stolen goods.

In the next breath he says he was on a community employment scheme for three years.

Are people who are genuinely briefly between jobs put on those schemes?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    In the next breath he says he was on a community employment scheme for three years.

You're not 'put on' these schemes. You have to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You're not 'put on' these schemes. You have to apply.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Article linked in OP mentions three sons living with the father, plus the girlfriend of one of the sons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

“I’ve three sons living with me and one of their girlfriends."Mr Johnson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

padd b1975 wrote: »

Yes, not an awful lot of water under the bridge between these.

If you're gonna troll for a free gaff, I guess living under a bridge is fairly appropriate.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They said that they couldn't get through to the homeless helpline due to a technical issue. I know it's covid and all but surely you could still call to them at the door and get some sort of help

Eh? I don't follow. It's a call center. They arrange the place to stay and you go direct.

Hard to believe this issue only effected them and not the hundreds of others that called

myshirt wrote: »
    A house in St Mary's park is worth next to near fxck all. These guys didn't engage at all, there's no doubt about that. It's through a lack of skillset to be able to manage basic life challenges and tasks, and through not giving a bollix. It's self destructive and we've seen it too many times.

You are talking 300 quid a month tops. With the right help they absolutely could have managed their way through this. There are very complex problems at play here though; it's terribly sad in a lot of ways.

Nevertheless, always bemuses me to see the amount of people knocking one out to the misfortunes of lower socioeconomic classes. We see the same in Britain. We've seen the same since the dawn of time nearly. Tell the people with the pitchforks that the people with the torches are out to **** them over, and tell the people with the torches that the people with the pitchforks are trying to take them. Then kick back and relax.

The Brit gets sacked, replaced with a foreigner who'll work cheaper and on less favorable terms; the owners pocket the profit; and then Brit blames the foreigner. The Brit sits back and watches Benefits Street, but never tunes into Tax Dodger Street. And in Ireland, the response is always "those fucckers on Welfare pulling a fast one again". Never looking at the bigger issues, and who is really causing the bigger amount of damage here.

These equity release loans should be banned in my view, especially when they are targeting people with low financial literacy, and even more so when the intrinsic value of the property is more than the market value. And that's the case here. It's gouging, and I doubt the man who took the loan grasped that. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I have staff on my payroll in the 40-60 grand bucket and they haven't a clue either. We don't do financial literacy in this country. Look at our public sector and the influence of unions. Packed with overinflated cost, wages, and pensions.

My sister knows that younger guy. He does love under the bridge but he is never short of cans on Parnell Street. He seems happy enough, he's well fed.

Your staff are better paid than the majority in the public sector including nurses who are working their arses off.

Save the union bashing because the majority of union members, unions and strikes are in the private sector (luas and Debenhams)

I've tried to hire some people for jobs in last few months and once was told out straight that it wasn't worth his while as he gets PUP from the state. Others have said it in a roundabout way by saying commute was too far, hours didn't suit etc
    They're not magnificent jobs but they are 450 a week or so plus overtime of up to 100 or more on top if they want and I can't fill them.

Minimum wage is 10.10. if it's full-time positions you are just about making it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If more people were evicted for not making an effort to pay a mortgage rates would come down, and it would free up housing for others. There is no hope that mortgage couldn't have been maintained if they had a will.

This story really is an example of the full emotion stirring, poorly researched, drivel our media churns out as part of their anti government (any government) agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Give up the fags and they would pay the loan with cash to spare. Non story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Doesn't sound made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

lol at this thread, not one person a bit sympathetic. Not that there should be sympathy, but there's usually a few anyway. This definitely isn't Twitter. Where are all the lefties?

but... I nearly feel a bit bad for them! this one doesn't grind my gears like other ones. I know they were squatting, but that doesn't enrage me as people getting getting brand new 400k council houses in an estate when others had to buy them normally. His house was in assumpta park, hardly the nicest spot in Limerick. And he wasn't taking government money when squatting in the house. I nearly say he should have never left the house when the bailiffs came.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

lol at this thread, not one person a bit sympathetic. Not that there should be sympathy, but there's usually a few anyway. This definitely isn't Twitter. Where are all the lefties?

but... I nearly feel a bit bad for them! this one doesn't grind my gears like other ones. I know they were squatting, but that doesn't enrage me as people getting getting brand new 400k council houses in an estate when others had to buy them normally. His house was in assumpta park, hardly the nicest spot in Limerick. And he wasn't taking government money when squatting in the house. I nearly say he should have never left the house when the bailiffs came.

They are looking for a brand new 400k council house or to be housed for free.

Important in these times they keep their money for the important things, the essentials such as booze, smokes and takeaways.

But the blame isn't with them in this case, its with the media and their love of (poorly researched) sob stories /hit pieces on the "right/free market"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe we should have full blown totalitarian communism for 10 years, it might be the kick up the hole we need.

*everyone housed - flat assigned to your family - take it or break rocks in the gulag.

*everyone employed - job assigned - take it or break rocks in the gulag.

*media on-side - journo writes this type of whinge piece - break rocks in the gulag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's 11.25 an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Doesn't sound made up?

Not made up at all. Warehouse/workshop operative positions and serious hassle getting staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely pathetic that covid is been used as an excuse, the loan was repayable 5 years ago and they clearly made no attempt to pay it.

Repossession is the last thing the bank want, it costs money to go to the high court plus repossession costs and they are landed with an asset they don't want. You could come to an arrangement with them of what you can afford it's not difficult.

Go cry to Paul Murphy he loves these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

5 years living in someone else's house rent free, I would think that the company that lent the money have lost alot on this one between legal fees etc.

Advertisement