Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 adults now sleeping under a bridge after not paying their mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5 years living in someone else's house rent free, I would think that the company that lent the money have lost alot on this one between legal fees etc.

I'd send them the bill for rent too. Deduct it from there dole the *****

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

publicity stunt. no friends to kip with?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

myshirt wrote: »
    A house in St Mary's park is worth next to near fxck all. These guys didn't engage at all, there's no doubt about that. It's through a lack of skillset to be able to manage basic life challenges and tasks, and through not giving a bollix. It's self destructive and we've seen it too many times.

You are talking 300 quid a month tops. With the right help they absolutely could have managed their way through this. There are very complex problems at play here though; it's terribly sad in a lot of ways.

Nevertheless, always bemuses me to see the amount of people knocking one out to the misfortunes of lower socioeconomic classes. We see the same in Britain. We've seen the same since the dawn of time nearly. Tell the people with the pitchforks that the people with the torches are out to **** them over, and tell the people with the torches that the people with the pitchforks are trying to take them. Then kick back and relax.

The Brit gets sacked, replaced with a foreigner who'll work cheaper and on less favorable terms; the owners pocket the profit; and then Brit blames the foreigner. The Brit sits back and watches Benefits Street, but never tunes into Tax Dodger Street. And in Ireland, the response is always "those fucckers on Welfare pulling a fast one again". Never looking at the bigger issues, and who is really causing the bigger amount of damage here.

These equity release loans should be banned in my view, especially when they are targeting people with low financial literacy, and even more so when the intrinsic value of the property is more than the market value. And that's the case here. It's gouging, and I doubt the man who took the loan grasped that. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I have staff on my payroll in the 40-60 grand bucket and they haven't a clue either. We don't do financial literacy in this country. Look at our public sector and the influence of unions. Packed with overinflated cost, wages, and pensions.

My sister knows that younger guy. He does love under the bridge but he is never short of cans on Parnell Street. He seems happy enough, he's well fed.

assumpta park is not st marys park though its quite close to it , its certainly not in moyross as the article states

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not made up at all. Warehouse/workshop operative positions and serious hassle getting staff.

Are there conditions like "1-2 years experience", "must have valid safe pass/manual handling, etc?"

Are there conditions like "1-2 years experience", "must have valid safe pass/manual handling, etc?"

Whatever about the relevant experience. You can get safe pass/manual handling training yourself. Requires some initiative. Possibly even paid for by SW.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the relevant experience. You can get safe pass/manual handling training yourself. Requires some initiative. Possibly even paid for by SW.

Not safe pass. One time yes but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Most companies in that type of industry would have minimum requirements such as arms, legs and a pulse. Once you have those they’ll give you a start.

€195 would seem a good investment if you wanted a job in that area.

https://www.quicktraining.ie/county/index.php?county=Cork

€195 would seem a good investment if you wanted a job in that area.

https://www.quicktraining.ie/county/index.php?county=Cork

195 is robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭monseiur

Where are the myriad of Homeless Charities when you need them eh?
    'Homeless Charities' is big business here, Fr. Perter McVerry recently admitted, when interviewed on radio, that the McVerry Trust has more people on it's payroll in Dublin that there are homeless people in the whole of Dublin....and it's CEO is paid €150,000 the trust is 95% bankrolled by us the taxpayer and the balance is collected...also coming this time directly from the taxpayer pocket.
    I got the impression the Fr. Peter was now becoming uncomfortable/embarrassed with his name being associated with the charity.
    Are ''charities'' subject to independent annual audits ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When did that stop?

When I got my last renewal, two absolute wasters signed in with DSP as their 'employer' and then fecked off immediately; didn't do the course and of course didn't actually get the card - but presumably kept someone off their back for a week or two.

The entire thing is basically an English language comprehension test pretending to be a safety course - they really need to let people who already hold them just do the sodding exam; its the biggest waste of my time going every few years; especially considering I only need it about two or three times in between!

Maybe we should have full blown totalitarian communism for 10 years, it might be the kick up the hole we need.

*everyone housed - flat assigned to your family - take it or break rocks in the gulag.

*everyone employed - job assigned - take it or break rocks in the gulag.

*media on-side - journo writes this type of whinge piece - break rocks in the gulag.

What if the job you are assigned is breaking rocks in the Gulag? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭monseiur

If an unemployed person registers on a FAS/Solas type scheme the Safe Pass is free.........but that would mean getting up in the morning every second week, sure we couldn't have that especially with the serious treat that, if qualified for something, he would have to work, pay rent or mortgage pay medical bills etc etc. Work is an alien word in certain families, towns.

195 is robbery.

If it means fulfilling a requirement to get a job? :confused: Robbery, Investment. Calls it what ya like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭maebee

Any one of our Limerick correspondents care to have a peek to see if they are in residence?

I passed by around 2 o'clock today. Nothing there, not even the usual cans and fag butts. It looked spotless today, for a change.

maebee wrote: »
    I passed by around 2 o'clock today. Nothing there, not even the usual cans and fag butts. It looked spotless today, for a change.

Housekeeping called by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If you'd class those as conditions that are somehow a barrier to gaining employment I'm absolutely stumped.
    1-2 years experience is nice too but to me that just means you aren't 16 anymore. Congrats on getting experience. Wouldn't be relevant except for employing teenagers.

Try this on for size, my particular qualifications I have got over the years

BA Finance
    MA Economics and Maths
    CIMA Qualified Accountant
    QFA financial advisor
    CIPD HR qualification

The first one was free when university education was more or less subsidised but I worked part time all the way through it. The others were all done part time during full employment. 2 of them were done in evenings when I was wrecked tired and had 100 other things I'd prefer to be doing.

I got them off my own bat to get where I am and now someone is giving out about a manual handling cert?? Had an agency worker again today jack it in for no other reason apart from going back on the dole where he came from 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks work and he'd had enough.

But for these particular jobs there is no requirement for any qualifications but we put the employees through online courses as needed

Manual handling
    Abrasive wheel
    Safety at work
    Fire hazards
    CIF Covid 19

I have done all these myself too. Absolute doddle.

If they work on any of our customer sites and need safe pass we put them through that too. Its a metal products industry but the jobs we are looking at are pretty unskilled. The skilled fabricators/welders/technicians /fitters are earning up to 22 euro an hour plus overtime at 33 euro per hour. Some of them started in same company at much lower wages, like the lads we are trying to hire now.

But huge number of lads don't want to work.

monseiur wrote: »
    'Homeless Charities' is big business here, Fr. Perter McVerry recently admitted, when interviewed on radio, that the McVerry Trust has more people on it's payroll in Dublin that there are homeless people in the whole of Dublin

That's mad..
    And it's only one of however many..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

'Homeless Charities' is big business here, Fr. Perter McVerry recently admitted, when interviewed on radio, that the McVerry Trust has more people on it's payroll in Dublin that there are homeless people in the whole of Dublin....and it's CEO is paid €150,000 the trust is 95% bankrolled by us the taxpayer and the balance is collected...also coming this time directly from the taxpayer pocket.
    I got the impression the Fr. Peter was now becoming uncomfortable/embarrassed with his name being associated with the charity.

I think there was €280m in the budget to be given to the homelessness charity industry to help 6,000 families get off the streets.

Do the maths. €46,000 per family!!!! All paid to the homeless industry.

If you'd class those as conditions that are somehow a barrier to gaining employment I'm absolutely stumped.
    1-2 years experience is nice too but to me that just means you aren't 16 anymore. Congrats on getting experience. Wouldn't be relevant except for employing teenagers.

Try this on for size, my particular qualifications I have got over the years

BA Finance
    MA Economics and Maths
    CIMA Qualified Accountant
    QFA financial advisor
    CIPD HR qualification

The first one was free when university education was more or less subsidised but I worked part time all the way through it. The others were all done part time during full employment. 2 of them were done in evenings when I was wrecked tired and had 100 other things I'd prefer to be doing.

I got them off my own bat to get where I am and now someone is giving out about a manual handling cert?? Had an agency worker again today jack it in for no other reason apart from going back on the dole where he came from 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks work and he'd had enough.

But for these particular jobs there is no requirement for any qualifications but we put the employees through online courses as needed

Manual handling
    Abrasive wheel
    Safety at work
    Fire hazards
    CIF Covid 19

I have done all these myself too. Absolute doddle.

If they work on any of our customer sites and need safe pass we put them through that too. Its a metal products industry but the jobs we are looking at are pretty unskilled. The skilled fabricators/welders/technicians /fitters are earning up to 22 euro an hour plus overtime at 33 euro per hour. Some of them started in same company at much lower wages, like the lads we are trying to hire now.

But huge number of lads don't want to work.

Right fair enough, I stand corrected on the money. Was late and Im not very intelligent.

Whats the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Drinking pints is not working in the bar trade all your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Right fair enough, I stand corrected on the money. Was late and Im not very intelligent.

Whats the work?

Generally packing goods for customers, taking in deliveries, bit of forklift driving if we could get someone with the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think there was €280m in the budget to be given to the homelessness charity industry to help 6,000 families get off the streets.

Do the maths. €46,000 per family!!!! All paid to the homeless industry.

Strange how that is never questioned. That is a staggering number.

Thousands are articles questioning the homeless crisis and the government, not one questioning the charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Generally packing goods for customers, taking in deliveries, bit of forklift driving if we could get someone with the licence.

If someone comes in to your place with a forklift licence and you put them up on a forklift and they have an accident, you might be in trouble.

Training has to be site specific. For example, I could have a forklift licence and only ever used a forklift to load empty pallets onto a lorry. Then I quit, go work for you but you have high racking in your warehouse. I've never been trained to stack/destack in high racking so technically I'm not trained to drive a forklift in your warehouse.

Nobody can drive a forklift in our place until they've done forklift training in our place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thousands are articles questioning the homeless crisis and the government, not one questioning the charities.

Thats a real pet hate of mine about the media in Ireland.

There is never hard questions asked, for fear of being attacked. Back when there was no such thing as Covid or Brexit, homelessness was the staple diet of the media, never off the airwaves. But they were always falling over themselves to say how it was terrible for these poor 10,000 people, but they took everything at face value and never asked a single question that could be seen as controversial, such as "why are 50% of offer of housing turned down", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    assumpta park is not st marys park though its quite close to it , its certainly not in moyross as the article states

Fair enough. It isn't. I'm just conditioned to calling that entire part of Limerick St Mary's Park or The Island field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And yet not one family is sleeping on the streets.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats a real pet hate of mine about the media in Ireland.

There is never hard questions asked, for fear of being attacked. Back when there was no such thing as Covid or Brexit, homelessness was the staple diet of the media, never off the airwaves. But they were always falling over themselves to say how it was terrible for these poor 10,000 people, but they took everything at face value and never asked a single question that could be seen as controversial, such as "why are 50% of offer of housing turned down", etc.

I've been banging this drum for years here.

Haven't heard the 10,000 media and opposition soundbite in ages now that you mention it.

More juicier headlines with covid.

Surely people will start seeing this homeless scam for what it is.

Years of been brainwashed into believing the government want to put families on the streets to line their pockets.

Ah I'm done, sick to death of the whole nonsense.

SF can have Maggie and Erica and get into government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭4Ad

Did I once hear on the radio that there was either 17 or 24 Homeless organisations in Dublin ??
    Could be wrong.
    If so it seems really badly planned.

Advertisement