Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 adults now sleeping under a bridge after not paying their mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

BA Finance
    MA Economics and Maths
    CIMA Qualified Accountant

This is a single qualification not three

You do not qualify out of university or from the master's, master's gives you exemptions to some exams, the balance you sit to qualify.

The university aspect has half the content and a year less in duration so is worth circa 1.5 years of other level 8's which necessitates the masters and qualification exams to reach par

How much di you charge her after that :D:D:D:D $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Initially I was going to waive my callout fee, single mother of two after all. The callout fee came back in force after I heard how much she pays in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This isn't true of equity release loans as far as I know. If you borrow €50k today with Seniors Money, you will owe €132,957 in 20 years. I never realised it was the case but someone in my family took one out.

Here's the link so you can see for yourself:

https://www.seniorsmoney.ie/new-loans/lifetime-loan-calculator/

Bear in mind, the amount of equity you can release is more stringently controlled now, which it wasn't before. It racks up fast to the full value of the property.

What's interesting about that is the fact that a house in Assumpta Park got equity release of 52700.

By using the calculator in the link you included, for an equity release of 52700 for a 70-year old, the house would have to be valued at over 200,000, which was never the case with property in that part of Limerick. Often less than half that these days I'd say.

Different calculator in use in 2007 I suppose, and different limits on equity release as you mentioned, but still seems a really bad decision by the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

osarusan wrote: »
    What's interesting about that is the fact that a house in Assumpta Park got equity release of 52700.

By using the calculator in the link you included, for an equity release of 52700 for a 70-year old, the house would have to be valued at over 200,000, which was never ever the case with property in that part of Limerick. Often less than half that I'd say.

Different calculator in use in 2007 I suppose, and different limits on equity release as you mentioned, but still seems a really bad decision by the bank.
    We all partied baby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We all partied baby

Actually no..... But I'm sure there is a hint of sarcasm in there.....

I didn't, I'm actually working 21. Years which now I couldn't believe and also makes me feel old, only able to but last year and a long mortgage ahead...

I could have taken out all sorts of loans and so on as they were throwing them at people but I knew better and didn't live outside my means

• Advertisement

Actually no..... But I'm sure there is a hint of sarcasm in there.....

I didn't, I'm actually working 21. Years which now I couldn't believe and also makes me feel old, only able to but last year and a long mortgage ahead...

I could have taken out all sorts of loans and so on as they were throwing them at people but I knew better and didn't live outside my means

That puts you around the same place as I which means you very much did live in the Celtic tiger days. Maybe you were sensible, I like to think I was as well but dont pretent the wages werent going up and we could afford non essentials

That puts you around the same place as I which means you very much did live in the Celtic tiger days. Maybe you were sensible, I like to think I was as well but dont pretent the wages werent going up and we could afford non essentials

110% I never had a loan or bought anything I couldn't afford, cars, bikes other things I paid cash and other things too.

Only in the last 2½ years I've ever took out a credit union loan and paid back to look better for mortgage which helped.

I'm in no way rich or well off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think there was €280m in the budget to be given to the homelessness charity industry to help 6,000 families get off the streets.

Do the maths. €46,000 per family!!!! All paid to the homeless industry.

Shameful.

Good luck getting anyone to shine a meaningful light on the obvious lack of anything resembling value for money.

Professional suicide for any journalist sadly.

110% I never had a loan or bought anything I couldn't afford, cars, bikes other things I paid cash and other things too.

Only in the last 2½ years I've ever took out a credit union loan and paid back to look better for mortgage which helped.

I'm in no way rich or well off either.

thats not the issue at play. Celtic tiger was about employment and income. We all partied be it locally or on holidays or in property. Plenty used existing income to do so, thats the point when people say 'we partied' because we were, compared to most, very well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanod99

No ones fault but theirs, now they are clogging up the homeless services for someone like a family or someone who actually deserves it. I have no sympathy for them. I believe in helping people in society/social welfare when they are in a dire sitaution, I don't believe in helping people who contribute nothing.
    I don't believe I'm being harsh, as another poster said, this is Ireland, if they were in a dire situation, medical, financial or otherwise they would be helped and we wouldn't be seeing this article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Good luck getting anyone to shine a meaningful light on the obvious lack of anything resembling value for money.

Professional suicide for any journalist sadly.

Can you imagine the abuse they'd get on Twitter? The disconnect between the opinions you get in the local pub and of journalists and the media is getting wider and wider, solely because of Twitter I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Everybody should have a roof over their head, I agree with that. But if you don't have the means to get one yourself, it's got to be a basic house. Back in the day, that was in a council estate or the flats, and they could be rough. But that's the price you pay, beggars can't be choosers. But now you can get a council house in a normal estate. So some working stiff paid 400k for their house and the neighbour gets it for free. It's just not right.

they not only expect a great house in Dublin, now it's a back garden, and a trampoline in the back garden. This one in the video is talking like a trampoline is as essential as food:
    https://youtu.be/RorN6_lUt_Q?t=18

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭doc22

seanod99 wrote: »
    No ones fault but theirs, now they are clogging up the homeless services for someone like a family or someone who actually deserves it. I have no sympathy for them. I believe in helping people in society/social welfare when they are in a dire sitaution, I don't believe in helping people who contribute nothing.
    I don't believe I'm being harsh, as another poster said, this is Ireland, if they were in a dire situation, medical, financial or otherwise they would be helped and we wouldn't be seeing this article.

In fairness what do you expect them to do ? I pity that there father/grandfather took what little security they had in life. I call their position pretty dire.

If they don't have a home they deserve to be housed. I don't what other criteria there is (if the 36yr old was knocked up would it make them more or less deserving:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm hearing their carry on in the local INTREO office was a disgrace, they arrived in roaring and screaming at the staff. Disgusting carry on.

shmeee wrote: »
    I'm hearing their carry on in the local INTREO office was a disgrace, they arrived in roaring and screaming at the staff. Disgusting carry on.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Some people are professional SW claimants.

doc22 wrote: »
    In fairness what do you expect them to do ? I pity that there father/grandfather took what little security they had in life. I call their position pretty dire.

If they don't have a home they deserve to be housed. I don't what other criteria there is (if the 36yr old was knocked up would it make them more or less deserving:pac:)

Not with my money they dont!

Sure why dont we all just stop paying and go on the housing list and welfare?

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Some people are professional SW claimants.

They've been refused emergency housing I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Entitled entitled entitled

The Violet Ann school of take take take

They've been refused emergency housing I believe.

Such a pity this isn't the case for most....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

John Johnson.

Ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Such a pity this isn't the case for most....

why?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    why?

Because they're spongers that's why.....

Why should the likes of them or cash or many many more be housed for absolutely free and it costs us tax payers shocking money.

Because they're spongers that's why.....

Why should the likes of them or cash or many many more be housed for absolutely free and it costs us tax payers shocking money.

so what should be done?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so what should be done?

Well jaysus maybe they could work and contribute to society, what do you think.

so whats the chances of all that happening?

myshirt wrote: »
    Fake news.

Were you there at the time?

You havent encountered wanderer before I take it?

You havent encountered wanderer before I take it?

I'm sure I've come across many ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 seanod99

doc22 wrote: »

I'd expect them to pay the mortgage, even if all four are on social welfare they would easily cover a mortgage of that size between them. As another poster said we would all stop work if we had any sense and get a free house shur the guviment is paying.

I despise the statement everyone is entitled to a free house, no you are not.I believe you should be entitled to help because of your situation, abused when you were a kid, lost a job and legitimately on social welfare, medical reasons, single parent etc loads of reasons... being a lazy **** and doing anything your whole life is not one of them.

Advertisement