Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PS4 with Fifa 21 and 2 controllers...good deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hi
    Looking to get a new PS4 with Fifa21 and 2 controllers for my 8yo for Christmas.

I see this bundle on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08J8CH238/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4BKKE8JVBLAG&psc=1
    for 329GBP incl delivery to Ireland.

The seller is "Shop Go Ltd" behind Amazon.

Is this a good deal ? Welcome any advice before I take the plunge.

I'd be looking at getting him a PS4 Pro rather than a PS4.
    For 100 (or so) more you could get him a Xbox Series S, which would be a more powerful console (than the PS4), and play new games for the next number of years. PS4 is going to get less and less games beyond 2021 imo.

Xbox would also have the benefit of game pass (if you sub to it) and EA Play which would get a bunch of games for a monthly fee. FIFA 20 would be on it, for example.

If you, or the kid, are set on a PS4 though - I'd certainy be seeing if i could get a deal on a PS4 Pro which would have a bit more life in it.

Obviously a PS5 would be a purchase with a much longer term view to it - but may be difficult to get for christmas and would cost near 300 more (right now) for the console, game and an extra controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Thanks for the advice - appreciate it. It's his first game console so I'm not planning on spending a fortune.

We are going the PS route for a few reasons. I'll have a read up on the PS Pro before I make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Argos have the same bundle (Stock permitting) for €338.79

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6799944/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CPS4%7C37328275/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328275%7CPS4+consoles%7C37328622.htm

Taking the historical price of a PS4, it's a decent price price for the bundle.
    The main issue is there is a new generation of consoles launching next month,
    so it's a current gen price for a console that is (almost) last gen.

As such, combining a new console with Black Friday next month, you may be able to get the bundle for a cheaper price end of November - but that's a gamble against stock levels (plus there may not be a price drop).

Also, there'll be a large amount of PS4s (both regular and PRO) on offer secondhand in the next few months. I's be wary of a secondhand console (not to besmirch the honour of those sellers form boards), plus may not be ideal for a Christmas present.

Apart from that, it's a good choice for a starting console - this late in the consoles life there is a large selection of software across all genres. Some are even good!

Also (also) - there are two subscriptions with a PS4 (both optional)

PS Plus is required for online play (and also there is a couple of games given away each month.

PS Now is a library of games for download or streaming (some older[Ps3] games can only be streamed) - there's a large selection of children games, including several Lego titles.

Both have 7 day trials so don't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zlodelasm

Niska wrote: »
    Argos have the same bundle (Stock permitting) for €338.79

Taking the historical price of a PS4, it's a decent price price for the bundle.
    The main issue is there is a new generation of consoles launching next month,
    so it's a current gen price for a console that is (almost) last gen.

As such, combining a new console with Black Friday next month, you may be able to get the bundle for a cheaper price end of November - but that's a gamble against stock levels (plus there may not be a price drop).

Also, there'll be a large amount of PS4s (both regular and PRO) on offer secondhand in the next few months. I's be wary of a secondhand console (not to besmirch the honour of those sellers form boards), plus may not be ideal for a Christmas present.

Apart from that, it's a good choice for a starting console - this late in the consoles life there is a large selection of software across all genres. Some are even good!

Also (also) - there are two subscriptions with a PS4 (both optional)

PS Plus is required for online play (and also there is a couple of games given away each month.

PS Now is a library of games for download or streaming (some older[Ps3] games can only be streamed) - there's a large selection of children games, including several Lego titles.

Both have 7 day trials so don't worry too much.

Very interesting, Good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.

Advertisement