Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

In reference to DC charging after recent updates I can see Tesla charging is optimized for HPCs but has a big impact if you use the old and slow 50kW units which unfortunately for Ireland are the norm. Bjorn has a video here about it.

What happens is Tesla is optimizing the battery, heating it up to about 47+ °C, which allows it to charge very fast. This is at a cost of about 12kW for about 15-20 mins depending on the starting temp (3-5 kWh). My solution is to navigate to nearest charger I can find on the Tesla map. I have done an experiment driving in two different days 40 km on M50 at the same charger (Helix) the same conditions the only diff was in one case I use to navigate to Lucan ESB and preconditioning started. In one without preconditioning I arrived with the battery at 22 degree and took 15 minutes to get over 47°C, the second time I got there with 45°C and it took only 3 mins to achieve the set temp. Interestingly the Tesla app will show the 43kW power as the easygo app but in the car as well as the scanmytesla will show only 30kW. Thinking of ESB units limited to 45 mins the 3-5 kWh it is an important figure especially if you need just a quick top up to extend your journey home. The best is to use a HPC and navigate to it but...

But that car is already taxed isn't? There is a logbook issued already. Probably Tesla will have you sign the last page and then posted to Shannon and get it in post in a week time?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The only chargers I navigate to in order to precondition are Superchargers..

I've used 150kW & 50kW chargers and wouldn't bother navigating to them in order to pre-condition the battery. A visit would mostly be at the end of a bit of a drive anyway so the battery would be warm enough.

On a 50kW unit, I doubt you'd even notice it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...and for those of us collecting over then next few days, don't forget to insure at the new higher value

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

..and probably for anyone also with an existing Model 3 when it comes renewal time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

And doesn't seem to add to the insurance price. When I was insuring mine just over 3 weeks ago I asked Aviva and they said it wouldn't add anything so I insured it at 55K (Excl grant) on their recommendation. My premium stayed the same as my previous ID.3.

My point is that exactly on to 50kW unit your going to notice it because the battery charges at 30kW instead of 45kW even though you draw 45kW from the charger you spend 5kWh in 15 mins to warm up the battery. You are not going to notice this difference on the HPC as youd be drawing much more and the relative difference would be small. In Bjorn's case they use a 25kW charger and half of the power goes into heating up. For them it would be cheaper to run an AC charger.

But how cold would they be heating the battery up from? As I'd most likely only ever hit a 50kW unit after a long enough drive, so it shouldn't need too much warming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That bjorn video is an absolute worst case. Minimum DC speed, frigid arctic cold temperatures, cold battery. It's the worst case and they would get faster with AC charging.

In the real world, 50kW charging won't need to preheat much if at all to get normal 42-47kW speeds.

If it's cold, it's cold. My charge point needed a part during the Winter (so out of action) and as i was awake at stupid o clock I decided to visit the local 50kW charger. It was near freezing and no preheating of the cabin or anything else as my SOC was in single digits (Model S). The car took over 10 minutes to get into double figures of charging speed.

Tesla will not allow a cold battery to take high charge rate. And there's a reason for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t tax it yet as the disc may go to the wrong address. Wait till you have the car or at least on the motor tax site it asks you to confirm name and address.

If that’s correct then proceed to taxing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks so much to everyone for the help clarifying it - boardsies to the rescue again - I knew there was something I was missing (problem between computer and chair!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

@Fingleberries Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

May have already been answered so apologies in advance if so. Should I ensure car for value with or without 5K SEAI grant & with new increased 3k additional price. Chill advised to ensure for price without the 5k grant but I am not sure if that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

I insured my base car at 55K (Excl grant) so would be 58K now.

I would include the Grant, the OMSP excludes the grant AFAIK

Revenue website down today for registration of new vehicles, may impact some of us, hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

Got my VRC in the post today so all good. Insurance not yet confirmed though. Pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

So my car is due for August delivery, if they offer me my car early (like a friend of mine that also had an august delivery) can I refuse it but keep the order for August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've heard some people use service mode to turn off battery heating when on 50kw chargers.

A bit extreme maybe.

It seems the issue is regardless of charger speed once plugged in it will try to heat the battery to 45c and use a good few kw to do so. That high a temp is unnecessary on a 50kw charger, it should be a bit smarter about how much it heats the battery on slower chargers.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes as someone else will take it after you refuse. And I'd say they would gladly take it as I would too if I had a August delivery and was offered it in March or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

I don't think it is as simple as that. You can certainly put a hold on delivery/acceptance if it doesn't suit and I believe they will accomodate, but it may not be as specific as ensuring you can specify an August delivery. It just means that once you come off the "hold period" you become eligible for matching again Hopefully things would work out but as we all know by now it's not a perfect science and many who have ordered have seen the estimated date at order slip. Tesla will allocate all cars and not hold..so I would conclude there is some risk with the hold request which only you can decide is it is worth taking

There’s a June delivery also between now and August

On a positive note, you may remove the link to your car from your posts now 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 45 barryduffy

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Who's picking up their M3 from Baldonnel today? Best of luck if you are! Let's see your photos and what your charge percentage was...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 myszonutd

My car is due for August as well, can I ask when did you put your order in and did you get delivered date in the Tesla app or VIN? I put my order in about 3 weeks ago and I only have the order number so far.

• Advertisement

I ordered white LR with 19” wheels on 20th Feb for August delivery.

Nothing in app about delivery date or vin.

Nothing on the source code for vin yet as I believe august cars have not started production yet.

Advertisement