Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Kramer wrote: »
    I did a couple of hundred kilometers today in an older Model 3 SR+ (July 2020 :D). Varied driving, a little motorway, mainly N roads.
    Yes it's cold & brutal weather, but the range was abysmal.

It yielded 46kWh approx with an estimated 231km range from 100% to 0% (20kWh/100km consumption).

The cold hammers all lithium chemistry batteries. If the LFP M3 SR+ is worse, it'll be a disaster in the Nordic countries.

Bottom line for Elon though is cost savings.

231km would that be normal for other model 3 owners? Nearly 200km less than the quoted range....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Dozz wrote: »
    231km would that be normal for other model 3 owners? Nearly 200km less than the quoted range....

Today was not a good example. Cold weather , wet roads and high winds.

What apps (android) would people recommend for locating charge points other than Tesla ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Seth!

What apps (android) would people recommend for locating charge points other than Tesla ones?

Ecars, Plugshare but if you want a navigation included ABRP (a better route planner)

Seth! wrote: »
    Ecars, Plugshare but if you want a navigation included ABRP (a better route planner)

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jhegarty wrote: »
    Today was not a good example. Cold weather , wet roads and high winds.

Nothing beats a real world example, weather can get a lot worse than this example

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Real world" is too often used to mean "worst case".

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

The M3 performance is rated to 530’ish kms quoted, realistically range is about 300kms. Hyaundai Kona in the house will actually get 500kms to a charge the

The M3 performance is rated to 530’ish kms quoted, realistically range is about 300kms. Hyaundai Kona in the house will actually get 500kms to a charge the

I'm not sure how you were intending to finish that sentence, but it's not looking good.

There is no way that a 74kWh Model 3 has 56% the range of a 64kWh Kona.

Do you own both?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was regularly doing a 50km commute twice a day when we first came out of lockdown, bringing our son down to his grandmother for the day.

Rush down to Beaumont, so a mixture of rural, motorway & urban. 50km round trip

This was in summer (usually around 12-17 degrees)

My average consumption driving normally (at speed limits on each road) was typically 130Wh/km (13kWh/100km). This would give my SR+ a range of 384km

Some days I would go slower to see how efficient I could do it, and it was easily doable at between 100-115Wh/km.

The best I got for the trip was 97Wh/km (9.7kWh/100km)(motorway traffic kept speed below 100 km/h, and behind tractors on the rural sections). 97Wh/km would give my SR+ a theoretical range of 515km (of course a lot of variables in there like having a warm battery as well as weather etc.... but if you want, you can stretch out beyond WLTP (in the right conditions of course)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you were intending to finish that sentence, but it's not looking good.

There is no way that a 74kWh Model 3 has 56% the range of a 64kWh Kona.

Do you own both?

Yes own both 201 revised Kona and new M3P, Kona will do 500kms unless we got some sort of special one :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

500kms!, What driving pattern as I've never heard of that range on a Kona before (not doubting, just want some insight as a two EV householder also)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Yes own both 201 revised Kona and new M3P, Kona will do 500kms unless we got some sort of special one :P

I have SR+ and Kona too.
    Kona battery performance in cold is a lot better than SR+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tried to drive as eco as possible on a 20km run , all but 2km on a 100 kph N road.

I got 120 Wh/km. So the full 430km looks possible even with the current cold weather.

Joining a motorway would be a different story of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

jhegarty wrote: »
    Tried to drive as eco as possible on a 20km run , all but 2km on a 100 kph N road.

I got 120 Wh/km. So the full 430km looks possible even with the current cold weather.

Anything is possible. I bet I could match that range on a motorway even (tucked in behind a truck or bus at 90km/h :pac:).

Another 200km driven since @ 20kWh/100km average, estimated total range 236km. That's poor & not too far ahead of our old Ioniq 28 :eek:.

Sure, you can get 400km+ taking it handy on N roads/urban driving in summer, but that doesn't mean much now does it..............:P.

"Real world" is too often used to mean "worst case".

Seems to me "real world" often means California in June.

Seems to me "real world" often means California in June.
    WLTP uses standardized conditions. Nothing to do with California. Hence "W". No car is rated in terms of cold, wet winters.

WLTP uses standardized conditions. Nothing to do with California. Hence "W". No car is rated in terms of cold, wet winters.

In fairness to Renault, they quote summer & winter range for the Zoe, the winter range being 1/3rd less.

https://www.renault.ie/electric/zoe/battery.html

The problem with WLTP is they are ubiquitously best case scenario figures & all but unobtainable, save for very very eco driving in warm, summer conditions.

They missed a trick really, all they had to say was "up to...........xx kms, WLTP range, that would have covered them :D.

But seriously, I find the Model 3 disappointing & it's proving to be a 200km range car, for our use, in this weather. That's fine. Just sharing real world experience from an owner. Everyone's use & expectations are different & 90% of Irish drivers barely exceed 200kms in a week, so not a problem.

If an owner wants to hypermile in their €50k+ Tesla with no heat etc., more power to them (especially in their battery :D).

Standard condition in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I'll report back tomorrow what real world range in a M3P is like in current weather but I can confirm that last November I did a 380km trip in a model 3 long range, car was at approx 90% charged when I started heater at 18.5 and didn't preheat the car, as I just got it and didn't know much about pre heating at the time, it was was mostly at 100-110km/hr on main road/motor way and weather was very cold wet and windy, got home with 30km to spare, so i was happy enough with that

• Advertisement

jordan191 wrote: »
    I'll report back tomorrow what real world range in a M3P is like in current weather but I can confirm that last November I did a 380km trip in a model 3 long range, car was at approx 90% charged when I started heater at 18.5 and didn't preheat the car, as I just got it and didn't know much about pre heating at the time, it was was mostly at 100-110km/hr on main road/motor way and weather was very cold wet and windy, got home with 30km to spare, so i was happy enough with that

That would be great, thanks. Is your model the long range?
    230km doesn't sound great to me. I need to be able to get from Newbridge to Nenagh (approx 230km) without charging at a minimum. €47k for a car that won't do that. I'll be having second thoughts.

That would be great, thanks. Is your model the long range?
    230km doesn't sound great to me. I need to be able to get from Newbridge to Nenagh (approx 230km) without charging at a minimum. €47k for a car that won't do that. I'll be having second thoughts.

I have a model 3 performance, but it has 18" wheels so it's a bit more efficient, summer time I can get 430-450kms out of it. as a rough guide always take 100kms off manufacturers claims, so the SR is 400kms WLTP, aim for 300 kms real world range. Other cars are similar on the VW ID group guys are getting 260-280 kms from them at the moment

I have a model 3 performance, but it has 18" wheels so it's a bit more efficient, summer time I can get 430-450kms out of it. as a rough guide always take 100kms off manufacturers claims, so the SR is 400kms WLTP, aim for 300 kms real world range. Other cars are similar on the VW ID group guys are getting 260-280 kms from them at the moment

Thanks again. Looking forward to your report.

230km doesn't sound great to me. I need to be able to get from Newbridge to Nenagh (approx 230km) without charging at a minimum.

You can do that trip all year around in the SR+. It may mean driving slightly slower on bad, cold days in winter, or on the motorway etc., but you always have the ability to stretch your range.
    Conversely, if you had a 200km journey, you could plough on at 120km/h with the heat blasting etc. without worry.

Mrs. K needed the Ioniq (28kWh) to do close to 200km regular journeys, all through last winter & always managed.

An EV's range is heavily influenced by weather, driving style & road type (motorways - high speed). The Model 3 is no different & IMO is affected more by low temperature, than other EVs.
    It's gas they way people immediately jump to the defense of Teslas when someone posts their actual, real life experience with the car :pac:.

You can do that trip all year around in the SR+. It may mean driving slightly slower on bad, cold days in winter, or on the motorway etc., but you always have the ability to stretch your range.
    Conversely, if you had a 200km journey, you could plough on at 120km/h with the heat blasting etc. without worry.

Mrs. K needed the Ioniq (28kWh) to do close to 200km regular journeys, all through last winter & always managed.

An EV's range is heavily influenced by weather, driving style & road type (motorways - high speed). The Model 3 is no different & IMO is affected more by low temperature, than other EVs.
    It's gas they way people immediately jump to the defense of Teslas when someone posts their actual, real life experience with the car :pac:.

Thanks Kramer. I'm just thinking how I would fare out on a day like today. 0 degrees and a misty day. It's practically motorway from Newbridge to Nenagh and I would normally drive at 120-130kmph in my current car.
    With a wife and 2 small kids in the back, charging isnt an option unless I want a divorce....

I'm just thinking how I would fare out on a day like today. 0 degrees and a misty day. It's practically motorway from Newbridge to Nenagh and I would normally drive at 120-130kmph in my current car.

You wouldn't be able to do that speed in an SR+ in the current conditions, without severe range anxiety all the way down. An LR/Performance, sure, or by driving a little slower until the weather improves, yes.

Some people would question the logic of having to make that compromise, while spending upwards of €50k on a new car.

Depending on how often you do that journey though, it could well be worth taking it a little easier on occasion, when necessary. The fuel costs savings can be significant & you'd have no range issues for probably 90% of the year or the majority of your driving.

You wouldn't be able to do that speed in an SR+ in the current conditions, without severe range anxiety all the way down. An LR/Performance, sure, or by driving a little slower until the weather improves, yes.

Some people would question the logic of having to make that compromise, while spending upwards of €50k on a new car.

Depending on how often you do that journey though, it could well be worth taking it a little easier on occasion, when necessary. The fuel costs savings can be significant & you'd have no range issues for probably 90% of the year or the majority of your driving.

Thanks again Kramer. That's great information to have. I've a lot more thinking to do now it seems. id4 is looking a more attractive option now.

Thanks again Kramer. That's great information to have. I've a lot more thinking to do now it seems. id4 is looking a more attractive option now.

So after driving today, I did 140km over 3 trips, preheated the car this morning but the outside temp was between - 2 and plus 2 degree's and roads were dodgy with ice and fog, so I was driving between 60km and 110kn/hr. I used 40% battery giving me a total range of 350km in today's weather conditions , you'd get further if it was a single trip as I noticed once the car and battery was warmed up energy consumption dropped

• Advertisement

So after driving today, I did 140km over 3 trips, preheated the car this morning but the outside temp was between - 2 and plus 2 degree's and roads were dodgy with ice and fog, so I was driving between 60km and 110kn/hr. I used 40% battery giving me a total range of 350km in today's weather conditions , you'd get further if it was a single trip as I noticed once the car and battery was warmed up energy consumption dropped

Thanks for that jordan. Good to get some real world figures. Am still concerned about motorway driving and range. Gonna have to have a good think about it over Christmas. Appreciate the help

Advertisement