Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Seth!

jhegarty wrote: »
    All working for me. The side ones were slow to load but this has been fixed since the update to 2020.48.10.

I updated mine but no luck, will try to soft reset again with the new software and maybe turn it off and on again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Just wanted to post to say Nollaig Shona to all on the thread here

I purchased the Model 3 early in the year and the information on the thread was invaluable navigating the excellent and not so excellent experiences of buying and driving a Tesla. Many here contribute to the electric vehicle threads more broadly, and would like to thank all for their contributions which made the switch to electric easier to navigate.

One of the best pieces of advice I picked up on the thread is not think about range, just in percentages, and any given day all that matters is you get home, range discussion is in many ways a distraction.

When I started to seriously consider buying an electric car (BIK exemption with my own company was a big incentive), going back over the old posts on the thread and previous thread was very helpful.

Few small defects on pickup, but all sorted without any hassle by team in Sandyford.

To the person who recently posted debating LR versus SR+. I initially assumed the LR would be the only option with the amount of miles we do, but after talking to a friend in the States with an SR+, I realised SR+ would be adequate. Went ahead with that and haven’t thought about it since. On those few days where a return day trip across the country is warranted, they are the only days it matters. I do enjoy a little working out the charging and routing, and very importantly have home charging, so the best option might fall elsewhere for others. In terms of battery degradation, depreciation etc. we will have to see. But with SR+ there is a €10,000 headstart, and with the BIK limit, every euro over 50k I was thinking about differently.

Only other thing I would say on the SR+ and RWD is that I have found tyre rotation important, the rear tyres have worn out significantly faster.

Overall, it is a great car, just feels like stepping into the future, it drives really well and it looks well - and actually I think very good value for money relative to BMWs or Mercedes etc. The low operating costs are striking, and I have been very impressed with the general energy efficiency of it. That is all before you even think about the air and climate pollution benefits.

Ultimately the best thing personally about it is how much my wife likes it. She was not too into cars etc., but now hates driving our now little used manual fossil fuel second car.

Finally, constantly find it funny how children react to the car, and then how much they know about it if they get a chance to talk to you when you are parking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

aigne wrote: »
    Just wanted to post to say Nollaig Shona to all on the thread here

I purchased the Model 3 early in the year and the information on the thread was invaluable navigating the excellent and not so excellent experiences of buying and driving a Tesla. Many here contribute to the electric vehicle threads more broadly, and would like to thank all for their contributions which made the switch to electric easier to navigate.

One of the best pieces of advice I picked up on the thread is not think about range, just in percentages, and any given day all that matters is you get home, range discussion is in many ways a distraction.

When I started to seriously consider buying an electric car (BIK exemption with my own company was a big incentive), going back over the old posts on the thread and previous thread was very helpful.

Few small defects on pickup, but all sorted without any hassle by team in Sandyford.

To the person who recently posted debating LR versus SR+. I initially assumed the LR would be the only option with the amount of miles we do, but after talking to a friend in the States with an SR+, I realised SR+ would be adequate. Went ahead with that and haven’t thought about it since. On those few days where a return day trip across the country is warranted, they are the only days it matters. I do enjoy a little working out the charging and routing, and very importantly have home charging, so the best option might fall elsewhere for others. In terms of battery degradation, depreciation etc. we will have to see. But with SR+ there is a €10,000 headstart, and with the BIK limit, every euro over 50k I was thinking about differently.

Only other thing I would say on the SR+ and RWD is that I have found tyre rotation important, the rear tyres have worn out significantly faster.

Overall, it is a great car, just feels like stepping into the future, it drives really well and it looks well - and actually I think very good value for money relative to BMWs or Mercedes etc. The low operating costs are striking, and I have been very impressed with the general energy efficiency of it. That is all before you even think about the air and climate pollution benefits.

Ultimately the best thing personally about it is how much my wife likes it. She was not too into cars etc., but now hates driving our now little used manual fossil fuel second car.

Finally, constantly find it funny how children react to the car, and then how much they know about it if they get a chance to talk to you when you are parking etc

I’d be really interested in hearing how with buying through a company works out and the options? What type of company and some figures around it would be great. On a M3+ can you write off the 24k in year one or does a 50k limit on the cost of the vehicle apply? I assume you can write off depreciation over 8 years and all associated expenses every year. I’d be in for 30% BIK from 2022 as would not be doing much mileage but this may be extended. Any advice or restrictions with a private limited company?

I’d be really interested in hearing how with buying through a company works out and the options? What type of company and some figures around it would be great. On a M3+ can you write off the 24k in year one or does a 50k limit on the cost of the vehicle apply? I assume you can write off depreciation over 8 years and all associated expenses every year. I’d be in for 30% BIK from 2022 as would not be doing much mileage but this may be extended. Any advice or restrictions with a private limited company?

If doing mileage for business you can avail of the civil service rates, not bad really, you'd get the minimum based on emissions and you benefit more because you're not paying for Liquid fuels.

So with company care you get benefit of no BIK or reduced BIK is it ? + mileage + of course you can write off service probably tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

If doing mileage for business you can avail of the civil service rates, not bad really, you'd get the minimum based on emissions and you benefit more because you're not paying for Liquid fuels.

So with company care you get benefit of no BIK or reduced BIK is it ? + mileage + of course you can write off service probably tyres too.

Thank you - yea mileage from business would be low.

Has anyone used accelerated capital allowance to write down 24k in year one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

You can claim back 20% of the VAT paid if the car is used for at least 60% business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Marlow wrote: »
    Erhh ... depreciation on Tesla's is f*** all. You know that, right ? I mean, they depreciate like 10% and then stay like that for 3-4 years.

It's not like other cars. The demand still can't be fulfilled.

/M

This is an area ive been closely watching. Very unusual in motor trade.

Im wondering whether it'll be the model y that starts the used model 3 price shift. Or just some sort of new battery tech, even if a few years from arriving in production models.

Either way i think there will be a very critical time in the used model 3 prices and could be an intertesting time. Id say ev cars will have a far higher depreciation rate sitting on a forecourt than traditional fossil cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

pippip wrote: »
    This is an area ive been closely watching. Very unusual in motor trade.

The price shift will happen, when Tesla reaches a threshold, that means they actually have to pay for advertising to sell their cars. Up until today they are not advertising. They even axe'd their PR department, because it wasn't really needed (yet).

As long as there is more demand than what they can produce, there will be very little available on the second hand market. And whatever comes to market will be gone quickly.

None of the new model launches will make a difference in reality. It's caused by supply and demand. And then obviously the real depreciation kicks in, when the warranty expires and repairs can become pricey. But even there, the cars are holding good value, as long as the demand still can't be satisfied.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

What are Tesla like when you already own a Model 3 and go to change to a new one - do they give good trade in values? (I guess they're so new it might be an unknown as of yet?). This would be a huge factor for me if getting one, would need to know that in 3/4 years time a trade in is painless, would hate to have to go and try and sell it myself before buying a new one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Orebro wrote: »
    What are Tesla like when you already own a Model 3 and go to change to a new one - do they give good trade in values? (I guess they're so new it might be an unknown as of yet?). This would be a huge factor for me if getting one, would need to know that in 3/4 years time a trade in is painless, would hate to have to go and try and sell it myself before buying a new one.

I put in a trade in quote request for sh1ts & giggles a few weeks ago and they offered me €37,000 for my March 2020 Model 3 SR+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Marlow wrote: »
    The price shift will happen, when Tesla reaches a threshold, that means they actually have to pay for advertising to sell their cars. Up until today they are not advertising. They even axe'd their PR department, because it wasn't really needed (yet).

As long as there is more demand than what they can produce, there will be very little available on the second hand market. And whatever comes to market will be gone quickly.

None of the new model launches will make a difference in reality. It's caused by supply and demand. And then obviously the real depreciation kicks in, when the warranty expires and repairs can become pricey. But even there, the cars are holding good value, as long as the demand still can't be satisfied.

/M
    Tesla not having a PR department means, amongst other things, that they don't need to explain why they shut down Model S and X production for 18 days, only paying production workers for one week of that layoff.

Teslas are no more immune to depreciation than any other car. Eventually they are worthless. The Model 3 has had a good run so far, that's all we can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Have many of you bought the Tesla branded home charger, or is it over priced?

Aph2016 wrote: »

I have it, and it’s fine. A decent price compared to other similar ones.... the little button on it that opens your charge flap is a great bonus with it.

They also look fairly sleek in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I put in a trade in quote request for sh1ts & giggles a few weeks ago and they offered me €37,000 for my March 2020 Model 3 SR+

Not great, you would have paid 49k?

jusmeig wrote: »
    Not great, you would have paid 49k?

Yeah, €47,840 I think we paid.... but you’d expect to lose at least 5-7k after day 1 of ownership anyway......

The question would be what would they offer in another 6-13 months..... I’d say whatever it is, I’d most likely do better in a private sale.

We’ve no intention of selling or trading it, but who knows what will happen when the Y arrives on these shores..... especially given it’ll be German built.

Anyone tried to touch up any scratches on their Model 3?
    Got a bit of a scratch on the rear door...and I know its going to annoy the hell out of me until I do "something" about it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was going to get one but went with PV so went for a Zappi 2.
    Tesla home chargers are not over priced, very good value.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

For anyone eagerly awaiting the Holiday Update, don’t get too excited as it’s a bit of a let down......

The map screen is a lot smaller than before, with the visualisation side a lot bigger....

The speed indicator is slightly smaller though slightly closer to the steering wheel.

Also the menu dock at the bottom of the screen has a lot more icons on it now so it’s a lot busier than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

slave1 wrote: »
    I was going to get one but went with PV so went for a Zappi 2.
    Tesla home chargers are not over priced, very good value.

Have seen some terrible reviews of the Tesla home charger on YouTube, guess I will be avoiding it, pity as it looks cool.

Have seen some terrible reviews of the Tesla home charger on YouTube, guess I will be avoiding it, pity as it looks cool.

I have one since getting the car back in March and can’t say a bad word about it.

It charges the car every night it’s plugged in. What else do you want/need it to do?

Remember, a home ‘charger’ is simply a fancy plug to connect your homes power supply to the cars onboard charger...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

For anyone eagerly awaiting the Holiday Update, don’t get too excited as it’s a bit of a let down......

The map screen is a lot smaller than before, with the visualisation side a lot bigger....

The speed indicator is slightly smaller though slightly closer to the steering wheel.

Also the menu dock at the bottom of the screen has a lot more icons on it now so it’s a lot busier than before.

Hi Andy
    Did you get the Boom box upgrade?

Yeah, €47,840 I think we paid.... but you’d expect to lose at least 5-7k after day 1 of ownership anyway......

The question would be what would they offer in another 6-13 months..... I’d say whatever it is, I’d most likely do better in a private sale.

We’ve no intention of selling or trading it, but who knows what will happen when the Y arrives on these shores..... especially given it’ll be German built.

Yeah I'd be looking to shift it after 2/3 years. Not sure I'd get a Y, if you did a click and drag on a Model 3 you end up with the Y...a distressed looking 3 imo. I'd like to see one in the metal

Dozz wrote: »
    Hi Andy
    Did you get the Boom box upgrade?

No, as no external speaker to play the sounds on.

No, as no external speaker to play the sounds on.

Does anyone know if there is an external speaker on the newer models? I thought it was an EU requirement for the car to emit a sound at lower speeds as a pedestrian warning?
    Am seeing online that newer models in the UK don't have them.

Does anyone know if there is an external speaker on the newer models? I thought it was an EU requirement for the car to emit a sound at lower speeds as a pedestrian warning?

The Model 3 was first designed/built before that rule came into play in Europe, so doesn’t need the speaker to emit low speed sounds.

Open the windows and crank it to 11?

Just got a trade in email...they are listening :D

jusmeig wrote: »
    Open the windows and crank it to 11?

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone have a problem with reverse cameras loading slow or not loading at all (black screen) since the upgrade

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »
    anyone have a problem with reverse cameras loading slow or not loading at all (black screen) since the upgrade

Nope, upgraded today and was driving a fair bit today without issue.

Advertisement