Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What size battery does the Model 3 Standard Range come with, i've read 50 Kwh but it seems small...

I'm trying to work out cost for charging at home given all the noise around rate increases

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I assume you mean a new car, it's now called the Model RWD and the battery size is 60kWh with around 57.5kWh usable. Previous SR models did come with much smaller battery alright and 50kWh does ring a bell

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There have been at least 4 different variants at this point. The original SR+ came with a sub 50kWh battery, I think mid 40s usable. The first LFP battery was 50kWh. Then there was a 55kWh LFP, and the current ones come with 60kWh lfp. It's hard to keep up if you don't follow someone like Bjorn on youtube as Tesla never announce these changes. I think it's now 60kWh LFP for the SR, 82kWh Panasonic non LFP for the LR and P? I havent been tracking the LR and P models because I thought I'd never own a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I did some research on it and I guess I wont know for sure until after i pick up the car.

However it seems that any car using Tesla Vision Autopilot has a serious issue in that as soon as you engage autopilot it automatically turns on the "auto high beam" function. This in itself is not a problem but the fact that you cannot manually disengage auto high beam without disengaging autopilot is a massive issue. The reason being is that the auto high beam function is absolute trash at night and is dangerous for you an oncoming drivers - just take a look at this video to see why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi0kmshoVDk

I really really hope this is not the case and there is a way to avoid this. Otherwise in a car costing anywhere from 53k to over 100k any sort of cruise control/autopilot will be rendered unusable in the dark, unless you want to put your own safety and the safety of other drivers at risk by using the auto high beam function.

I do a lot of motorway driving and bought the car with adaptive cruise control/lane assist as an absolute requirement.

Anyway lets wait and see.

Currently in my X you can enable adaptive cruise only - and not enable AP. If thats the case (auto high beams required) it seems like I'll never use the AP in the 3 at night

• Advertisement

Being doing more reading on it and basically forget about using autosteer at night in a model 3 unless you want to be driving dangerously/illegally by blinding oncoming traffic or those in front of you.

I really cannot believe how badly this has been developed/designed by Tesla (i'm not the only one!) - so bad in fact that their autosteer (and maybe any sort of adaptive cruise) cannot be used at night.

Once i experience it myself i will be making a serious complaint to Tesla having being sold an absolute pup.

I would be interested to see what others experience on here and if there is any way at all to find a solution, apart from waiting for a software upgrade. However, this seems maybe not possible as Tesla Vision seems to rely on high beams to be able to see adequately at night. Seems like a total cluster-you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

49kWh usable according to this for 2018-20 models with total NCA battery at 53kWh: https://insideevs.com/news/503311/2021-tesla-model3-srp-charging/

Amazing what they got from that battery pack, but a little on the low side these days, especially given the big jump from that to present spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Not sure if it was Bjørn's video you linked mc2022.* about the forced auto high beam, but if it was that one it was linked here earlier, and in my opinion it's guaranteed that a recall will be issued on this. The competition or some other irate customers would not let this pass.

I suspect something will be done. Here's hoping "something" will be the full matrix headlamp functionality on 2021+ cars as they would be a good solution as far as the vision visibility is concerned.

yeah it was Bjorns video - it's out and out crazy stuff. "At Tesla our number one focus is on safety" - blah blah getting rid of radar is purely cost saving. I'm just surprised that the uproar hasn't been bigger - i guess coming into winter months (less daylight) coupled with those that have radar and upgrade their software and realise that it's gone, the kickback will be so big it just simply cannot be ignored. Worrying thing is that Tesla have been aware of this for almost a year now and have not provided a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Don’t forget to throw in Phantom braking!!

• Advertisement

imagine with all the supposed tech etc. and we cant even use cruise control on our new M3 at night - and people have the cheek to slag other manufacturers off. Who would have thought that a 12 year old VW's adaptive cruise control would be better than Tesla's 2022 version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

First time I'll decline an update.

It'll soon be dark for the next six months in Norway where Teslas are ubitiquous. Six months of no AP, or tens of thousands of dazzled drivers & subsequent road rage incidents, or worse.

Those are the only two choices with Tesla Vision.

Imagine all the people that install that update and don't realise the massive impact it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Too late..Should have kept up to date with this topic. Downloaded earlier, suppose I don't use autopilot much at night, but I am hopefull it will be corrected soon.

But I do like the repositioning of the side camera/blindspot views to a higher position on screen.

You can still use adaptive cruise, just not AP.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

at least if you have the matrix headlights… a solution could be coming soon, but for those of us pre matrix, we’ll be fecked!!

Will not be updating… (which will be a pain in the arse as this version I’m on (2022.20.8) has that silly alarm on opening glitch!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You've got to disable autosteer for that & it can't be re-enabled again until you stop.

It then will use only the cameras & ultrasonic sensors.

I did 1,000km+ drives earlier this year (€urope) & AP really, really helps. I'm a big fan.

But a 2 hour drive down a quiet M7 at night, with no AP, ain't what I signed up for, given I've had it for the last 2/3 years.

Simple fix - remove the enforced auto high beam. I guess it's possible they can't though. Time will tell.

not much of a consolation - the car i paid for has "autopilot" with at its very core autosteer. Not being able to use that at night without breaking the law (blinding others) is totally unacceptable. I paid for a car with autosteer and that is what i want given the amount of motorway miles i do in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Does this mean that the auto-lights are not mandatory with adaptive cruise control?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Sorry - I see the answer to my own question now above....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

Not all cars that get the update switch over to Tesla Vision it seems. https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/version/2022.24.6/release-notes

I updated mine earlier today and there was no mention of it so it appears that I can move my blindspot camera and use my radar.

Edit: I just realised that it was retroactively added to my 2022.20 patch notes. I'll report back on how good/bad/same it is.

Post edited by Bovakinn on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

All the cars being delivered this month have matrix light, yes?

Stay Free

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The cost for charging at home depends on how much you drive not the size of the battery.

You should average somewhere around 15-18kwh/100km so if you drive 100km between charges it'll cost you 15 x electricity unit rate to replenish what you used up.

E.g. 15 x 0.20= €3 or an equivalent of 1.5L/100km

All depends on your ESB rate and your driving style and speed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My long term average over 4k in M3P is 19.4 kWh / 100km if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Had my first round work commute today. Very impressed with the car using autopilot. So except for turning onto a new road, for the most part, the car did the work. Had a few heart stop moments while I got used to it on winding roads at 80kph, but i'm getting a good feel for its limits. I noticed a small scratch on the trim across from the mirror after doing a second, more thorough inspection yesterday. My first thought was to get out a sharpie, but as this is a brand new car, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how the Tesla service works. Have her booked in tomorrow for inspection.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Don't know if I'd recommend autopilot on windy 80km roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Does anybody know why the lights aren’t adaptive when it’s clear the have the ability to be? That seems like it would solve the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

My long term average in the ID.3 over 4k is 14.2 kWh/100km.

I’m switching to a RWD so it’ll be interesting to see how its efficiency compares.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

In my limited experience of the Tesla I find the Model 3 RWD about 10% more efficient than my previous ID.3. Would be more on the motorway. Heat pump also helps in the colder months.

Advertisement