Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They allegedly give a 3%-5% gain in efficiency in any tests I’ve seen on YouTube… so why not make an already extremely efficient car even more efficient..

The RWD today is advertised with 491km WLTP range, and the estimated range increase (not WLTP tested though) with the aero hubcaps on is 511km…

I like the original ones, and it’s nice to always have the option to take them off and freshen the look of the car up a little..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

So had my first charge since. Lowered charging amp to 30A and it didn’t glitch out once from 40 to 100% charging. Not sure what that means tbh. Do I just leave at 30A or is it masking some other issue? Cheers

If 30 amps is working for you, I'd just leave it there.. it seems the full 32 amps is causing an issue in your house so if you want/need the full 32 amps you'd probably need a sparks out to look at your house wiring...

32 amps is 7.36kW, but 30 amps is 6.9kW, so not really a huge loss losing 2 amps... especially if charging overnight...

maybe go a few charging sessions at 30amps, then increase to 31 and see what happens... and again to 32 and see what happens, but it sounds like trying to pull the full 32 amps is just too much for the house! is it an old house?

Thanks Andy, house is new enough and this has only started after about 12 mths of use with no issues! Nothing else has changed in house. Yea app was showing charging rate flicking between 6/7KW so that’s fine.

I'd say get a sparks out to have a look, or the charger installer...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you post a photo of the RCBO in your consumer unit please.

Is it a Garo RCBO?

Sorry no clue. At work. I think they plugged it directly into external meter box though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This unit is under warranty and not behaving properly, I'd be back to installer to come back and diagnose exact issue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd also lean towards it being a faulty or under spec RCBO in your consumer unit (not the car or charge points fault if its that). Get your spark to come out and test it and possibly swap that out. Its a relatively cheap item and it should last longer than 10 months so I'd push for warranty on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

speedfreak previously mentioned that his circuit breakers are not tripping out, so unlikely to be the RCBO or MCB.

• Advertisement

Thanks all will get onto the installers. Don’t think it’s a car issue

Not tripping at 32a but causing issues. While at 30a it’s perfect. Could simply be a load balancing set up issue or the RCBO.

There was a faulty Garo batch and a replacement to a Hager fixed all the issues of similar nature I read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Can confirm the faulty Garos, had one myself replaced by a Hager, talking to the installer he reckoned he’d replaced 60-70 Garos over the last 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I read about that also - but didnt the fault result in the units tripping out and unable to be reset?

Just curious to find out more and if I could have been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I had one of the faulty Garo RCBOs.

It would trip during the night and randomly. It happened about 3 or 4 times in about 6 weeks.

Then the installer's came out and switched it for a hager. It has been totally fine since. No random trips or anything, even with a ct clamp and electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TSLQs

Anyone know the difference between the two charge cables that come with a model 3? One in the little square black canvas bag and the other in a plastic bag?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

One should be the granny charger, ie have a 3 pin domestic plug connection. Other should be a type 2 cable, ie for charging at slow ac chargers without their own cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

One is the type 2 cable for public,non tethered charging, the other is the granny charger for the 3-pin outlet at home.

So the type 2 one isn't much use is it? Are there chargers out there with no cables?

You’ll use the type 2 cable at home, SCP’s and every other destination charger in the country. So yeah, they kinda do have their use.

• Advertisement

Sorry new to this.

Why would I use it at home?

So chargers don't have their own cables? Like ESB Ionity etc?

Home chargers come in 2 variants. Tethered and untethered. You use the type 2 cable for untethered chargers.

eCars and ionity are fast DC chargers, 50kw plus so they have their own cables. But eCars also have 22kw chargers that you use your own cable on. Same for easygo in Lidl, car parks, hotels etc

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭grimman

the one with the little square is a "granny charger" where you can charge with a normal 3-pin 220V socket. The other in the plastic bag is the cable that you would attach at a dedicated charge point: like so https://images.storychief.com/account_35435/iStock-1442120736_f3320fc6dc7f8973fe044580836ec59a_1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

DC (Direct Current)(Fast) Chargers will always have their own cable and plug attached to the charger (Tesla SuperChargers, Ionity, AppleGreen, eCars DC), and the plug (CCS2) will look like this one below. DC charging means the power goes straight into your battery, and goes in fast (up to 170kW on RWD Model 3/Y, and up to 250kW on LR/P versions)

AC (Alternating Current)(Slow) chargers are what you will do on your driveway, or using eCars 22kW AC chargers, EasyGo or Tesla DESTINATION Chargers etc.. The majority of AC chargers will be untethered, so you will use your own Type 2 Cable that came with the car, but some AC chargers will be tethered and therefore you don't need to use your own cable (Tesla Wall Connecter is tethered, Zappi comes in both tethered and untethered options).

Here is a Type 2 cable. The thicker end goes into the car, and the thinner end into the charger... you could go months/years without ever using it, or you could end up using it everyday, depending on what type of home charger you have installed, and if it's tethered or not (i.e. comes with its own cable attached to it, meaning you don't have the hassle of taking your own mobile cable out of the boot every few nights).

Then you have the UMC (Granny Charger), which is an AC charger, but specifically designed for being plugged into domestic sockets like a standard Irish 3 pin plug (though with the UMC, you can swap the 3 pin for a Schuko plug (for use in Europe), or a blue 16 amp or 32amp industrial socket you might find in an industrial setting or at a caravan park. Note: You will only receive the U.K./Irish 3 pin adaptor with your UMC, and if you want/need additional adaptors you need to buy from Tesla separately. For instance I also bought a Schuko adaptor for mine for use in Europe, however after over 3 years, I've never actually used my UMC. On a 3 pin domestic plug the max rate of charge is 13 amps so 13 x 230v = 2.99kW*, but by using a blue 16/32amp adaptor and if the supply is there the UMC can charge at the full 32a on single phase meaning you could get the full 7.2kW from one. (for some people the UMC suffices in place of a dedicated home charger if they have a 16a or 32a outdoor socket they can plug the UMC into)

*drawing 3kW from a 3 pin socket in your home for boiling a kettle for a few minutes is fine, but continuously drawing 3kW for a number of hours to charge a car could put strain on the domestic socket not to mention heating it up excessively, so if/when ever using the UMC, just keep an eye on the socket it's plugged into for heat build up, and if necessary you can dial the charging rate of the car down as low as 5a to reduce stress on the domestic socket/house load...

A point worth mentioning on AC charging though is the car has the onboard AC charger, which converts the AC energy you put into it to DC current which goes into the battery, so essentially any AC charger like an eCars 22kW or your home charger is only really a fancy socket, as the AC charger itself lives in the car.

Also, there are limits on AC charging. When on single phase (your home supply) the max rate of AC charging is 32 amps on the single phase which gives you about 7.2kW charging speed (230v x 32amps = 7.36kW), but when on 3 phase (22kW chargers) the max rate per phase is only 16 amps, so 230v x 3ph x 16amp = 11.04kW. So when you plug a Model 3 or Y into a 22kW AC charger, the most you'll ever see is 11kW charging speed (and this is a very common question in the fb groups: why am I only getting 11kW from a 22kW charger?.....).

Either way I'd highly recommend carrying both the Type 2 cable & UMC in the car at all times... even if your day to day driving would mean you'd never use them.. the Type 2 AC cable is your lifeline if ever stuck somewhere and low on charge and there aren't any DC chargers around you, and the UMC is the ultimate last resort.. I've never used mine, but it's been in the boot for all 79,000km's the car has ever driven...

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Superbly explained Andy,

Just a small tip for anyone using the voice recognition for Navigation etc.

It often doesn't recognise a common english pronunciation of a place name, for example if I input a common destination for me "Kilmore Quay". Tries to get me to one of the Florida Keys.😊

If I say it literally, ie " Navigate to Kilmore Kway" then it has no problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

🙂

Does it still do that if you use the new 'British English' voice commands?

• Advertisement

Advertisement