Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Can someone throw an eye over these figures, we did a good bit of touring at the weekend,

836 km, 123kwh used with an average consumption of 147Wh/km

Back of a napkin maths, this set me back circa 60 euro for charging. (leaving with 100%, then2 fast stops at SC in Tesla Belfast and 1 very slow 50kwh charge at ESB charger).

Does this look about right to more experienced drivers?

A family member is a real diesel head and reckons his car would do it cheaper. Its a 40mpg at best, so I can't make the figures add up on that one.

He would win on refuelling, the two SC stops were super fast, the ESB 50kwh charge was painful, single unit which was in use a few times I went past it. Where I was was very barren for charging, lots of 22kw units but few faster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I worked it out @ 88 euro for the 836 @ 40 mpg, I put diesel at 1.50 euro, if he can get 60 mpg then its slightly cheaper @ 59 euro, probably stopping fewer times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Cheers, that's what I was getting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

30k km on the clock so far. Yes I feel the same about the price drops etc vs the balloon payment. My balloon is 26k and its now like 12k on new PCP agreements based on the new price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

A family member is a real diesel head and reckons his car would do it cheaper.

Ask him what he pays every other week when your charging your car at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EV is maxed on savings in the following order

PV only, lots of folks on the Renewables forum are 100% off grid since end of April, (ignoring Capital costs) free fuel, I charged once off the grid since Mid April

Home Charging at lowest market night rate, no Smart Meter and cheapest, I'm currently paying 7.9c night rate (rate no longer available to new sign ups)

Home Charging at lowest market rate 24/7, I never charge from the grid at home during the day

Also should thrown in free working charging...I've never had it

The most expensive way to fuel an EV is public charging, should only do this when unavoidable.

In your case you left with 100% which is perfect, then just take on the chin the uber expensive public charging costs but as Wassie said, balance that cost versus your total cost of fuelling

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

My app (iOS) started exhibiting some weird behavior over the weekend. I lost the service menu option completely. But in the climate section it was showing heating control for rear seats (I've never had this option as it was base SR+).

Went to test it out, but at that point app was completely unresponsive to the point I had to reinstall the app. Everything went back to normal - boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think it's valid to ignore the capital costs of home PV and I suspect that for most people a D/N meter rate works out the most cost effective.

The €10,000 cost of home panels would purchase 100,000 kWh at a 10c night rate which is almost 600,000km/20 years of driving.

Unless there's something off with my numbers/sums, then it would not make financial sense (for us) to buy PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

2 family members have PV panels and neither use it for the EVs - simply because the cars are commuting every day and only charging at night. The panels feed the house during daylight hours. Indeed both houses are completely empty Mon-Fri 8-6pm, so they have household appliances on timers.

as an aside, I also dislike the repayment model for PV panels, because it ignores the opportunity cost of investing that €6-8k rather than spending it on panels.

the reality is that after 15years, the panels have probably paid the €8k back, but even a safe global index fund would be close to 100% more after 15years.

it’s a tangent, sorry - but the panel financial argument is very narrow one, unless you use a lot of electricity during the daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Your average night rate is closer to 20c than 10c at the moment so you would purchase 50,000kWh, which is about 300,000kms or 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I feel car pv charging is like the icing on the cake. Great if you can get some, has been excellent lately.

More important is the loads of hot water and big reduction in expensive daily electricity rates.

Also adds value to your property, a bit like that patio out the back. I also get pleasure from the pv system…😋

I just worked out my own phev for 836 km, based on last months electricity used, mix of night and day rates @ 20cents and 40 cents which works out at .28 cents and average consumption of 1.6 l/100km and 16 kw/100km, over 7000 km, total was 56.70 euro.

In reality I probably would have spend 91 euro on fuel, but at the end of the year, its the average consumption is what the real cost is.

Petrol @ 1.55 euro

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah its the PV for me all day long too.....

I'm lucky in that the car is on the driveway all day during the week, so can easily avail of solar excess..

My system cost €8,800 17 months ago, and do date has generated 5,924kWh of which I've used 5,384kWh, with my day rate being in or around €0.42/kWh that means I've saved myself around €2,261 of electricity (the price per kWh hasn't been exactly that for the full 17 months, but for most of them...). I've also earned €366.03 to date from deemed export, so in 17 months I've clawed back €2,627 of my initial outlay of €8,800.

Assuming electricity rates don't massively decrease over the next 2-3 years (and I can squeeze another year or 2 out of deemed export), The system will have paid for itself in another 3yrs & 4 months, giving a total payback period of just over 4.6 years..

I don't care where the electricity goes, as long as I use it, so it going into the car is just a bonus.. and yes technically I did pre-pay for this back in Oct 2021 when the pv was installed, but so what, that's expenditure that's long since flowed under the bridge... what matters is now and the fact I haven't had to charge the car from the grid since April 5th.. It's currently sat on the driveway at 90%..

Before PV I had to run the gas boiler in 'water' mode for 30 minutes a day during the summer.. now I don't.. always have a half tank of piping hot water... so I'm not even counting the gas savings being made (as well as using a €50 Ikea induction hob that I use instead of the gas hop when I can).

Solar for the win.

If you didn't have Solar PV would you charge your car exclusively during the day @ €0.42c/kWh ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

of course not, no. So anything I put into the EV would really only have to be accounted for at roughly half the cost of day rate pricing, the same with dishwasher & washing machines when run off solar... if they are ever ran from the grid, it would be during night rate hours... so maybe the savings aren't as amplified as much as they would be for someone on a 24hr rate, but savings they still are , and I haven't done anything more than just a very quick math to come up with the figures above, but seeing as I went in with the expectation of a 10-12 year payback, I'll settle for anything less than 6-8 years .. and for some it's (genuinely) not all about the savings..

Incidentally my current night rate is roughly what my day rate was when getting the panels in..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cant see diesel less than €1.70 in north Dublin on my travels today. It’s €1.60 for petrol in my local Go automated station.

just pointing it out as it will effect figures.

I seen it 1.43 or something before the increase, so I assumed around 1.50, interestingly I saw petrol was 10 cent higher same place. its strange the way petrol for a while was cheaper than diesel and now for me its the opposite.

I paid €1.49 just before the increase to fill the 30e. It was €1.59.9 when I passed again 😮

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’m staring at €1.48 diesel here in Dublin, it was €1.44 before that excise increase at the weekend.

if you’re only doing 10,000km annually, even at €1.48 it’s hard to justify overpaying for a similarly sized EV.

Where? That would mean it was in the €1.30’s last week 😮 that’s shockingly low compared to the rest of the city.

Might be worth my while going there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any tips on washing the car?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭antfin

I use a snowfoam prewash. Then the two bucket method and then I dry the car. I apply some Collinite 845 wax after every few washes. I find that washing and keeping the wheels clean is much handier than an ICE so the alloy cleaner (which I had already bought!) isn't really needed.

I am not over fussy, but never use a machine wash. Touch up stone chips immediately (Haven't yet got any on my 15 month old Model 3). I always dry car after washing and use Collinite 845 wax about two or three times a year.

It's an easy car to wash, roof is easy to reach and wheel covers make it simple. My wife's Ioniq 5 is much more difficult due its' size and many trim bits.

Cheers, and would ye use a power wash or just buckets of water?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't use a power washer, (Too lazy to get it out and connected lol) but I have good water pressure in my outside hose, which is on a recoil reel on side of house. (One of the better additions). Enough to get the heavy dirt off before I hand wash with a neutral ph shampoo in a warm water bucket with a mitt. I don't use a two bucket system, probably should. But paint looks good.

Being white, my car doesn't show light dust/dirt much. Flies of course do show, but if you leave the front of car soaking for a while they soften up and clean off easily.

I always use a power washer. On all cars. EV is no different. You’ll need one for snow foam anyway.

The damage is done at the contact stage and what you use to move across the car.

The less often you do it, the more time you'll have for other things in your life 😀

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Ah I wouldn't mind doing it every now and again, my life isn't that interesting and if it gets me away from screaming kids I'm all for it 😂

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement