Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

frozen3 wrote: »
    Would you really get €55,000? They are €65,000 brand new

The new ones will also have the heat pump, powered rear tailgate, new lights, new interior, chrome delete, new wheels, a bigger battery, more range etc. so I think these upgrades will exert downward pressure on earlier, but still very recent, used Model 3s.

The only way to find out will be to put it up for sale & cross your fingers.

Best of luck with it - eyeing up an X5 45e myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

frozen3 wrote: »
    Would you really get €55,000? They are €65,000 brand new

I've no idea what it's worth, bit in some respects a used M3 is a better proposition, because if you know what to look for, you are getting a known quantity. e.g. you can check battery degradation and charging stats via the OBD port.

There's probably a Model 3 buying guide kicking around somewhere, but battery, panel gaps, frunk alignment, steering rack noise, and a test drive to check wind noise ought to cover most of it. And maybe a drive through car wash to check the roof seals.

Lumen wrote: »
    And maybe a drive through car wash to check the roof seals.

Don't Tesla expressly forbid the use of an automated car wash for the Model 3 though! I wouldn't be letting any prospective buyer put my Model 3 through one anyway - I try to keep my cars scratch free, as much as possible :pac:.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jazuz, no way any car of mine would be allowed near a car wash.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Kramer wrote: »
    Don't Tesla expressly forbid the use of an automated car wash for the Model 3 though! I wouldn't be letting any prospective buyer put my Model 3 through one anyway - I try to keep my cars scratch free, as much as possible :pac:.

Tesla suggest that damage caused by using a brushed automatic car wash isn't covered under warranty. I've no idea whether that's common or reasonable.

I don't use brushed car washes either, on the Tesla, but have on other cars without issue (in the sense that after ten to fifteen years of occasional car washes the paint was the least conspicuous problem).

I guess a hose would do it, but I believe the windscreen/roof seal is a common weak point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Tesla suggest that damage caused by using a brushed automatic car wash isn't covered under warranty. I've no idea whether that's common or reasonable.

I don't use brushed car washes either, on the Tesla, but have on other cars without issue (in the sense that after ten to fifteen years of occasional car washes the paint was the least conspicuous problem).

I guess a hose would do it, but I believe the windscreen/roof seal is a common weak point.

I assume it's okay to bring it to a hand wash place? Power washers etc?

Dozz wrote: »
    I assume it's okay to bring it to a hand wash place? Power washers etc?

I bring mine to a hand wash place when we're not in lockdown. 20 euros the last time, just for the outside. Good value for South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

I bring mine to a hand wash place when we're not in lockdown. 20 euros the last time, just for the outside. Good value for South Dublin.

which one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Pm me if you don’t mind or mention them if allowed - it will save me having to research

Carrickmines, the basement car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Brill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

You can wash yourself for €5 to €10 just up the road at the Circle K in Kilternan. Also you have a cheap hand wash place on Taylor’s Lane in Rathfarnham. The Clonskeagh place opposite the Mosque used to be €10, certainly wouldn’t pay €20.

Auto Beauty Club in Monkstown are/were fantastic. €15 for wash, interior windscreen, tyres dressed and interior vacuum.

I've brought the i3 many times through the auto wash and it did nothing to the paintwork, those brushes today are not nearly as bad as years ago.

I also brought the Outlander through it many times and it's done nothing to the paint work. You'd probably do worse with a brush washing the car manually.

8.6% degradation on my LR after 10 months and 25k km.

click for full size

Screenshot-20210131-204703.png

Screenshot-20210131-204655.png

edit: I might be misreading that because I swear it was only reporting 74.5 when new.

Oh dear, that's not good, is it? :eek:

SR+ would suffer more degradation presumably, as they would need far more regular charging, to cover the same mileage.

Kramer wrote: »
    Oh dear, that's not good, is it? :eek:

SR+ would suffer more degradation presumably, as they would need far more regular charging, to cover the same mileage.

As my subsequent edit showed, the highest I've seen "nominal full pack" is (from memory) 74.5kWh. That was a couple weeks after new when I fitted the ODB dongle.

So the 71.1kWh is really about 3.5kWh loss, or 5% down, from that, which is about what I'd expect.

It also might not be accurate as I've only charged it to 100% a couple of times, mostly it sits at 80%, but of course that could work both ways.

I was just on the Tesla site and I was a bit shocked with the 4 year or 50K Km warranty and 8 year and only 100,000 Kms on the battery, makes buying 2nd hand far less attractive ?

The other thing is the 12,100 the Government get off me tax free, that's really shocking when you see all they get written out.

If I were to buy new and keep it it would only be 3 years warranty on the battery/drivetrain only and around 1.5 years normal warranty.

KIa warranty is 7 years 150,000 Kms but the battery only 24 months ? really, just 24 months ?

click for full size

Screenshot-20210131-204703.png

Screenshot-20210131-204655.png

edit: I might be misreading that because I swear it was only reporting 74.5 when new.

Is that right though ? my i3 reports around 3-4% after 4 years and 105,000 kms but the reported battery kappa max usually goes up in the warmer months, the i3 has a smaller battery too needing charging more often, I don't just rely on the battery kappa max though because while it might report 3-4% loss I don't notice it under the same conditions.

Maybe a full discharge and full charge it might show different ? Though I think Bjorn seems to trust the BMS reported loss ?

Is that right though ? my i3 reports around 3-4% after 4 years and 105,000 kms but the reported battery kappa max usually goes up in the warmer months, the i3 has a smaller battery too needing charging more often, I don't just rely on the battery kappa max though because while it might report 3-4% loss I don't notice it under the same conditions.

Maybe a full discharge and full charge ?

It's complicated by the fact (according to randomer on Reddit) cars ship with more than 100% battery capacity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ehshn7/discussion_on_detailed_info_from_scan_my_tesla/
    The non-degraded full pack energy is 245 Wh/mi*310mi = 75.95 kWh. You can actually have a new LR pack that reports more than this, but anything above 75.95 will be clamped in the range calculation and show as no degradation.

I think other mfrs (Audi?) do this also, to give the impression of less degradation.

So whilst ScanMyTesla is correctly reporting that the battery has lost 8% of the highest ever value recorded by the pack, that capacity could in theory have only been "real" for one charge cycle.

The better way to look at degradation is the % of implied advertised capacity, i.e. of 75.95%.

In which case I have 6% loss.

I was just on the Tesla site and I was a bit shocked with the 4 year or 50K Km warranty and 8 year and only 100,000 Kms on the battery, makes buying 2nd hand far less attractive ?

Nope.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/vehicle-warranty
    Model 3 Standard or Standard Range Plus - 8 years or 160,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
    Model 3 Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 192,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Originally Posted by Tesla web site
    Model 3 Standard or Standard Range Plus - 8 years or 160,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
    Model 3 Long Range or Performance - 8 years or 192,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/vehicle-warranty

That's strange then see below ?

dsuUr7F.png

That's strange then see below ?

dsuUr7F.png

Are these LFP batteries that bad that Tesla have almost halved the warranty on them? :eek:.

One hopes it's a mistake & someone in California has, once again, assumed we're part of the UK.
    Or, they are reducing warranties........again :(.

As it is, at 50k km general warranty, they are far less generous compared to many other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

It has to be a website localisation issue, as the same inventory cars in the UK are showing 50k / 100k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Sam W wrote: »
    It has to be a website localisation issue, as the same inventory cars in the UK are showing 50k / 100k miles.

This ^^

Check out the actual warranty document - Here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your degradation cannot be that much, I have similar % in my S which has 185k km and is approaching its 5th birthday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 marknak8

digiman wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my M3 Performance, it's exactly 1 year old with 13,000km. It's blue with white interior, car is in perfect condition interior and exterior.

I'm interested, with a budget of 47K. If that's a number you can consider, just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

The other thing is the 12,100 the Government get off me tax free, that's really shocking when you see all they get written out.

If I were to buy new and keep it it would only be 3 years warranty on the battery/drivetrain only and around 1.5 years normal warranty.

KIa warranty is 7 years 150,000 Kms but the battery only 24 months ? really, just 24 months ?

This has to be a typo. I will email them to check though 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

when i bought my car last year ( M3P) it came with 4 years or 80k warranty & 192K / 8 year on the battery, i wonder if its because of the new batteries in the Chinese cars

jordan191 wrote: »
    when i bought my car last year ( M3P) it came with 4 years or 80k warranty & 192K / 8 year on the battery, i wonder if its because of the new batteries in the Chinese cars

No, it'll just be a miles/km localisation issue in the website content, as Sam W pointed out. See that the location is "London" on the posted inventory ad, so it's basically a UK car presented with a 100 mile warranty, but as it's shown on the Irish site the units are shown as km without proper conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Case Closed on the battery warranty.

541705.png

Advertisement