Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Dozz wrote: »
    Can I ask what part of the country you are in 403?
    I asked about that too but was told that I was close to Dublin so it will be delivered by a driver

North Co. Dublin

Also no trade-in - So I have no idea how they will get back as let's say public transport isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

North Co. Dublin

I'm Kildare........

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

I'm around 30km from Tesla Sandyford, can't say I'm all that bothered if someone drives it out and adds 30km to the clock.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    I'm around 30km from Tesla Sandyford, can't say I'm all that bothered if someone drives it out and adds 30km to the clock.
    @Aph If yours is coming on flat bed you might ask them to swap with me???

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

North Co. Dublin

Also no trade-in - So I have no idea how they will get back as let's say public transport isn't great!

I’d imagine there will be someone driving another car behind them

• Advertisement

I’ve heard nothing so assume all is well

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bobjs

What dates have you been given?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Tesla won't let me collect my car from their H.Q. so I asked if I could get it delivered to my in-laws house just down the road. No to that as well. They will drive the car to my house for delivery with about an hour's notice... I don't know how I feel about someone else driving my car...

Multiple people will have driven your car before you get it, taking it on and off the boats, transporters etc. And the extra mileage to your house would be added by driving it home anyway, what difference does it make who drives it?

Personally I think it’s fantastic customer service by Tesla and I totally understand why they will only deliver it to the registered address. All seems very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Multiple people will have driven your car before you get it, taking it on and off the boats, transporters etc. And the extra mileage to your house would be added by driving it home anyway, what difference does it make who drives it?

Personally I think it’s fantastic customer service by Tesla and I totally understand why they will only deliver it to the registered address. All seems very reasonable.

In fairness that's a valid point. I just think you know "customers always right" your spending 50k if you want to pick it up ( from storage location if they can't keep them at SC)or get it delivered to a different address it should be your call. There's no way you'd get treated like this from audi bmw or Merc

Hi Wayne. I understand where you are coming from but personally I would prefer to collect and drive the car myself.
    I don't understand how it can't be accommodated to be honest, considering I sold my old car to a garage during this lockdown and had to drive it up to Dublin and fill in paperwork etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Hi Wayne. I understand where you are coming from but personally I would prefer to collect and drive the car myself.
    I don't understand how it can't be accommodated to be honest, considering I sold my old car to a garage during this lockdown and had to drive it up to Dublin and fill in paperwork etc.
    J-W wrote: »
    In fairness that's a valid point. I just think you know "customers always right" your spending 50k if you want to pick it up ( from storage location if they can't keep them at SC)or get it delivered to a different address it should be your call. There's no way you'd get treated like this from audi bmw or Merc

Ah yeah I see why you want to drive your own car in fairness. But it’s out of their hands really. “Click and Collect” is not allowed by the government, it’s nothing to do with Tesla. All they are allowed offer is click and deliver. And the delivery address has to be the registered owner address AFAIK.

And the problem is, if they were to accommodate you and let you collect, somebody would find out and they’d be fined or shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Wasn't there a post recently that you were allowed to collect a car if the order was put in before level 5 lockdown .

Ha I just looked back over posts and it was yourself wayne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭decp

Surely the model y will be shipped to Ireland from the U.S or China ?

Vin LRW3F7FA2MC1*****

Firstly, thank you (all) for helping me to make the leap of 'belief' and ordering a Tesla for the first time..

I just got a delivery date in March and a VIN but the online VIN decoders are giving conflicting info China vs Fremont, battery type and manuf year?

Any help would be apreciated....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

decp wrote: »
    Vin LRW3F7FA2MC1*****

Firstly, thank you (all) for helping me to make the leap of 'belief' and ordering a Tesla for the first time..

I just got a delivery date in March and a VIN but the online VIN decoders are giving conflicting info China vs Fremont, battery type and manuf year?

LRW is china.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

decp wrote: »
    Vin LRW3F7FA2MC1*****

You're getting an MIC car
    Some of the online decoders are not updated to take account for the chinese cars.

Some good news on the LFP battery

https://youtu.be/hTXxfuSDv6c

Some good news on the LFP battery

https://youtu.be/hTXxfuSDv6c

Thanks Dozz that now gives some confidence in the new battery

What’s the recommendation on charging LFP? Constant top ups - always as high as you can get - never let drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭TheRef

Anyone get a spacesaver wheel recently they can recommend?
    I know tyremen in the UK do them for £250, but now post Brexit, its likely a lot more.

I have the plug kit and have the insurance roadside assistance to fall back on, but I don't like the idea of being stuck on the side of the road for hours or being towed to a place no where near I am staying and having to wait for it to open in the morning etc.

I noticed oponeo are doing alloys for €115 but it looks like a full size and would need the tyre etc. separately.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TheRef wrote: »
    Anyone get a spacesaver wheel recently they can recommend?
    I know tyremen in the UK do them for £250, but now post Brexit, its likely a lot more.

I have the plug kit and have the insurance roadside assistance to fall back on, but I don't like the idea of being stuck on the side of the road for hours or being towed to a place no where near I am staying and having to wait for it to open in the morning etc.

I noticed oponeo are doing alloys for €115 but it looks like a full size and would need the tyre etc. separately.

I also carry a plug kit and a compressor with me in the car, though when I go to replace my PS4's (rears coming up soon with 22,000 km on them), I'm just going to get the non acoustic versions, without the foam insert, so that I can also carry a can of tyre weld in the boot (for any awkward punctures that I couldn't do with the plug kit, or if it was dark and terrible weather).

I know the above solutions won't help me out if the tyre completely fails, but the odds on that are acceptable to me, and at that point, I'd be happy to call out Tesla assistance....

(carrying a space saver means also carrying a jack & wheel brace...... too much weight imo*, you also lose valuable boot space)

*I know the compressor is weight too, but its a small Michelin one I got years ago, and I actually use it regularly to top up the pressure on all tyres, so it's a weight I'm willing to carry around with me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...are you not covered by Tesla when car under warranty? They offer free tow up to 80km and loaner wheel for up to three days if available at the roadside.
    Why pay again with your insurance?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

I also carry a plug kit and a compressor with me in the car, though when I go to replace my PS4's (rears coming up soon with 22,000 km on them), I'm just going to get the non acoustic versions, without the foam insert, so that I can also carry a can of tyre weld in the boot (for any awkward punctures that I couldn't do with the plug hit, or if it was dark and terrible weather).

I know the above solutions won't help me out if the tyre completely fails, but the odds on that are acceptable to me, and at that point, I'd be happy to call out Tesla assistance....

(carrying a space saver means also carrying a jack & wheel brace...... too much weight imo*)

*I know the compressor is weight too, but its a small Michelin one I got years ago, and I actually use it regularly to top up the pressure on all tyres, so it's a weight I'm willing to carry around with me.

+1, especially as the car comes with a high quality rubbers.

I would do 30k+ a year and in last 10 years I've had 3 flat tyres that were all able to be sorted with plugs and/or compressor to get me to where I'm going. Based on my own experience, combined with Tesla assistance, I'm willing to accept the very low risk of complete tyre failure over the additional weight & space a spare wheel would take - YMMV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

wassie wrote: »
    in last 10 years I've had 3 flat tyres that were all able to be sorted with plugs and/or compressor to get me to where I'm going.

I bought a plug kit years ago in America, thinking I'd never use it, but came home from the airport about 4 years ago in an Audi A6 rental, and discovered it had a puncture, and I couldn't be ar$ed going back to the airport to change it, so plugged it and drove it around the country for about 1,000km and it was fine.

Then just before collecting the model 3, my 3 Series (which is on run flats) got a puncture, so again I plugged it and it was fine for the 2 weeks I drove on it (I know run flats shouldn't be repaired, but both rear tyres needed replacing anyway, so I ordered 2 from Openeo, and had them fitted once they arrived, so was happy to drive locally on the plugged run flat for 2 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭TheRef

Going on the reports on the FB page, the Tesla roadside assistance is incredibly poor. Often waiting on hold for 45 mins for the phone to be answered and then waiting hours for the truck to arrive. Folks tend to use their insurance roadside assistance.
    I know bad-luck stories are heard about a lot more than the positive stories, but I don't think I have heard any positive roadside assistance stories about Tesla in the last year.

Getting a flat and relying on roadside assistance can be a "few hour" disruption or a multi-day event depending on the circumstance.

Maybe AndyBoBandy is on the right track - non-acoustic and foam. At least that way, on a bank holiday Saturday evening in Kerry with the screaming kids and wife, I won't be left high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats interesting to hear actual experiences of the roadside assist. And Im certainly not advocating against a spare wheel - Ive always had at least a space saver until getting my Tesla. Like all aspects of motoring everything is a compromise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks Dozz that now gives some confidence in the new battery

What’s the recommendation on charging LFP? Constant top ups - always as high as you can get - never let drain?

Tesla now recommend to charge to 90% whenever you want and only charge to 100% for trips where its needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Gumbo wrote: »
    Tesla now recommend to charge to 90% whenever you want and only charge to 100% for trips where its needed.

I think the LFP battery in the MIC M3 SR+ can be charged to 100% all the time. Thats whats been said at the moment. Now I don't know if thats due to the battery management system needing to be calibrated as were the suggestions. The LFP battery car drivers are the Tesla Beta Testers!

Gumbo wrote: »

Hi Gumbo
    I was led to believe that the LFP batteries (only in the SR+ model) can be charged to 100% regularly without any effect on battery degreadation. Therefore you have access to a greater range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldnt be happy to be beta testing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Gumbo
    I was led to believe that the LFP batteries (only in the SR+ model) can be charged to 100% regularly without any effect on battery degreadation. Therefore you have access to a greater range.

Very possible. I only charge to 100% in my MSP when given the chance (Work etc) so it wouldn't be that often.

In the App, there is still a definitive line at 90% so maybe a 2021 Refresh Owner can confirm if this is still the case in their app.

• Advertisement

See attached photo (sorry for poor quality).
    That is from a live chat I had about my car.
    Hope it's of help.

Advertisement