Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

Cars change spec all the time, not unique to tesla.

So are RHD drives for U.K and Ireland still sent from the U.S with inferior build quality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

I have a 2021 SR+ ordered . Wasn't clever or tactical the upgrades were a surprise to me .
    I have no doubt that within a year either through our gov copping on or Tesla implementing new battery tech there will be a much better and or cheaper version of my car available.

It's just the way Tesla operates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kramer wrote: »
    Is anyone who took delivery of a 202 reg Model 3 not pissed off that just a few months later, the price dropped almost €1k (SR+, vat reduction) & the car will now include a heat pump, better specs, glass etc.?

When it comes to selling on, an early 202 Model 3 will be worth far less than a later 202 Model 3, which will have more range etc.

Elon pinched pennies by removing mats, cables, dimming door mirrors etc. already & has now seriously devalued cars, just a few months old.
    He has effectively taken money from your pockets :eek:.

If people didn't buy these July cars at full price, he wouldn't be able to push out these higher spec models.

Two solutions to right this wrong.

1. Give early 202 owners free supercharging or make some gesture
    2. Immediately push up the price of the new, upgraded model :p.

.............ducks & waits to be attacked by prospective Model 3 purchasers...... :p:D:D.

I think most buyers know that a mid-life refresh or entirely new model is just around the corner and that their gleaming new purchase is going to be bested by something else before long.

Yes, Tesla does things a little differently (in that they make updates all the time, rather than the life-cycle schedule that other manufacturers follow), but it's still essentially the same thing.

I'm sure some people will agree with you, and think that something must be done to right a perceived wrong, but most will just understand that this is the nature of car purchasing. If you're describing your own situation here, my advice would be to let it go and enjoy the lovely car that you're privileged enough to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will agree with you, and think that something must be done to right a perceived wrong

Yes, yes, that's it in a nutshell - a sense of justice must prevail, almost social to be honest.
    Yes, I do feel aggrieved I've no heat pump or photochromic wing mirrors.

Why should I be the one who loses out?

Elon should make this right, or I'll not be happy & toys may be seen exiting a pram :D.

But seriously, these are major, major upgrades. In the SR+, a more robust battery, more range, acoustic glass, heat pump, redesigned console etc. It's more than just a facelift.
    Other manufacturers ubiquitously increase pricing with upgrades like these - see the eNiro thread etc. Obviously, they also may have to discount existing (pre update/upgrade) stock, as no one will pay the same for a poorer specced car.

Tesla do neither.........some win, some lose. They offer "bargain" time-limited upgrades (FSD lite recently) & advise "buy it now before it increases in price" etc.

They won't change, they are selling cars & their share price is just ridiculous but that won't last forever.

In terms of my privilege, yes, I agree, Elon is very privileged & should make amends :D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I drive a 201 SR+, and couldnt give a rats ar$e about what any other Tesla Model 3 looks like once it hits the road....

We love our Model 3 and that's all that matters. It's planned that we'll keep it for 10+ years (as long as it lasts), or maybe we'll swap it for a Model Y in a few years, or maybe even keep it and still get a Y, who knows??

But what I do know is that it's fecking awesome, and other/newer versions of it with better glass, or a heat pump, or 21km of additional range, or a slightly different interior won't make my car any less awesome....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't get this, I have a Tesla and expect they get better and better as time goes on, best of luck to those in better versions, I hope my car is better than the iteration previous so why have the expectation of the car not getting better.
    A line has to be drawn somewhere between iterations.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Yes, yes, that's it in a nutshell - a sense of justice must prevail, almost social to be honest.

Elon should make this right, or I'll not be happy & toys may be seen exiting a pram :D.

But seriously, these are major, major upgrades. In the SR+, a more robust battery, more range, acoustic glass, heat pump, redesigned console etc. It's more than just a facelift.
    Other manufacturers ubiquitously increase pricing with upgrades like these - see the eNiro thread etc. Obviously, they also may have to discount existing (pre update/upgrade) stock, as no one will pay the same for a poorer specced car.

Tesla do neither.........some win, some lose. They offer "bargain" time-limited upgrades (FSD lite recently) & advise "buy it now before it increases in price" etc.

They won't change, they are selling cars & their share price is just ridiculous but that won't last forever.

In terms of my privilege, yes, I agree, Elon is very privileged & should make amends :D.

With regards to the Battery
    More Robust/More Range remains to be seen, it is much heavier. Heat Pump will make a big difference for sure in cold weather when you can't start from a Charging station or need to Rapid Charge immediately after the car has been sitting in Cold Weather for a day or 2 unplugged.

Since I'm usually parked on a charging station anyway I just set it to charge 30 minutes before I go and turn the climate on, battery is up to temperature before I leave.

Now in Nordic climates I could see a very big margin where it could improve range (like starting off in -30 degrees or whatever)

Ireland though has a fairly moderate climate all year round, VW didn't even include it in the ID3 for the Irish market.

It's nice to have, don't do crying over it. :pac:

Some free SC km would be nice though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Seth!

Would you call Apple to get you a newer iPhone every year when they release a new one? No you don't so just accept what you have... or sell it and order a new one.

Seth! wrote: »
    Would you call Apple to get you a newer iPhone every year when they release a new one?

That's entirely different though.

Would you happily pay €47k for a current Model 3 or wait a month & pay the same €47k for an arguably far, far better car?

Anyway, I've reached out to Elon & July reg Model 3 owners can thank me when I get free supercharging for life for us, slighted owners :pac:.

That's entirely different though.

Would you happily pay €47k for a current Model 3 or wait a month & pay the same €47k for an arguably far, far better car?

Anyway, I've reached out to Elon & July reg Model 3 owners can thank me when I get free supercharging for life for us, slighted owners :pac:.

It's not different you just put numbers on it hence it is "different". You have a product that you purchased (no one forced you to) at a time then same product had some update and now you are crying about it. It is the same just forget the numbers and the manufacturer. Like I said if you don't like it sell it then buy the newer one. No one will compensate for something that is a normal thing to do in car world or any other market...

• Advertisement

Seth! wrote: »
    No one will compensate for something that is a normal thing to do in car world or any other market...

We'll see about that :P.

I've tweeted at Elon & DM'd him. I'm expecting he'll get back to me any time now, else I'll boycott Tesla. That'll teach him :D.

6/7/8% usage acceptable usage for sentry mode? The whole car must stay awake while it's running, using 250 or 300 watts :eek:.

Pity.

Depending where you are parked, expect to lose up to 8-10% per 24 hours with Sentey Mode

When I parked in the boat carpark in Carrick-On-Shannon back in August, I got about 275 Sentey events over a week, and it cost roughly 9% per day in my SR+

Depending where you are parked, expect to lose up to 8-10% per 24 hours with Sentey Mode

Good job it auto closes at 20% soc.

For comparison, I always use dual, hardwired, 1080p front & rear dashcams, in parking mode, with a voltage detector to prevent the 12v dropping too low.

These will run for days & days on any car's 12v system.

In fairness, my PHEV detects the milliamp draw & reports it after a few days, but it's a pity the Tesla is so power hungry. You'd keep a full modern house heated with less energy these days.

Not complaining (I am complaining though :D).

Why the voltage detector, does the Tesla not monitor the 12v itself and auto top it up from the HV should the need arise. I’ve a hard wired dash cam too and it’s on 24/7 for months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is anyone who took delivery of a 202 reg Model 3 not pissed off that just a few months later, the price dropped almost €1k (SR+, vat reduction) & the car will now include a heat pump, better specs, glass etc.?

When it comes to selling on, an early 202 Model 3 will be worth far less than a later 202 Model 3, which will have more range etc.

Elon pinched pennies by removing mats, cables, dimming door mirrors etc. already & has now seriously devalued cars, just a few months old.
    He has effectively taken money from your pockets :eek:.

If people didn't buy these July cars at full price, he wouldn't be able to push out these higher spec models.

Two solutions to right this wrong.

1. Give early 202 owners free supercharging or make some gesture
    2. Immediately push up the price of the new, upgraded model :p.

.............ducks & waits to be attacked by prospective Model 3 purchasers...... :p:D:D.

Same happens in the ICE world.

30th June 2014. BMW F10 is ordered.
    1st July 2014, that same car is ordered only this time xenon is standard, LED fogs are standard. Slightly upgraded interior with. We wheel etc.

Just luck of the draw.

slave1 wrote: »
    Why the voltage detector, does the Tesla not monitor the 12v itself and auto top it up from the HV should the need arise.

I had the voltage detectors/dashcams in my PHEV & Ioniq. I had hoped Tesla's sentry mode/dashcam feature would negate the need for a 3rd party solution, but unfortunately not :(.

I'll be ripping through a Model 3 soon now...............:pac:.

The Model 3 has been made and delivered for over 3 years now, so of course it was going to get refreshed at some stage....

Was it mentioned in this or the previous thread that the Model 3 is the worlds best selling plug in electric car, ever?

From Wikipedia;
    Until 2019, the Nissan Leaf was the world's all-time top selling highway legal plug-in electric car, with global sales of 450,000 units by December 2019. The Tesla Model 3 surpassed Leaf sales in early 2020 to become the world's best selling plug-in electric car ever. Global sales since inception totalled almost 525,000 units up to March 2020.

Two ground breakers there, I know Tesla (rightly) gets the kudos but enough can't be said for what the Leaf has done for EV progression

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj73Q3lWvFM

Getting this more and more.

slave1 wrote: »
    Two ground breakers there, I know Tesla (rightly) gets the kudos but enough can't be said for what the Leaf has done for EV progression

100% agree.
    The Leaf paved the way and I still to this day would have no hesitation recommending one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Gumbo wrote: »
    100% agree.
    The Leaf paved the way and I still to this day would have no hesitation recommending one.

We are a two EV house, my wife drives the leaf and I have to say the cruise control and lane assist are much better than my model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

mouthful wrote: »
    We are a two EV house, my wife drives the leaf and I have to say the cruise control and lane assist are much better than my model 3

wow

my main attraction to going Tesla is the autopilot etc ... but the stuff you read about it like this is kind of worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

drumm23 wrote: »
    wow

my main attraction to going Tesla is the autopilot etc

I thought that too until I owned one. It's strengths are much deeper than autopilot, that's just something that gets a lot of coverage.

Lumen wrote: »
    I thought that too until I owned one. It's strengths are much deeper than autopilot, that's just something that gets a lot of coverage.

What's the other strengths out of interest ?

Apart from the reasons as other EV’s including costs etc

It’s the tech and performance that are the main ones for me.
    No other EV matches it.

*for the average person.
    Not getting into a Taycan V Model S debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

wow

my main attraction to going Tesla is the autopilot etc ... but the stuff you read about it like this is kind of worrying

My main attaction was the charging network.

Type in your destination and go ... no planning or messing with cards/apps.

Superchargers always work as well

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Throttle" response, transformative effect of regen on driving safety, smoothness of drivetrain, directness of steering, well integrated infotainment, "camping" experience (no 12V issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Lumen wrote: »
    "Throttle" response, transformative effect of regen on driving safety, smoothness of drivetrain, directness of steering, well integrated infotainment, "camping" experience (no 12V issues).

Power, range, Savage acceleration, even SR+ would leave most ICE cars for dead, fit a family of five no problem, did I say speed, Performance is just on a different level, overall I think I my M3p- has been amazing over the last 11 months

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

wow

Given a choice between driving the leaf and the Tesla there is no competition.

The Tesla is my toy!

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPbgk-MRTI. :D:D I had to do it.... (sorry not sorry :D)

Advertisement