Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Given the new cap of 60k for electric car grant I wonder if Tesla will release a AWD “standard” range for under 60k with an option to “unlock” the full battery. So you get the grant and range. Will see in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Won't happen as it would mean creating an Irish specific model. They have a product the world cant get enough of at the moment and our market is way too small to justify the cost of the required software design changes needed to accommodate this.

At this price point loss of the 5k grant will not stop people buying this car and the Government know this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

wassie wrote: »
    Won't happen as it would mean creating an Irish specific model. They have a product the world cant get enough of at the moment and our market is way too small to justify the cost of the required software design changes needed to accommodate this.

At this price point loss of the 5k grant will not stop people buying this car and the Government know this.

They did it in Canada.... granted a much larger market.

In Canada you can get a Model 3 Standard Range (with 151km range), to avail of grants over there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In Canada you can get a Model 3 Standard Range (with 151km range), to avail of grants over there.

Isn't that a different scenario, entry to the Canadian grants is based on the lowest available price.
    They don't actually want to sell you a 151km range Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Canada is a bit different. You don't actually buy the 151km version , it's the fact that it's an option that gives the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't forget to register your car as an EV for reduced tolls, you need to inform them as it is not automatic, you also need to setup a video account with one of the crowds

You need a tag, not a video account.

JohnC. wrote: »
    You need a tag, not a video account.

This.

And don’t assume they’ll know your car is an EV....

I had to call eFlow, and tell them that a Tesla was an EV.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aurora303

Hey guys,

Thinking of ordering an LR M3 from Inventory to hopefully avail of the grant before cutoff. I had originally planned to wait until later in the year but dont want to miss out on the grant.
    In terms of the Inventory cars what is the difference between those and one that you custom order yourself? They are listed as location: London and < 50KM on the odometer.
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

aurora303 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thinking of ordering an LR M3 from Inventory to hopefully avail of the grant before cutoff. I had originally planned to wait until later in the year but dont want to miss out on the grant.
    In terms of the Inventory cars what is the difference between those and one that you custom order yourself? They are listed as location: London and < 50KM on the odometer.
    Thanks!

Hi Aurora,

No real difference. It just means that if there are changes in the next quarter's cars you won't get them. I wouldn't worry about it though, I have a 2021 LR I got last month and I love it.

Don't forget to use a referral code before ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I was thinking it was going to be a busy quarter for Tesla but never guessed this. They have 50 Model 3s in stock from which just 1 is SR+. And their custom build delivery still says June.

• Advertisement

The inventory cars are basically extra cars that were shipped to U.K./IRL, and cars that were ordered, and cancelled when the car was already en-route...

When I ordered mine in January 2020, I was told April delivery. Then a week later a car came up in inventory in the exact spec I ordered, so got onto Tesla and they assigned it to me, and I picked it up from Tesla in Mid-March.

They told me (back then anyway) that there were always a few extra cars thrown into every shipment, for many reasons like as test drive cars, or press cars, or as donor cars etc...... and some just end up going straight into inventory..... it’s always handy to have a few cars available almost immediately (Tesla’s immediately) for quick sales..

Didn’t a Boardsie order a Model 3 last year, and picked it up 5-6 days later?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭decp

decp wrote: »
    Just got a call from Tesla with the 'its not you its me' speech and I have been moved back to May. :-(
    It was 10th of March

Remember me. I just had a text message "Great news, a car has now been allowcated to your order..."

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

innrain wrote: »
    I was thinking it was going to be a busy quarter for Tesla but never guessed this. They have 50 Model 3s in stock from which just 1 is SR+. And their custom build delivery still says June.

Inventory cars are also cars which are already sold, they put them on the site if someone cancels before collection

Tesla in the news again for the wrong reasons.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0419/1210680-tesla-texas/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wouldn't blame Tesla for the actions of an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wouldn't blame Tesla for the actions of an idiot.
    +1

short report https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWe2l57z_A

So I did my first big journey today.

Left the house (terenure) at 6.15 on 97% and headed for Craigavon (getting the vaccine as I'm still registered with bank accounts etc at parents house). Sat on the m50 at 90 and then on the M1 at 105 (slipstreaming a bus as far as Drogheda).

Got to the Rushmere centre at 8.15 with 49% left. Stuck it on charge (22k charger) and went off to get a bite to eat, a coffee and a wander around Sainsbury's). Came back after 1hr 45 minutes and headed to the centre for the vaccine. Was back at the charger in 45 minutes and threw it back on the charge for another 1hr 20 minutes. Had a socially distanced coffee with the mother and picked up a few bits from homebase.

Got back to the car and it was back to 99%.

Headed to Monaghan (stuff to sort out at the vrt centre) and then the run back to Dublin. Sat at a steady 120 on the M1 and mostly 100 on the M50.

Battery level is 53%!!

Paid my 2 journies on the m50 in the local petrol station. Girl behind the counter says 3? I held up 2 fingers and said again 2. €9.30....i says to her that's very expensive for 2 trips. She told me it was and to ring Eflow. I did. She charged me for 3. Dope of a young one.

Lovely comfortable trip and any range anxiety I had this morning was long gone after a few kilometres. This really is the future of motoring and I have to say....I'm in!!

Just checked my ESB account and believe or not the cost to charge in the north....Zero!!

3 hours of charging! And drove, maybe 4 hours? Not counting the previous night charging.

3 hours of charging! And drove, maybe 4 hours? Not counting the previous night charging.

5 hours driving. The 3 hours charging was destination charging. I wasn't sitting around waiting for the car to charge....there happened to be a free charger and I used it. For free!!
    If I'd went with the ABRP app advice I'd have needed 1 10 minute charge at a Tesla supercharger in castlebelingham to get me home if I hadn't bothered charging in Craigavon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's because he was using destination/AC charging when he could (should for time savings) be using DC.

Sometimes it's not all about the quickest time though, as can be seen here.

I can bet in the 3 hours spent destination charging, a single thought wasn't given to 'when will it be finished/ready to go again', whereas when DC charging, it's all about how soon you can be back on your way again....

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's nice to go for a coffee and a walk.
    Other times it's about getting there as fast as you can. At least in an EV when getting coffee and a walk you can "fill up" albeit slower whilst in an ICE you cant.

Thats why I think ESB are mad to not be installing any new AC22 sites..... They are relatively cheap units, and will always be used in places where people will spend a few hours....... not in a Tesco...

The likes of Bray seafront, there's 2 AC22 units..... there should be 10 of them.. same goes for every other touristy amenity....

but this is a conversation for another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The Media don't do any research these days, just one paper reports something and everyone copies that without researching anything at all.

Autopilot doesn't work unless someone is sitting in the passenger seat, and the car didn't even have Autonomous driving purchased.

So the only way these idiots could have killed themselves was to stick some weight in the seat and push the pedal to get the car going, enable Autopilot (adaptive cruise control with lane assist) and take off.

ffs they could do the same in a Honda Civic.

550774.jpg

I can bet in the 3 hours spent destination charging, a single thought wasn't given to 'when will it be finished/ready to go again', whereas when DC charging, it's all about how soon you can be back on your way again....

Forgive my ignorance on this. What's the difference in AC charging and DC charging?

Again the 3 hours spent charging wasn't really because I needed it but I was there so it "saved" me a stop later. There were 2 charging points there and in my time there not another vehicle took the other spot. To be fair I'm new to this and I wouldn't "hog" a charger as that is unfair to someone who might be in genuine need of a top up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Forgive my ignorance on this. What's the difference in AC charging and DC charging?

Again the 3 hours spent charging wasn't really because I needed it but I was there so it "saved" me a stop later. There were 2 charging points there and in my time there not another vehicle took the other spot. To be fair I'm new to this and I wouldn't "hog" a charger as that is unfair to someone who might be in genuine need of a top up.

AC - the slow charger. 22kw posts. Lidl etc
    DC - fast charger. Ccs, SuC etc

and to add, the maximum a Model 3 can take on an AC unit is 11kW....

so 3 hours on an cars AC22kW unit, and model 3 will take 33kW..

Thanks lads.

So AC is really leave it for a couple of hours if you're going shopping, meeting friends etc.

DC is when you need topped up quickly to resume your journey.

and to add, the maximum a Model 3 can take on an AC unit is 11kW....

so 3 hours on an cars AC22kW unit, and model 3 will take 33kWh..
    Correct.
    The pedant in me couldnt avoid the emboldened h.
    Thanks lads.

So AC is really leave it for a couple of hours if you're going shopping, meeting friends etc.

DC is when you need topped up quickly to resume your journey.
    Exactly.

Also no time limit when charging with ESB AC chargers, but a 45 minute limit on ESB DC chargers....

• Advertisement

Yeah the 45min limit has been frustrating when trying to get a full charge to go cross country over the last year when often I was the only car there. However starting to see the traffic really ramp up over this month so will start to serve its purpose again.

Advertisement