Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

It's not enough til just keep your hands on the steering wheel. The car needs to feel their presence ever so often, so if your grip is too loose it won't notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@innrain: which model did you test?

IMO the cruisey driver assistance features are only useful on empty motorways at constant speed. All other times I do a better job of driving smoothly with them off. This is particularly noticable when I have passengers, who complain about the jerkiness of the autonomous driving. IMO it is not currently possible for a car to drive as smoothly as a driver with decades and hundreds of thousands of km of experience in their brain.

The drive assistance feature I like most is the collision detection warnings, which are occasionally useful when I'm tired or distracted, although a bit oversensitive. Obviously I don't intend to drive tired or distracted, but humans can err too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Lumen wrote: »
    @innrain: which model did you test?

IMO the cruisey driver assistance features are only useful on empty motorways at constant speed. All other times I do a better job of driving smoothly with them off. This is particularly noticable when I have passengers, who complain about the jerkiness of the autonomous driving. IMO it is not currently possible for a car to drive as smoothly as a driver with decades and hundreds of thousands of km of experience in their brain.

The drive assistance feature I like most is the collision detection warnings, which are occasionally useful when I'm tired or distracted, although a bit oversensitive. Obviously I don't intend to drive tired or distracted, but humans can err too.
    It was the SR+

The concern comes from the debate: Does it worth the enhanced autopilot? Do I need it? Is it useful, it is going to make my commute on M50 more comfortable? Or it is going to be a constant engage - disengage battle?

Sabre Man wrote: »
    It's not enough til just keep your hands on the steering wheel. The car needs to feel their presence ever so often, so if your grip is too loose it won't notice them.
    I was kinda steering it. So much that I was disengaging but as I said it is probably a matter of getting used.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

innrain wrote: »
    I was kinda steering it. So much that I was disengaging but as I said it is probably a matter of getting used.

The trick is to find a comfortable position where you have your hand on the wheel, and only applying enough grip to let the car know you're there...

You dont need to move your hand very often if the roads you're driving on have curves and bends, and the car needs to follow them (even just mild wheel adjustments), as the weight of your hand on the wheel will be enough to let the car know your hand is on the wheel...

The trouble is when on a fairly long straight section, those minor wheel adjustments aren't there, and thats when the reminders kick in... a very subtle bit of pressure from your hand on the wheel is all thats needed to cancel the warnings....

I used to never like overtaking with it, as it always kept the car a little to the left of the lane for my liking, but since a few updates ago (and the nav update), it keeps a much nicer lane position when overtaking.

If you tried it for a long motorway spin, you'd soon get the feel for it.. (dont think I've ever used it on an any way busy M50 though, that's just not the place for it...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agreed, useful for long motorway drives, i dont use it much apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The trick is to find a comfortable position where you have your hand on the wheel, and only applying enough grip to let the car know you're there...

You dont need to move your hand very often if the roads you're driving on have curves and bends, and the car needs to follow them (even just mild wheel adjustments), as the weight of your hand on the wheel will be enough to let the car know your hand is on the wheel...

The trouble is when on a fairly long straight section, those minor wheel adjustments aren't there, and thats when the reminders kick in... a very subtle bit of pressure from your hand on the wheel is all thats needed to cancel the warnings....

I used to never like overtaking with it, as it always kept the car a little to the left of the lane for my liking, but since a few updates ago (and the nav update), it keeps a much nicer lane position when overtaking.

If you tried it for a long motorway spin, you'd soon get the feel for it.. (dont think I've ever used it on an any way busy M50 though, that's just not the place for it...)

I use the standard autopilot for my daily N3,M50, M1 commute. Find it great. Distance at 7. Obviously you have to override it when changing lanes and reengage after.

Was great on the 1long trip I've done in the last year or so as well.

I use the standard autopilot for my daily N3,M50, M1 commute. Find it great. Distance at 7. Obviously you have to override it when changing lanes and reengage after.

I rarely have to override it.. simply indicating knocks it off for me...

distance wise, I actually have it at 1/2/3 on motorways, but increase it to 3-4-5 at slower speeds on non motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Need a bit of advice! 2019 e-Niro driver here looking to upgrade for some more range and faster charging often driving to Donegal - Dublin.

Love the Niro but keen to upgrade and have been looking at the EV6/ID4 and Model 3/Y. Kia EV6 looking at around €52k and a model 3 LR coming in around €60k. Tesla gave me a ring today and said to order soon with the SEAI changes coming in soon.

Always wanted a Model 3 but is now a good time given we don’t know if they’ll adjust the price post July or may have further refreshes with longer range soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Need a bit of advice! 2019 e-Niro driver here looking to upgrade for some more range and faster charging often driving to Donegal - Dublin.

Love the Niro but keen to upgrade and have been looking at the EV6/ID4 and Model 3/Y. Kia EV6 looking at around €52k and a model 3 LR coming in around €60k. Tesla gave me a ring today and said to order soon with the SEAI changes coming in soon.

Always wanted a Model 3 but is now a good time given we don’t know if they’ll adjust the price post July or may have further refreshes with longer range soon?

It’s very hard to know what they will do price wise after the SEAI grant goes. They are unlikely to drop the price too much after I’d say.

If it was me, I’d order beforehand. They refreshed the model 3 late last year, so any major changes are unlikely for a while.

Just make sure to use a referral code if you do order to get some free supercharging. Few of us here have codes ;)

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    It’s very hard to know what they will do price wise after the SEAI grant goes. They are unlikely to drop the price too much after the grant goes I’d say.

If it was me, I’d order before the grant goes. They refreshed the model 3 late last year, so any major changes are unlikely for a while.

Just make sure to use a referral code if you do order to get some free supercharging. Few of us here have codes ;)

Oh, and don’t bother requesting a trade in from Tesla. They give paltry valuations :/

My logic was like that: A non-white + hitch LR is 67k pre-grant. To fit in the 60k after July they have to slash 7k. That is a lot of money. In US there were a couple of incremental price hikes. Rumor has it they've sold all their stock for Q2 since the end of April. Hard to believe price will drop so much in July.

On the opposite I was reading that Tesla opened for new markets in Eastern Europe and a LR has a starting price of 52k before incentives or 42k after with the SR+ @35k. I don't think they sell @ loss there so enough room to play.
    At the end is up to you but my LR arrives tomorrow

Thanks for the tips! Any recommendations on places that give better valuations in the dublin area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

£50,000 Tesla crushed by concrete blocks falling from lorry

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk-tesla-wrecked-by-blocks-falling-from-lorry-8006612

Tesla did its job very well...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

Has anyone taken delivery of a M3 w/black interior in the last few weeks? If so has the direction of the wood grain on updated door panels been changed to horizontal rather than the initial vertical? I've seen images for Fremont produced M3's which do however haven't heard anything on whether Shanghai has also introduced these changes.

slave1 wrote: »
    £50,000 Tesla NOT crushed by concrete blocks falling from lorry

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk-tesla-wrecked-by-blocks-falling-from-lorry-8006612

Just made a slight modification there in case that happened to be teh 1st post a prospective buyer might see upon entering this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

slave1 wrote: »
    £50,000 Tesla crushed by concrete blocks falling from lorry

That is ****ing terrifying.

Oh, and don’t bother requesting a trade in from Tesla. They give paltry valuations :/

I just got my valuation back, eep. Won't be taking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Test drove a Model 3, or actually any Tesla, first time ever on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. We took the LR for a spin up and down relatively busy M50.

Didn't have a proper chance to let the car stretch its legs due to the volume of traffic and a rather careful passenger. But I can safely say the performance is adequate and then some more for conditions here. Based what I read I expected the car to have been noisier than our Leaf but was pleasantly surprised here. Didn't try many corners but the directional stability on motorway is absolutely first class and the seats were really comfortable.

I thought the AP handled the drive well once you kept the follow setting up high. It's smoother than ProPilot I found. The engagement time of the lane keeping is instantenious: if you engage it while offset it does put you in the correct position rather quickly. Nissan gives you many seconds before it starts to track the lane. Also the collision avoidance is a bit naggy regarding the cars exiting the motorway when you move on their lane. But overall the AP was really good I find, just noticed those two.

After a good night's sleep and lots of thought and extra reading we now have the LR on order. SR+ was what I thought we would buy if we liked 3 in person, but the extra range and performance and the looming VRT increase of LR made this happen now. I was given June as the expected delivery so rather excited now. I'll try to sell our L40 beforehand as the valuation was low, as expected, but initiated the trade in just in case.

We’ll wear,

Hope you used a referral code to order???

• Advertisement

We’ll wear,

Hope you used a referral code to order???

Thank you. I used a code from a relative alright for that free SuC goodness.

Thanks for the tips! Any recommendations on places that give better valuations in the dublin area?

Could you sell privately? You’ll lose about 25% or more on market value by selling to a motor trader etc.

Could you sell privately? You’ll lose about 25% or more on market value by selling to a motor trader etc.

Since it’s an eNiro, you should have no problem selling. It’s a lot easier to sell an EV than a combustion car. Believe it or not, we hope to be in the market for an eNiro in the future, just not right now. How bad of a valuation was it? Drop me a private message if you want

Does anybody know which battery the latest MIC LRs most likely come with? LG or Panasonic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

So what's the view on Tesla releasing the driver monitoring system with the cabin facing camera? I'm not sure how keen I'd be for Tesla to be able to see what's going on inside my car, even if it's for autopilot or FSD.

I wonder how many new owners will be aware of this. Is it on by default or do you have to activate it yourself?

cannco253 wrote: »
    So what's the view on Tesla releasing the driver monitoring system with the cabin facing camera? I'm not sure how keen I'd be for Tesla to be able to see what's going on inside my car, even if it's for autopilot or FSD.

I wonder how many new owners will be aware of this. Is it on by default or do you have to activate it yourself?

It's coming in the next software update.

They say the video from the internal camera, will not be saved, or uploaded from the car, and will be used to live monitor the driver when autopilot is engaged.

My guess is it will warn you if it sees your eyes closing, or hands off the wheel etc...

sh81722 wrote: »
    Does anybody know which battery the latest MIC LRs most likely come with? LG or Panasonic?
    Mine came yesterday with manufacture date March 31st and it is E5D which should be LG if I'm not mistaken.

The guy from Tesla who delivered the car was actually from the Belfast store called to help with the deliveries because how busy they are. He hinted of a new store opening soon. We chatted about the supercharger here in Sandyford and he mentioned that they have to build of a substation in order to have the required power.

Mine came yesterday with manufacture date March 31st and it is E5D which should be LG if I'm not mistaken.

The guy from Tesla who delivered the car was actually from the Belfast store called to help with the deliveries because how busy they are. He hinted of a new store opening soon. We chatted about the supercharger here in Sandyford and he mentioned that they have to build of a substation in order to have the required power.

Congratulations on your new Tesla! Which interior did you opt for if you don't mind me asking?

Matqo wrote: »
    Congratulations on your new Tesla! Which interior did you opt for if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers. It the black one. I was just replying your wood panel question there. It seems they are bit slanted so nor vertical nor horizontal

• Advertisement

Cheers. It the black one. I was just replying your wood panel question there. It seems they are bit slanted so nor vertical nor horizontal

Thanks for that, would it be too much to ask for a screenshot? 😅

Advertisement