Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Delivery of our car is happening this week. Just had the last drive on the L40 to deliver it to the new owners.

What are the chances the LR will be delivered with mudguards and floor mats? Bought the paint protection film kit anyway and wondering if I should order those other items as well?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

sh81722 wrote: »
    Delivery of our car is happening this week. Just had the last drive on the L40 to deliver it to the new owners.

What are the chances the LR will be delivered with mudguards and floor mats? Bought the paint protection film kit anyway and wondering if I should order those other items as well?

LR comes with floor mats.

all Model 3's now come with mud guards.... now whether they are installed, or in teh boot is another question.....

they come in 2 parts, the mud guard and the bigger splash guard... DO NOT INSTALL the splash guard.... it scrapes teh ground almost constantly and will drive you mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Also, it comes with a USB key for sentry mode, so no need to purchase it yourself. But you could add another USB key if you wanted some Hi Res flac music files.

spotify streaming is pretty low quality, but the TuneIn internet radio stations are ok (KCRW, 8Radio)

all Model 3's now come with mud guards.... now whether they are installed, or in teh boot is another question.....

they come in 2 parts, the mud guard and the bigger splash guard... DO NOT INSTALL the splash guard.... it scrapes teh ground almost constantly and will drive you mad....

bambam wrote: »
    Also, it comes with a USB key for sentry mode, so no need to purchase it yourself. But you could add another USB key if you wanted some Hi Res flac music files.

The Tesla supplied flash drive should be fine for folks to begin with, but long term, I'd be looking for a high endurance micro SD card, or even a SSD.

The Dashcam feature in the Model 3 is fairly crap. if you save a single event, you end up with about 40 individual files (around 10 from each camera), and when all added up, each event could be 5-6 GB!! Same with Sentry mode events.. it saves a lot of files, so the amount of writes & rewrites is huge..... and I couldn't see any flash drive lasting very long in that scenario...

The sentry mode events can rack up fairly quickly depending on where you park.... (busy carpark for a few hours?, you can expect 20-30 Sentry mode events, we parked for 6 days at the Shannon at a boat rental place and I came back to something like 175 sentry events).

I've a 128GB sd card, and usually every few weeks I get a warning that it's getting full (when you save dashcam footage, it won't be overwritten, and I believe its the same with Sentry Mode events).

I also carry a 32GB flash drive as a 'spare' just in case the main one I use randomly stopped working, which it does from time to time (its the car not the card!!).

I'm almost at the point where I'm considering installing a 3rd party dashcam in the car such is the crappyness of the cars own version... (the player is fairly sh1t as well).

now I do also have a 128GB flash drive plugged in which contains my iTunes library, but lately have been listening to Spotify a lot, and particularly the daily playlists it creates for me based on playlists I previously played (classic rock/80's), and I have to say its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

So after 28 days of having the car I got in to drive the kids to school and a warning pops up saying ecal emergency not available. I ignore it and moved on. A minute later an error saying that the same ecalll needs servicing. Noticed that the road visualization disappeared although getting closed to objects would trigger it. At school realized the reverse camera does not work. Fortunately a power off and restart solved the issue. When the car came back online it had an update notification 2021.4.18.2 which seems quite small. Bit scary TBH. I mean would my father try the soft reset and hard resets as a solution to such a glitch? The next appointment available is on 29th. Hmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 EVBS

Hi All. Got my model 3 paint corrected and a ceramic coating yesterday. It's well worth it if its in your budget. Car looks way better than new. Took delivery in March

Here's a few photos (hopefully!)

imgur.com/a/ZLmMHH3

Edit: I'm not allowed post links or pics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nobody charging there except me. It's a 2020 long range performance model 3.

Maybe it's the maximum amount I could have taken on. Not great if I'm going to be relying on public charging. Considering I'm moving further away from there and the nearest charging points are 22kw ones. I'll be sitting there to Christmas!!

A 50 kw charger can only deliver 50 kw an hour. So you maxed it out for 45 minutes.

Going forward or on journeys you could seek out high powered chargers, ionity etc.

As for having the car with no home charge point, you'll go mad!

innrain wrote: »
    So after 28 days of having the car I got in to drive the kids to school and a warning pops up saying ecal emergency not available. I mean would my father try the soft reset and hard resets as a solution to such a glitch? The next appointment available is on 29th. Hmm

Very common error in the early days of ownership.

Soft reset will fix it. press both scroll wheels for a few seconds until teh screen goes blank (you'll lose all audio/visual for a few minutes, but rest assured, things like indicators will still work when the screen is rebooting...)

EVBS wrote: »
    Hi All. Got my model 3 paint corrected and a ceramic coating yesterday. It's well worth it if its in your budget. Car looks way better than new. Took delivery in March

Here's a few photos (hopefully!)

imgur.com/a/ZLmMHH3

Edit: I'm not allowed post links or pics

Here you go...

https://imgur.com/a/ZLmMHH3

Very common error in the early days of ownership.

Soft reset will fix it. press both scroll wheels for a few seconds until teh screen goes blank (you'll lose all audio/visual for a few minutes, but rest assured, things like indicators will still work when the screen is rebooting...)
    I've tried the soft reset but didn't sorted. Only the power off. Still

• Advertisement

make the appointment, and they'll diagnose the car, and decide if a visit to Sandyford is needed, or if they simply need to push an OTA update to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

I got an SOS needs servicing message recently. I just scheduled a service right away. Better safe than sorry.

Sam W wrote: »
    I got an SOS needs servicing message recently. I just scheduled a service right away. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks I'll go ahead and do that but right away is the end of next week.

Thanks I'll go ahead and do that but right away is the end of next week.

Yeah unfortunately they are quite busy these days with all the new deliveries and small snags from the new deliveries.

My error message stayed on my dashboard for more than a week. Then the day before my scheduled appointment, someone triggered the alarm on my car (trying to fit a tyre) and the error message just went away...

I sent it in anyway and they did check the car and told me there's some issues with the antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

That is some craic alright. Although if you did the same thing here I doubt you would get away with a repair bill for ~€1250 (US$1500) from Sandyford.

He says its the 2021 version, yet it has chrome all over it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

cannco253 wrote: »

Yeah ...... what an idiot.. could have just reset the car while driving for the same effect.

Long story short, everything still works.

The car was delivered today with 43 km on the clock as it was driven from Sandyford. All seems perfect and the mud guards were already fitted and floor mats present.

Paint seems good quality and the only issue is slight misalignment of the boot lid front left side. Not going to do anything about that unless something else crops up. Just about ready to take "Antares" out for the first time.

Got insured with my existing insurers chill/zurich but not cheap and took a while to chase it. For cars with full self driving there is apparently a 5k excess. I'll see what the cert says exactly when it arrives next week and will update on the insurance forum.

The car was delivered today with 43 km on the clock as it was driven from Sandyford. All seems perfect and the mud guards were already fitted and floor mats present.

Paint seems good quality and the only issue is slight misalignment of the boot lid front left side. Not going to do anything about that unless something else crops up. Just about ready to take "Antares" out for the first time.

Got insured with my existing insurers chill/zurich but not cheap and took a while to chase it. For cars with full self driving there is apparently a 5k excess. I'll see what the cert says exactly when it arrives next week and will update on the insurance forum.

Well Wear..

You didn't buy FSD when you ordered the car did you?

The trick is to not order it when ordering the car, and then you don't pay VRT on that additional €7,500. And to only order it after you take delivery of the car (all cars come with the hardware, so when you order it, it's just a software unlock that's pinged to the car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

5K excess? that is mental. FSD is basically Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

A huge excess for level 2 autonomous driving, gotta love the irish insurance sector...

I'm with Zurich and I had to write a complaint letter to them to get them to insure my new Tesla. The final price was fair though. Full NCB protection for me and my partner who only got her licence last December, and it only costed me 470 euro. The excess is pretty standard - 250 euro - although I don't have FSD. I don't see why having FSD would give you a significantly higher excess though.

Just plain autopilot on on this, basically similar system to to any number of lane keeping assistants on the market. The folk at chill were all talking about "car driving itself" so I'm hoping for that it's a storm in the teacup. Especially as some other companies actually give you a small discount if your Tesla has "autopilot".

The first trip is now successfully done and it's a fine machine LG batteries and all. We covered 317 km and used about 62% of the battery. About half of this was at 120, the roads were wet and temperatures hovered around 15 degrees so a good result I think.

First impressions of this Tesla virgin are: Ride quite firm at low speeds but also supple and controlled over bumps at speed. It has a nice steering feel (I settled for standard mode) and the drivetrain is amazingly refined and drama-free even on wet. The wave of torque is seemingly endless. I did a couple of launches with an inlaw who's into Ducatis and got the Tesla giggle from him. My wife also drove the car for the first time and commented on that she got used to it after first 2 minutes and now agrees that it's the best decision ever to get the car. The seats I find a bit warm after a while but with a good comfort apart from the driver's lumbar support which feels kind of odd: two separate air chambers I think? The voice commands work pretty well even for bloody foreigners like myself with thick accents. Auto wipers are pretty hopeless and I don't think I'll be using Autopilot a lot: OK, I'm saying it: Nissan ProPilot works more consistenly on a dual carriageway compared to AP. The adaptive cruise worked remarkably well though.

Oh yeah, a special mention for the speakers that are very good and you can enjoy them in a largely noise free environment at any speed. Look forward for more trips soon!

I'm with Zurich and I had to write a complaint letter to them to get them to insure my new Tesla. The final price was fair though. Full NCB protection for me and my partner who only got her licence last December, and it only costed me 470 euro. The excess is pretty standard - 250 euro - although I don't have FSD. I don't see why having FSD would give you a significantly higher excess though.
    My experience with Tesla and insurance: Patience.

Any other dealarships I dealt with before, gave me the reg plate in the day of pick-up. So rush to insure, parking permits, tax all the lot. Tesla sent me the reg more than a week in advance of the delivery day. So I had the time sort out all these. However, the whatever database the insurers use was not updated for more than 5 days. I literally got the logbook from Shannon but they were saying the reg plate is not recognized. Just a reason to treat the car as an "exotic" breed and charge accordingly. So I waited and once cartell recognized the reg I went online and sorted it out at "decent" premium. It is very possible in the time it took for them to analyze the complaint the database updated and they could offer the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

I don't see why having FSD would give you a significantly higher excess though.

From an insurance perspective, the FSD tech is still too new for Irish roads - there’s no way to quantify which roads each manufacturers FSD software will support, or where any disengagement spots might exist on each stretch of road. It’s simply a huge unknown and has a risk rating applied accordingly.
    In other words, a high excess moves the responsibility to the driver, which I think is only fair as they are the one choosing which Irish road to engage FSD on

My experience with Tesla and insurance: Patience.

Any other dealarships I dealt with before, gave me the reg plate in the day of pick-up. So rush to insure, parking permits, tax all the lot. Tesla sent me the reg more than a week in advance of the delivery day. So I had the time sort out all these. However, the whatever database the insurers use was not updated for more than 5 days. I literally got the logbook from Shannon but they were saying the reg plate is not recognized. Just a reason to treat the car as an "exotic" breed and charge accordingly. So I waited and once cartell recognized the reg I went online and sorted it out at "decent" premium. It is very possible in the time it took for them to analyze the complaint the database updated and they could offer the insurance.

My issue with Zurich is that they claim they don't insure Teslas outright. They only do insure them if you have a broker or if you complain to them and their underwriter will have to review the case.

When I asked about insuring a Tesla, it was 3 months before I got the car. They told me in writing that I have to find someone else (and forfeit 11 months' of NCB with my old car).

I just complained to them and their underwriter came back and said they could insure my Tesla for 1 month for 120 euro, which I accepted. They didn't need my car reg for that.

My initial plan was to switch to someone cheaper at the renewal, before I found out their renewal is the cheapest...

sk8board wrote: »
    From an insurance perspective, the FSD tech is still too new for Irish roads - there’s no way to quantify which roads each manufacturers FSD software will support, or where any disengagement spots might exist on each stretch of road. It’s simply a huge unknown and has a risk rating applied accordingly.
    In other words, a high excess moves the responsibility to the driver, which I think is only fair as they are the one choosing which Irish road to engage FSD on

Not sure about others but I did asked around 10 major insurances/brokers and I don't remember being asked by any of them whether my car is capable of FSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Not sure about others but I did asked around 10 major insurances/brokers and I don't remember being asked by any of them whether my car is capable of FSD.

I have FSD and it made absolutely no difference to my insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Anyone have to had the windscreen repaired/replaced?
    Just noticed a decent chip, with 2 cracks coming out from it.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    Anyone have to had the windscreen repaired/replaced?
    Just noticed a decent chip, with 2 cracks coming out from it.

I had a crack last year with my old car and my insurer Zurich just took care of it. I think I just contacted Autoglass and they came to my home to get the windscreen replaced. They then make the claim with Zurich, so I don’t have to contact Zurich at all.

There is an excess of 30 euro to replace the windscreen, and no excess if it can be repaired without replacing it.

Advertisement