Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Card in US Election Thread

Options
  • 13-10-2020 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I would like to dispute a red card I received in the politics forum - US election thread.

The moderator's reasoning for the card, was that I used the nickname "sleepy joe" for US presidential candidate Joe Biden in my post.

I was not aware that this was considered an offensive term, as it is used quite ubiquitously on many threads discussing the US elections - with no action seemingly taken against anyone for its use.

I was also rather shocked to receive a red card, for what would be a first time offence in that forum. This seems to me, to be an example of very heavy handed and somewhat unreasonable moderation. At the very least, I think this should be reduced to a yellow card.

I was not given any on thread warning about the use of nicknames prior to getting this infraction.

I don't really think it even is a yellow tbh, as it seems like a very soft reason to card a first time poster in the thread. But a yellow would certainly be a bit more reasonable than handing out a straight red.

The moderator in question, is ancapailldorcha.

I think they are also a Cmod too, so I would also appreciate if this dispute could be reviewed by a separate Cmod who is unbiased from this issue.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Firstly we do not allow CMods issuing a card or ban to hear a related DRP

It is not clear from your OP if you have attempted to resolve this directly via PM with the mod. Could you confirm you have exhausted this part of the appeal process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Yes, we did attempt a PM exchange. They maintained their decision.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks

I've dropped a note to the CMods alerting them to this appeal

Ok, thanks for that Beasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm going to review this red card. You mentioned you've approached the Moderator via PM. Can you please share the PMs? You can do so by copying the correspondence here or in a PM to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Thanks for the PMs. Please give me a bit of time to review these.

Ok, thanks Dravokivich.

Hi Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The PM's you shared match feedback from the Moderator on what happened. Thanks for being open about it from that perspective as I think sometimes, some people tend to be a bit weary of how they are perceived when it comes to DRPs.

The purpose of the DRP is to focus directly on the event that lead to the infraction. As such I won't be commenting on the post you were responding to, nor to the manner in which similar discussions are presented on other forums here.

Regarding the infraction in question. I'll look into getting this brought down to a Yellow Card as you mentioned in your OP. The Red Card was a bit strong and while reviewing it with the moderator I believe it wasn't their intention to sanction you to that degree when your post was originally reviewed.

Please let me know if this is suitable, or if there's anything else regarding this infraction you wish to pursue?

Hi Dravokivich,

I appreciate yourself and the mod trying to give this a fair assessment.

Yes, I would be prepared to take a yellow and move on if that is considered acceptable by everyone.

Thanks.

Hi Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Thanks, I'm just waiting on feedback to hear the Red has been reset, so I can adjust it to a Yellow.

If you feel like engaging on the Politics forum again, please take a bit of time to look over the charter.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Infraction has been reduced to Yellow, so this can now be resolved.

Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement