Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'mass' in dogs lung.

• 13-10-2020 1:37pm

So my 12 year old springer, he was slowing down a lot lately, I thought it was just his arthritis.......but I mentioned a cough to the vets & now it turns out that he has a 'mass' in his right lung.....we are waiting for results to come back from a sample taken.
    Just wondering if anyone ever heard of this being benign? Or if it is cancer, what has people's experience with it?
    He's in good form apart from his cough & general slowing down. How long would they normally have left .......
    Heartbroken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

We have a cross breed with a mass in his stomach & he has gotten an extra 6 months so far. His is malignant & he is only 11. We are hoping for a bit more time. It is managed with painkillers & he is still eating & happy so far.

Hopefully your guys will be benign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

((((HUGS))))

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

My 11 year old shih tzu went into the vet for a biopsy on a lump on her neck a few months ago - when she was sedated her oxygen levels dropped so they had to abort the biopsy.
    They done an MRI and found a shadow on her lungs, they were unsure if it was cancer, or what so sent it to UCD to be checked, thankfully came back as not cancer.
    She had a cough for 10 months previous which i told the vet about and took videos but they never seemed to be too concerned by it - said just to keep an eye on it.
    They put her on a steroid inhaler to see then would that help - the difference was almost immediate!
    Cough is all but gone, she may cough once a day but prior to that it was easily 10 times a day and he was getting to be a real struggle for her to get the cough up!

Fingers crossed for a good outcome for your guy, it's horrible to see them struggle with the coughing and you can't do anything to help - but i swear, the inhaler has been a god send!

It is one of the most horrible things to face when a pet is in the final stages of its life. Most masses are malignant, but chemotherapy can extend life for a little time in certain cases. My heart goes out to you.

So, he has cancer :(
    A tumour in his lung, I have to talk it through with the vet but I think he is too old for surgery, I wouldn't put him through it.

Does anyone have any idea how long he could have left without any treatments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

bubblypop wrote: »
    A tumour in his lung, I have to talk it through with the vet but I think he is too old for surgery, I wouldn't put him through it.

I’m so sorry to hear that ((hugs))

So sorry to hear this bad news. I wouldn't personally put him through surgery for such a deep tumour, but if chemo is on offer it might buy a little time. Animal chemo doesn't have terrible side effects, but is only effective for certain cancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ahh god so sorry to hear that :(

We lost our Cody to liver cancer in August 2019 - no experience with lung sorry ..

For both humans and canines alike cancer is a horrible cruel disease

Spend as much time as you can with him and do lots of nice things x

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm so so sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

(((HUGS)))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Naturally? As he is older his cancer will grow slower than a younger dog.
    I would guess about 6 months depending on size and progression.
    At some stage the vet is probably going to suggest you work out a balance of "Quality of life" and "pain management".
    Just like a human just try and give him your best everyday. Do all the important things you want to do at the start rather than at the end. Manage expectations and make memories.

Advertisement