Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ireland has the largest proportion of cash transfers as welfare in the EU.

Other countries provide services rather than cash transfers.

One of my favourite examples is child benefit. Other countries provide free schoolbooks, free school meals, proper free education etc. We give cash in the form of child benefit, which can then be drank down the pub, injected in an ally, bet in a betting shop, spent on the skiing holiday in Italy or to buy those tickets to Cheltenham, depending on which part of society you come from, and without going directly to children. Much better to abolish child benefit and replace with direct services.

absolutely this, we need to really remove cash benefits, especially ones that are intended for children or the disabled that, as said, become part of the barmans till far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are you heavily indebted and/or renting?

mildly indebted.

mortgage about 50/50 loan to value. nothing else

But I choose to spend my cash on living in a house. i could rent/buy a cheaper place. In fact I moved to a bigger house last year by choice with my cash . I could choose to sleep under a bridge if I so desired.

I have tax taken off me by force/threat and spend on utter gash it's not the same argument

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some amount of waffle

funnily enough, its my sentiment exactly to

paw patrol wrote: »
    mildly indebted.

mortgage about 50/50 loan to value. nothing else

But I choose to spend my cash on living in a house. i could rent/buy a cheaper place. In fact I moved to a bigger house last year by choice with my cash . I could choose to sleep under a bridge if I so desired.

I have tax taken off me by force/threat and spend on utter gash it's not the same argument

you will find, a larger percentage of your income, since you ve been indebted and renting, have in fact gone towards the 'rentier class' than the welfare class

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why wouldn’t there be something for the average worker? They could have done a small gesture like halving income tax for December, anything at all just to give a small bit back to those who carry this country and get out of bed every morning to go work. Nope nothing for them, but they can piss away half a billion on giving 15k new HAP places next year for the layabouts.

Because its not your grandad handing out pocket money, its they people in charge trying to run the country and balance the books.

Did you not get "a small bit back" last year, or the year before that? Why do you think you should get something every year? Its terribly naive and childish to think this way imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GreeBo wrote: »
    Because its not your grandad handing out pocket money, its they people in charge trying to run the country and balance the books.

Did you not get "a small bit back" last year, or the year before that? Why do you think you should get something every year? Its terribly naive and childish to think this way imo.

and how do you feel about those who have never contributed continually getting something and getting year on year increases on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Workers got nothing back in previous budgets. Inflation, cost of living, rent etc have all made any token reductions in USC meaningless.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Workers got nothing back in previous budgets. Inflation, cost of living, rent etc have all made any token reductions in USC meaningless.

check out the workings of the 'rentier class' for their involvement in these issues, very little to be doing with the welfare class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

check out the workings of the 'rentier class' for their involvement in these issues, very little to be doing with the welfare class!

We all know that is a massive problem... so you don't need to keep dropping it into the thread.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    We all know that is a massive problem... so you don't need to keep dropping it into the thread.

you ll actually find, most dont, and default to the usual scapegoats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so much missinfiormation here, but thats the reality of it...

I live in the country a relative had one for a weekend. The sales person said it could do minimum 80kms on a charge. It was a wet day so lights, wipes and heater was on and it only did 60km. What good is that to someone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

And the real shame is your 05 jeep is probably better than the new one you will have to buy.

Well it stays going. Not sure if it would be as good as a new one though haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

As Eric said above, the people who contribute nothing keep getting more and more thrown at them in successive budgets. The people who go out and work and earn/pay their way get nothing at all, nothing of any visible benefit. No medical cards, no HAP schemes to pay their rent, no free money thrown at them, no free houses given to them - just year after year of being expected to give and give and subsidise all these lovely ideas for the wasters but never get anything back (except more expensive heating bills, motoring costs etc).

Why is it childish to expect that if you work all year around and contribute your fair share to the pot that you would get some small token of thanks for doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The kind of people who put the head down rather than the hand out, who get up early in the morning to grind out some kind of life for themselves and their kids, who tighten their belts and suffer in silence are of no interest to government. Fools and horses get no quangos. Cows to be milked.

The kind of people who put the head down rather than the hand out, who get up early in the morning to grind out some kind of life for themselves and their kids, who tighten their belts and suffer in silence are of no interest to government. Fools and horses get no quangos. Cows to be milked.

...again, rentier class issues, more than welfare class issues!

shocksy wrote: »
    Same sh!te on here every year about the people on the dole who get a Christmas bonus. Big f**king deal. They get an extra €203.00 for Christmas. So many begrudging people on boards.

You can moan about some of them are lifers on the dole bla bla bla, but regardless, they arent living a luxury lifestyle on €203.00 per week for f**ks sake. If you want your free Christmas bonus then go quit your job and see how easy it is to live on that money.

I can guarantee you that you'll be on your knees looking for your job back. Let them have their once a year bonus. I wouldn't begrudge anyone that extra little bit of money at Christmas. It goes back into the economy anyway. Some people need to get a grip on this forum, saying they're fuming and they're livid over it. How are you's not used to it by now. It's tiresome listening to the same whingy moaning posters year in, year out, get over it.

The rest of us go out and work and earn a living and get paid more money for doing that. We're not entitled to a Christmas bonus, cop on to yourselves. We work, we get paid, end of. If you don't wanna work go claim your €203.00 for f**ks sake, so you can have your yearly €203.00 bonus.

However, I'd rather work and have a better wage and not whinge about it, crying that I didn't get anything from the government. There's no income tax increase, that's a bonus in itself for the working man and woman. That's the bonus. Horrible begrudging fools on here.

This kind of nonsense needs shooting down every time

Some people work for their money and nobody pays their way

Some people don't, and the above class is footing their bill. Money that could be spent many other places.

Furthermore, the former group pay full price for housing and medical costs and much more besides, often to the actual detriment of what is available to them once HAP/social housing supports and resources have had their bite of a very limited cherry, and the GP/waiting lists are clogged with medical card holders who can live in the place without any inconvenience or cost to them

So stop with the sh1te that "you should try it sometime, it's not so easy!" (The ****in irony of the reverse pee flynn here is galling)

I don't want to try it

I don't care if it is easy or not

I just don't want to be paying for it, and I furthermore don't want to be at the back of the queue for the other essential services I have to pay for while the cant-do-wont-do crowd sit their picking their arses moaning about how hard they have it

The dole may not be riches, but it's a ****ing great gig per hour. Take your violin and shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I live in the country a relative had one for a weekend. The sales person said it could do minimum 80kms on a charge. It was a wet day so lights, wipes and heater was on and it only did 60km. What good is that to someone ?
    That's funny, my 2016 EV has a 300-350km range these days, and 250-300km worst case in winter.

...again, rentier class issues, more than welfare class issues!

rentier noun

ren·​tier |

Definition
    : a person who lives on income from property or securities

rentier noun

ren·​tier |

Definition
    : a person who lives on income from property or securities

'rent-seeking' then!

I neither seek rent nor live on income from property or securities. You're just babbling now.

• Advertisement

I neither seek rent nor live on income from property or securities. You're just babbling now.

..or are you just babbling, i can do arsehole to, you know!

Ok, go and have another drink and do some arseholes.

Ok, go and have another drink and do some arseholes.

what?

I'm suggesting you may be drunk
    i can do arsehole

Off you go so. Do arsehole.

..or are you just babbling, i can do arsehole to, you know!

Wanderer, you continually come into threads with a fairly one-note message that you try to make fit every topic

The budget discussion here notes that welfare recipients have gotten a nice little earner here from the communal pot we all pay into, while those paying in haven't

Those who pay rent get their housing need met in return. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent is a completely different discussion and if all you are going to do in this thread is shrug, say "macro is complex" and point at a vague rentier class (lookit we can all default to the current twitter Marxism microideology du hour but to what point?) then don't pretend it's a fair attempt at engagement with posters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

'rent-seeking' then!

You are against people acquiring assets and then charging rent on them?

So you are against DVD rental?

You are against mortgages and loans?

I'm suggesting you may be drunk

Off you go so. Do arsehole.

what?
    Wanderer, you continually come into threads with a fairly one-note message that you try to make fit every topic

The budget discussion here notes that welfare recipients have gotten a nice little earner here from the communal pot we all pay into, while those paying in haven't

Those who pay rent get their housing need met in return. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent is a completely different discussion and if all you are going to do in this thread is shrug, say "macro is complex" and point at a vague rentier class (lookit we can all default to the current twitter Marxism microideology du hour but to what point?) then don't pretend it's a fair attempt at engagement with posters

...because macro is complex, it simply cannot be simplified! im more than willing to engage, respectfully, but i can do arsehole to, that world is easy for me to!

You are against people acquiring assets and then charging rent on them?

So you are against DVD rental?

You are against mortgages and loans?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and how do you feel about those who have never contributed continually getting something and getting year on year increases on that...

How do you feel about "insert some other bad thing here"?

If your argument is that someone less off than you got something ergo your hand is now out, then I'm sorry but that isn't going to get you very far.

• Advertisement

I'm not supporting anyone being an arsehole to you, tbf- you're always unfailingly polite!

But nah, "macro is complex" does not handwave away "freebies for non contributors" in a system where:

a. That money comes from contributors
    b. That money is spent chasing the same things contributors also want, causing huge issues for eg workers looking to get decent housing for fair price within their commute range
    c. That money isn't being spent on things we all know need it- infrastructure, health, education

I propose to you that it *is* in fact that simple

Advertisement