Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

enricoh wrote: »
    Yet if you had a poll should the minimum wage be increased, I reckon 90% would say yes.
    It's all linked to prices being charged. Insurance is killing businesses week in week out for the last 10 years, still not sorted by government.
    Esb bills going up again with pso levy rise. It's death by a 1000 cuts- nearly all inflicted by the government.
    Oh i wont argue any of that, a lot of businesses are under enormous pressure. But from lets say a tourist's perspective arriving in Ireland - value for money is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

theguzman wrote: »
    Kerry County Council recently increased the Local Property Charge by 7.5% and now they want to squander over €20m on the South Kerry Greenway, destroying a potentially future viable railway, a cycle track in Ireland's rainiest location that will only deliver a handful of masochistic idiots who think that is a holiday into the hands of the hoteliers to be ripped off by the hoteliers. Meanwhile the locals have to endure a road into the area like something out of the congo which that €20m would upgrade amazingly.

Whilst this is just Kerry it shows just how money is squandered nationally, more money should be invested into the National Broadband Plan to get the fibre rollout moving faster, if the Govt had a health care focus they would just ban tobacco products due to all the deaths and illness they cause.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Carbon tax increases and the waste of money on cycling schemes can go ****, as can the Greens.

4bn extra to the health service - I don't have any faith in the HSE not to utterly waste that and shrug their shoulders again next year at the overcrowding.

No additional support for workers but "de homeless" and those who don't work are having a field day out of this.

And an extra 50c on a packet of fags just to inflate the black market a bit more because they haven't learned the idea of cause/effect yet over the past few years.

Nothing to celebrate here at all so far for the average person.
    Totally agree. Fg are left wing, theyve presided over this **** for years. Socisl housing, social housing! 500,000 euro plus, homes goven away for nothing. No deposit, lpt, management fee, maintance, loan interest. A million euro plus giveaway over a lifetime... after tax! Yet idiots being robbed on housing , still think fg are best suited fpr their beeds lol! Open goal here for any " socially progressive party, that isnt left leaning, like every current option we have ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

enricoh wrote: »
    I can't remember the last budget that rewarded those who work more than those who don't. And they wonder why more n more people want a freebie foreva home!

Must enquire about joining the housing list or getting HAP next year even though I work, what's the point in working your bollix off to pay rents or save for a mortgage? Plenty of money being ****ed at it for next year anyway so there shouldn't be any problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Well no raises to any income tax band..so
    I'm keeping an eye out for employer PRSI...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I have a raging budget stiffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

flintash wrote: »
    half a billion to build 10k houses? thats half a million for a council house, basically. its unreal!
    its 50000 a house unless my maths is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah and as a worker i won't be eligible for one.

Why would you be ? If youre on 40-50k in dublin, youre far too wealthy to qualify, lol! You just pay for others to get it for free, no hope of owning yourself...

And an extra 50c on a packet of fags just to inflate the black market a bit more because they haven't learned the idea of cause/effect yet over the past few years.

My last year of smoking in Ireland was 2009. I don't think I bought a single packet in Ireland that year.

Not the full on black market but if a friend was going abroad I'd ask them to bring a couple of cartons. When i went on holiday I'd bring back 3 cartons, and my girlfriend who didn't smoke would bring 3 too.

I assume most smokers do this now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Carbon tax increases and the waste of money on cycling schemes can go ****, as can the Greens.

4bn extra to the health service - I don't have any faith in the HSE not to utterly waste that and shrug their shoulders again next year at the overcrowding.

No additional support for workers but "de homeless" and those who don't work are having a field day out of this.

A lot to despair about if you're the average person.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

half a billion to build 10k houses? thats half a million for a council house, basically. its unreal!
    That's absolutely insane. They're so transparent.

Plus only 7k of the 21k they were going to build this year actually delivered. That's up on their missed target from last year in spite of the pandemic and all. But still absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's your choice to live that far from work, that is utter madness and this is the kind of lifestyle and car reliance we need to stamp out.
    Cycling may not suit you but it sure does many others. How many billions have been spent on bypasses and motorways over the years, a relative pittance is thrown at cycling and people are up in arms.
    no road tax/motor tax = no opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

We must be the most expensive country to own and operate a car in Europe if not the world. I've seen many immigrants here say similar.

Green party clowns just want to tax the average Joe into poverty. Average paid workers can not afford Electric cars or new models. So of course tax the older car owners and petrol diesel out of existence. Our public transport is shambolic most counties North of Dublin don't even have a Train service!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Lads 500m divided by 10,000 houses is not 500k a house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

PommieBast wrote: »
    I'm keeping an eye out for employer PRSI...

Small increase from 394 to 398 for the higher ban. Paschal announced it in his speech

My last year of smoking in Ireland was 2009. I don't think I bought a single packet in Ireland that year.

Not the full on black market but if a friend was going abroad I'd ask them to bring a couple of cartons. When i went on holiday I'd bring back 3 cartons, and my girlfriend who didn't smoke would bring 3 too.

I assume most smokers do this now.

A 30g pouch of rolling tobacco in the shop costs nearly 20e at the moment, a 50g pouch on the black market costs 10e (and it's genuine tobacco not the "sawdust" stuff they make all illegal stuff out to be). They won't realise what they are doing until the arse falls out of tobacco sales here and they see the gaping hole it leaves in the finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We must be the most expensive country to own and operate a car in Europe if not the world. I've seen many immigrants here say similar.

Green party clowns just want to tax the average Joe into poverty. Average paid workers can not afford Electric cars or new models. So of course tax the older car owners and petrol diesel out of existence. Our public transport is shambolic most counties North of Dublin don't even have a Train service!

What part of FG signing us up to the Paris agreement and not the Greens do people not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    its 50000 a house unless my maths is wrong

Correct...just did the maths....on the calculator app on my laptop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No it isn't it is 100k...

1,000,000,000 divided by 10,000

- We are both wrong I thought it was a billion
    50k per house... bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

What part of FG signing us up to the Paris agreement and not the Greens do people not understand?

Nonetheless the average person cannot purchase an electric car now at the current prices, even home charging installation costs over €900 to purchase let alone install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gmisk wrote: »

1000000000 divided by 10000

HALF a billion, not a billion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

its half a billion 500,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It is actually 50k as half a bilion is 500,000,000 /10000 = 50,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

It's your choice to live that far from work, that is utter madness and this is the kind of lifestyle and car reliance we need to stamp out.
    Cycling may not suit you but it sure does many others. How many billions have been spent on bypasses and motorways over the years, a relative pittance is thrown at cycling and people are up in arms.
    You have a very narrow Dublin centric view of cycling and transport in Ireland. I have a bike, to cycle on most main roads around here is playing Russian roulette.

Stamp out car reliance replaced with what? Vast majority don't all live in South Dublin with everything on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

People with kids? People with disabilities? How come all cyclists seem to be so ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

joeguevara wrote: »
    It is actually 50k as half a bilion is 500,000,000 /10000 = 50,000
    Mea culpa I thought it was a billion.

50k per house...I will take a few thanks!

You have a very narrow Dublin centric view of cycling and transport in Ireland. I have a bike, to cycle on most main roads around here is playing Russian roulette.

Stamp out car reliance replaced with what? Vast majority don't all live in South Dublin with everything on our doorstep.

Sure it's your own fault you don't live in Dublin or a city according to that poster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1000000000 divided by 10000

More money needed for education clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No but we could plan our towns and villages better, end one offs, ribbon development, provide better public transport, all would lead to less car reliance.
    None of the above will ever happen of course, car is king in this country and you fools just keep paying a fortune to keep one on the road no matter how much more difficult the Gov keep making it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

bazermc wrote: »
    God McGrath is going on and on. Anybody would think he is the Minister for Finance

You'd almost miss him now that Pearse has the floor.

Advertisement