Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Why is this bellend shouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,095 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Witcher wrote: »
    More money needed for education clearly.
    In fairness I thought it was a billion, I should get a mark for my working out! :)

It also seems to be 9500 units for 500 million...
    So 52,631.58 euro per unit

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

God pearse is annoying personally vacum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Why is this bellend shouting?

I have him on mute, he goes through my brain. Typical Sinn Fein, never happy and can't understand why the government isn't using the magic money tree they know about that nobody else does. I think they've wasted enough money for one year..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

What part of FG signing us up to the Paris agreement and not the Greens do people not understand?
    The Greens push for and support these taxes.

I'm not surprised you're a Green. Country begins and ends in the Pale to ye. Do you even have a car at all? Sure why would you need one with everything on your doorstep and public transport all around you.

Not surprised you cheer these taxes. The narrow minded selfish stuff we routinely see from Green bike brigade.

• Advertisement

You'd almost miss him now that Pearse has the floor.
    Rte went to a break lol

After that there is really very little point in me doing one of those budget calculators...
    I am lucky I don't drive or smoke I suppose.

Remember when they said they were going to phase out the USC in 5 budgets? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You'd almost miss him now that Pearse has the floor.

let the hyper populism commence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's your choice to live that far from work, that is utter madness and this is the kind of lifestyle and car reliance we need to stamp out.
    Cycling may not suit you but it sure does many others. How many billions have been spent on bypasses and motorways over the years, a relative pittance is thrown at cycling and people are up in arms.
    It's not "my choice", it's a function of the housing market, we couldnt afford to live in Dublin anymore so moved out in 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

No but we could plan our towns and villages better, end one offs, ribbon development, provide better public transport, all would lead to less car reliance.
    None of the above will ever happen of course, car is king in this country and you fools just keep paying a fortune to keep one on the road no matter how much more difficult the Gov keep making it.
    So anyone who owns a car in Ireland is a fool? No reason at all 90% need one. This is the arrogance of the green bike mob that puts people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Greens push for and support these taxes.

I'm not surprised you're a Green. Country begins and ends in the Pale to ye. Do you even have a car at all? Sure why would you need one with everything on your doorstep and public transport all around you.

Not surprised you cheer these taxes. The narrow minded selfish stuff we routinely see from Green bike brigade.

But FG signed up for them in the first place and have far more sway in the Dail than the Greens. You just hate the Greens and want to blame them solely for these taxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

And I thought the government wanted to stop house parties.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1316005748443316224

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pearse Doherty is so dull and humorless its just political theater, its like some sort of well-reheresed dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have him on mute, he goes through my brain. Typical Sinn Fein, never happy and can't understand why the government isn't using the magic money tree they know about that nobody else does. I think they've wasted enough money for one year..

Laughable. Fg voters are the money tree that they fg themselves use to fund free luxury housing and one of the worrlds most generous welfate states, paid for a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent over 34,000, true elite status there...

These people would never vote fg, yet they are still too cowardly to reward the working poor, its laughable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Some of you should do more economics reading. Even listen to a Dave Mcwilliams lecture ffs.

Whole efforts have been paid using long term debt. Debt that the public barely noticed

Dont
    Sweat
    The
    Debt

Also, I work a zero hour contract. Even am happy about todays budget. Working for **** money in a dead end job. Who cares. The head of the IMF came out and said austerity is done with. Printing presses are fired up. Interest rates are low and going down and down. No risk of inflation. What would be the alternative in a once in a generation event?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is so dull and humorless its just political theater, its like some sort of well-reheresed dance.
    I don't disagree but I think he is actually really intelligent and has done a lot of good work.
    So much so other political parties tend to knick them...

He brought up insurance reform legislation about 2 years ago....which was blocked...by among others Leo Varadkar.

Leo Varadkar now wants to as per a video bring in insurance reform...about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is this yet another budget where those who contribute least get the most?

Working and owning a car has become be a very serious crime in this country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Working and owning a car has become be a very serious crime in this country too.

Yup to all unfortunately.
    Thought you lived in the occupied 6?

Some of you should do more economics reading. Even listen to a Dave Mcwilliams lecture ffs.

Whole efforts have been paid using long term debt. Debt that the public barely noticed

Dont
    Sweat
    The
    Debt

Also, I work a zero hour contract. Even am happy about todays budget. Working for **** money in a dead end job. Who cares. The head of the IMF came out and said austerity is done with. Printing presses are fired up. Interest rates are low and going down and down. No risk of inflation. What would be the alternative in a once in a generation event?
    Dear god don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,316 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The usual pandering to the "downtrodden.'

ELM327 wrote: »

Dear god don't.

OK listen to Mark Blyth

The thing is we don't know. This experiment might fail horrendously but what's the alternative if we don't act now. The Nazis? EUROPE cannot afford Austerity. The stakes are high. The EU would crumble. It would be disastrous. To quote Draghi, we must do whatever it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nope. North Louth. ( Border country / Bandit country).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The business support scheme. €5k/week based on 2019 turnover. Really could do with more detail as I had to tune out for a company call..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

We must be the most expensive country to own and operate a car in Europe if not the world. I've seen many immigrants here say similar.

Green party clowns just want to tax the average Joe into poverty. Average paid workers can not afford Electric cars or new models. So of course tax the older car owners and petrol diesel out of existence. Our public transport is shambolic most counties North of Dublin don't even have a Train service!

I heard Michael McGrath mention that he didn't raise carbon tax as a money grab.

I got a laugh from that if little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Getting the feeling that the budget while helping out many in fairness (apart from car owners and smokers) was framed to take the wind out of the opposition (SF and the others with big negative mouths) sails.

What would SF do differently now I wonder. Time for change!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Cant wait for them to announce raising the lower rate income tax bracket to 50k like they promised at election time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Did tabbaco go up??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I heard Michael McGrath mention that he didn't raise carbon tax as a money grab.

I got a laugh from that if little else.

The carbon tax increase is being spent directly on retrofitting and fuel allowance. Hence there is no additional revenue raised from it.

Surprised you weren't able to comprehend that, it's not very complicated financial maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Cant wait for them to announce raising the lower rate income tax bracket to 50k like they promised at election time :rolleyes:

Not a fcuking hope in hell of that happening, even pre COVID, its all about the "most vulnerable".

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

cycling is not transport though.

Special one.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know what people wanted out of that budget? Do you want strict fiscal discipline in a global pandemic with millions squeezed already? National economies aren't households budgets. There is no morality to this. You do what it takes to prevent catastrophe. 2008 gave the powers that be a life support machine; two rounds of austerity in a decade would end with blood on the streets.

If you hate work as much as you seem to and think the unemployed have it made then go join them

Advertisement