Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

Did tabbaco go up??

50c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

50c

On the 30g pack? That's not to bad.
    Still, I should give up

On the 30g pack? That's not to bad.
    Still, I should give up

My partner is 7 years free of the smokes, in the beginning she was up the walls but the sight of the cash she was putting into a jar every day was a serious wake up call to her even after just 10 days and a serious motivator to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'd love to know what people wanted out of that budget?

In this forum they want the dole reduced to 1 euro a week, no social house ever to be built again, no extra money for health, no green policies.
    They want to live in America under Trump I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

Could be much worse, I expected much worse tbh.
    At least we haven't been told about the picture not being cheerful and our living being beyond our means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We have to be the biggest welfare state in the world

Workers mugged and we just shrug our shoulders and get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In this forum they want the dole reduced to 1 euro a week after 2 years of claiming, no social house ever to be built again, no extra money for health, no green policies.

Yup, I agree with all the above

It would probably be cheaper to just give a UBI to everyone at this point and remove all social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ELM327 wrote: »
    It would probably be cheaper to just give a UBI to everyone at this point and remove all social welfare.
    In this forum they want the dole reduced to 1 euro a week after 2 years of claiming, no social house ever to be built again, no extra money for health, no green policies.
    Yup, I agree with all the above

FREE STDS FOR ALL

FREE COVID FOR ALL

I love trump

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

What kills me is that its not just a €1.50 hike to every car fill up because I have to earn much more than that to pay for it with income tax and USC, same for every extra charge they introduce.

• Advertisement

FREE STDS FOR ALL

FREE COVID FOR ALL

I love trump
    UBI =/= STD

UBI = Universal Basic Income

What kills me is that its not just a €1.50 hike to every car fill up because I have to earn much more than that to pay for it with income tax and USC, same for every extra charge they introduce.

It's a 1.50 net, so 3.00+ in gross! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I love how you use the term welfare state as if it's a negative. A welfare state is a good thing. I'd forward you to the book 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism. Welfare states actually promote economic dynamism. Everything in moderation. I think we do a decent enough job.

I don't know about you but I value self actualisation. A life of not working doesnt appeal to me. I say that as someone on a zero hour contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

A bad budget for working people with kids who try to provide for themselves. Inflation is badly wearing away at the child allowance and tax bands to mean they are 2-3% lower in real terms than 12 months ago.

I love how you use the term welfare state as if it's a negative. A welfare state is a good thing. I'd forward you to the book 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism. Welfare states actually promote economic dynamism. Everything in moderation. I think we do a decent enough job.

I don't know about you but I value self actualisation. A life of not working doesnt appeal to me. I say that as someone on a zero hour contract.
    Ok Komrade. Steer clear of reaktor 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Surely in a welfare state a working person wouldn't need private health insurance and a private pension?
    Because that's what the government keep telling me I need even though I pay lots of direct and indirect tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Some of you should do more economics reading. Even listen to a Dave Mcwilliams lecture ffs.

Whole efforts have been paid using long term debt. Debt that the public barely noticed

Dont
    Sweat
    The
    Debt

Also, I work a zero hour contract. Even am happy about todays budget. Working for **** money in a dead end job. Who cares. The head of the IMF came out and said austerity is done with. Printing presses are fired up. Interest rates are low and going down and down. No risk of inflation. What would be the alternative in a once in a generation event?

McWilliams is the biggest spoofer going. Another D4 grifter, Irish media is full of them.

Printing presses are fired up. Interest rates are low and going down and down. No risk of inflation
    There is no risk of inflation when they fire up the presses.
    It's a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Cordell wrote: »
    It's a certainty.

Dont think it happened with QE. 20 trillion printed and inflation didn't transpire

Not my own first hand research, just what I have seen and read

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

AlanG wrote: »
    A bad budget for working people with kids who try to provide for themselves. Inflation is badly wearing away at the child allowance and tax bands to mean they are 2-3% lower in real terms than 12 months ago.

ah but at least the junkie scrotes will now get a free house, and an extra bag of smack at christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I love how you use the term welfare state as if it's a negative. A welfare state is a good thing.

Your username is only a few letters away from completeidiot. :D

Seriously though, a welfare state isn't a good thing. Welfare should be there as a safety net and not a career choice.

And if it's a welfare state, who pays for those on welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its draining at this stage . Every year billions set aside for people who dont get off their hole

If you were leaving school now youd be mad to want to work . Unless it was a high paid job

More chance of a house and disposable income not working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Dont think it happened with QE. 20 trillion printed and inflation didn't transpire

Have you not seen house prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In this forum they want the dole reduced to 1 euro a week, no social house ever to be built again, no extra money for health, no green policies.

no, no! I just dont want to live in the other extreme, which we have here. When I would chat to americans over in the US, I'd be deemed left leaning, in Ireland, I am the far right! :rolleyes:

In the years between the last recession and the pandemic the QE was happening along with some healthy economic growth and yet we still had inflation in the Euro zone. What do you think will happen now, when most if not all of the Euro zone is heading into recession again? More money printed but backed by less products and services, that's all the ingredients you need for inflation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

AlanG wrote: »

I think you're overestimating the rate of inflation.

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/prices/consumerpriceindex/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

McWilliams is the biggest spoofer going. Another D4 grifter, Irish media is full of them.

Really! 'A member of Trinity College, Dublin business school.[1] McWilliams initially worked as an economist with the Central Bank of Ireland, UBS bank and the Banque Nationale de Paris'

Some spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I'd love to know what people wanted out of that budget? Do you want strict fiscal discipline in a global pandemic with millions squeezed already? National economies aren't households budgets. There is no morality to this. You do what it takes to prevent catastrophe. 2008 gave the powers that be a life support machine; two rounds of austerity in a decade would end with blood on the streets.

If you hate work as much as you seem to and think the unemployed have it made then go join them

Not quite.

I wanted a flat car tax base rate of say 200 euro for all cars and then additional fuel charge so that usage comes into the equation and electric cars are still incentivised by not paying at the pumps.

I wanted unemployment pot to be reduced overall with a significant increased allocation for the first three months (up to 400 per week based on earnings prior) of unemployment and a sliding scale down to say ca. 130 per week for those unemployed for longer than 18 months. We need to force the incentive to work but support those in the short term who are actively looking.

I wanted the lower rate band to be increased by 5% to further incentivise lower paid work, funded by the reduction in overall unemployment benefit.

I wanted long term loan schemes with zero percent interest for entrepreneurs looking to start business, to incentivise creation of commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This budget does fa for most as far as I can see. Bigger fuel bills though. Move along nothing to see here. A waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Cordell wrote: »
    It's a certainty.

Won't a shortage of money in circulation as a result of covid restrictions leave us more at risk of deflation?

Advertisement