Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,763 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone want to put up a quick summary please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

ELM327 wrote: »
    It would probably be cheaper to just give a UBI to everyone at this point and remove all social welfare.
    UBI only makes financial sense if it is also coupled with a mass clear-out of administrative civil servants. However pretty much everyone pushing for the former would not do the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭eggy81

It's your choice to live that far from work, that is utter madness and this is the kind of lifestyle and car reliance we need to stamp out.
    Cycling may not suit you but it sure does many others. How many billions have been spent on bypasses and motorways over the years, a relative pittance is thrown at cycling and people are up in arms.
    Hmm. So move the whole commuter belt to Dublin?

€2.4bn to support an additional 15k HAP tenants, literally pissing money away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

saabsaab wrote: »
    Really! 'A member of Trinity College, Dublin business school.[1] McWilliams initially worked as an economist with the Central Bank of Ireland, UBS bank and the Banque Nationale de Paris'

Some spoofer.
    I never said he wasn't educated or about his career.

If you read any of his thousands of columns in the Irish Times etc, appearances on RTE you'd understand. The Eddie Hobbs of economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

€2.4bn to support an additional 15k HAP tenants, literally pissing money away

I disagree. Maybe some of the people who get one of these house can not an never would be able to afford there own house as life has not been so good to them but they might be able to benefit the economy by buying what is needed for the house the small things like appliances, beds, wardrobes, furniture, sheds and maybe even a lawnmower etc so it still benefits the economy. That is unless of course you would prefer they be homeless.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

9,500 social housing units in 2021. lol. Why not just go balls out and say 10,000,000 while we're telling lies. A few pence for affordable housing. More subsidies for those who can already afford housing. Nice one lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'I wanted a flat car tax base rate of say 200 euro for all cars and then additional fuel charge so that usage comes into the equation and electric cars are still incentivised by not paying at the pumps.'

+1 on above would be much simpler smarter and greener than messing about with 4 car tax systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

9,500 social housing units in 2021. lol. Why not just go balls out and say 10,000,000 while we're telling lies. A few pence for affordable housing. More subsidies for those who can already afford housing. Nice one lads.

Their numbers do sound fishy . If there was 7500 social units built this year . Surely the number of 'homeless' people would be a lot lower than the 10k that's peddaled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Pascal said he's upping the carbon tax to align with commitments made in the Paris agreement that FG signed us up for. Why the f*ck is everyone on the internet blaming the Greens for this?

They are a willing scapegoat and insurance policy for FG in case it all blows up with the electorate. The carbon tax is to pay for new debt(decarbonisation), that's why you see the councils going mad on cycle paths, in politically correct terms "greenways" is the buzzword.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Just me or is Colette Fitzpatrick on VM news asking Pascal the most inane questions ever?

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. Maybe some of the people who get one of these house can not an never would be able to afford there own house as life has not been so good to them but they might be able to benefit the economy by buying what is needed for the house the small things like appliances, beds, wardrobes, furniture, sheds and maybe even a lawnmower etc so it still benefits the economy. That is unless of course you would prefer they be homeless.

Your confusing HAP payments with social housing I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

It seems everyone but the working man/woman got something in this budget. PUP bonus, fuel allowance increase, HAP investment, €250 for students, VAT decrease for businesses, etc.

The working man/woman? Higher fuel bills.

I'm all for looking after the poor but this is taking the piss. No balance whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lundstram wrote: »
    It seems everyone but the working man/woman got something in this budget. PUP bonus, fuel allowance increase, HAP investment, €250 for students, VAT decrease for businesses, etc.

The working man/woman? Higher fuel bills.

I'm all for looking after the poor but this is taking the piss. No balance whatsoever.

Welcome to modern society. Try to worry about yourself and have perspective. A functioning society requires this sacrifice. Be thankful you have a brain, motivation, character and the skills to work. Financially maybe it sucks but in other ways it's a lot better. It might have made you desirable to your wife or partner/helped finding meaning. Far away fields are green.

Their numbers do sound fishy . If there was 7500 social units built this year . Surely the number of 'homeless' people would be a lot lower than the 10k that's peddaled

Lots of asylum seekers being brought into Ireland need homes.

Also look at the Citizenship ceromonies, we are growing as a, country, not just the homeless to house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    its 50000 a house unless my maths is wrong

Afaik a billion is a thousand million so the amount is 500 million. Public housing house building costs yield about 4 or 5 houses per million but in cases as low as 2 or 3.
    So the numbers are max 2,500.
    Correct me if Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

How are cycling schemes a waste of money? isnt transport important in a well run country?

Nobody uses bikes as a means of transport, Its a hobby for lycra fetishists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Theres no chance they will even reach 5000 social units.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I see that public spending to be increased by 17.4 B. a fair bit of money no doubt. Will it be enough?

How long is a ball of string mate?!?

PommieBast wrote: »
    UBI only makes financial sense if it is also coupled with a mass clear-out of administrative civil servants. However pretty much everyone pushing for the former would not do the latter.

Just stop hiring/promoting, and run a few rounds of voluntary early redundancies. All the admin staff would be gone in 5 years.

Use the savings to plug the UBI gap. Or something to that effect.

• Advertisement

Carbon tax increases and the waste of money on cycling schemes can go ****, as can the Greens.

4bn extra to the health service - I don't have any faith in the HSE not to utterly waste that and shrug their shoulders again next year at the overcrowding.

No additional support for workers but "de homeless" and those who don't work are having a field day out of this.

And an extra 50c on a packet of fags just to inflate the black market a bit more because they haven't learned the idea of cause/effect yet over the past few years.

Nothing to celebrate here at all so far for the average person.

Whos an average person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Steve012 wrote: »
    Whos an average person?

I think its "people who get up early in the morning"

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Green party clowns just want to tax the average Joe into poverty. Average paid workers can not afford Electric cars or new models. So of course tax the older car owners and petrol diesel out of existence. Our public transport is shambolic most counties North of Dublin don't even have a Train service!

My diesel car is 12 years old and I bet I have screwed up the environment a hell of a lot less than the environmentally friendly clowns going round in the latest Leafs or Ioniqs.

One would swear all that plastic and all those batteries magically materialised out the ars* of a Greta Thunberg.
    You have a very narrow Dublin centric view of cycling and transport in Ireland. I have a bike, to cycle on most main roads around here is playing Russian roulette.

Stamp out car reliance replaced with what? Vast majority don't all live in South Dublin with everything on our doorstep.

And a lot of the bicyclers in South Dublin don't ever cycle to work, but decide to cycle out around Wicklow of a weekend holding everyone up.

Most of those bike to work scheme purchases were a fooking joke.
    Buying a mountain bike or a fancy racer and the lycra for the weekend subsidised by the taxpayer.
    No but we could plan our towns and villages better, end one offs, ribbon development, provide better public transport, all would lead to less car reliance.
    None of the above will ever happen of course, car is king in this country and you fools just keep paying a fortune to keep one on the road no matter how much more difficult the Gov keep making it.

And how the fook do you get from those villages and town to places that has jobs and employment ?
    Oh wait that mindfart idea from the green leader of car sharing perhaps. :rolleyes:
    But FG signed up for them in the first place and have far more sway in the Dail than the Greens. You just hate the Greens and want to blame them solely for these taxes.

And FG and ff and Lab and even the shinners would all forget about it and use Covid as excuse not to raise any carbon taxes but for the eejits in the greens been in power.
    Amirani wrote: »
    The carbon tax increase is being spent directly on retrofitting and fuel allowance. Hence there is no additional revenue raised from it.

Surprised you weren't able to comprehend that, it's not very complicated financial maths.

Just saw a pig flying by the window. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

To be honest, I'm still fuming that the long-term unemployed (perpetual dole) are after getting the Christmas bonus. These same people sat at home, berating Keeling's for bringing in strawberry pickers while not applying for jobs when Tesco, Dunnes etc. were crying out for additional workers.

In general, I do not believe anyone on welfare should get a Christmas bonus, but understand the PUP people getting it (for this year at least). If you have been unemployed more that 24 months you should be cut off all welfare, not getting bonuses for doing nothing!

Whos an average person?

Sounds like a smoking non cycling car driver? Who believes they won't need the HSE services.

So people who get up in the morning are average Excellent answer thanks mate, I had no idea, disabled bodied people get up early in the morning, so does my Ma.

Cheers for the explanation

Sounds like a smoking non cycling car driver? Who believes they won't need the HSE services.

Motorbike actually son, who works in the HSE, .... g*b****e I work for the NAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They are a willing scapegoat and insurance policy for FG in case it all blows up with the electorate. The carbon tax is to pay for new debt(decarbonisation), that's why you see the councils going mad on cycle paths, in politically correct terms "greenways" is the buzzword.

Greenways aren't that green, if you're expected to drive to them with your push bikes on the back of your car. The ones promoted by Bord Failte are more leisure facility than infrastructure.

Motorbike actually son, who works in the HSE, .... g*b****e I work for the NAS.

I meant the so called 'average person' the other poster was referring to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nobody uses bikes as a means of transport, Its a hobby for lycra fetishists

Not true.
    I'd love to be able to cycle to work

Advertisement