Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As expected they are hitting those of us who are car owners.

The Greens had a hand in that, hopefully voters will remember it when the next GE comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not true.
    I'd love to be able to cycle to work

Trolling I'd say. Not you but RV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Nobody uses bikes as a means of transport, Its a hobby for lycra fetishists

It's a pure "I've never seen Ireland outside of Dublin" POV. Best of luck to anyone cycling in Cork or Waterford city in particular. You would want legs and a drug supply like Lance Armstrong to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nobody uses bikes as a means of transport, Its a hobby for lycra fetishists

What about people that cycle to work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lots of asylum seekers being brought into Ireland need homes.

Also look at the Citizenship ceromonies, we are growing as a, country, not just the homeless to house.

Doctors and Engineers can buy their own houses?

• Advertisement

The Greens had a hand in that, hopefully voters will remember it when the next GE comes around.

What hit? Prices at the pump have fallen by c 30c in the last 9 months. You have a 5c difference in prices as it is depending where you buy fuel.

Will they remember that Pascal said the carbon taxes were hiked today in order to honour the agreement FG signed up for? If you're anti carbon taxes surely FG should be the receiver of your ire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

saabsaab wrote: »
    I meant the so called 'average person' the other poster was referring to!

You know full well what I meant by that so don’t play stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

€21 billion deficit added to greater than €200 billion existing debt. €5.2 billion in interest servicing the debt and €5 billion paid in environmental tax to the government.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm a car owner but don't feel "hit". They're fairly insignificant increases and worth it for the environmental benefits. Growth of SUVs has completely offset improvements in engine efficiency, they need to be discouraged.

Maybe you should drive less if you can't afford it, sounds like it's having a big impact on you.

• Advertisement

You know full well what I meant by that so don’t play stupid.

I don't actually. Enlighten me?

Steve012 wrote: »
    Motorbike actually son, who works in the HSE, .... g*b****e I work for the NAS.

So do lots of people, it's the biggest employer in the State. So you are actually the average (mode) person as it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

theguzman wrote: »
    I had a wonderful staycation in Northern Ireland, I got fantastic value on hotels paying no more than €90 per night for a €200 similarly priced hotel in the RoI. I ate out one evening and was shocked to find my bill was £12.50 or half price under the UK dine-out to help out scheme, the UK subsidy went straight into my pocket not some millionaire FF linked hotelier. I found Belfast and Derry to be two great cities and affordable for me without the ripoff of Dublin or Kerry prices. After the sort of charging I witnessed in Ireland this year I opted for Northern Ireland instead and Ireland has also lost my Wedding for 2021 also due to their ripoff culture. I hope we see plenty hotels, restaurants and pubs close around the country because it is nothing less than they deserve in how they have been ripping off the public for far too long. Irish logic: Customer numbers drop, double prices, when you should drop prices to win customers.

"I hope we see plenty hotels, restaurants and pubs close around the country because it is nothing less than they deserve" = 13 thanks ffs

What hit? Prices at the pump have fallen by c 30c in the last 9 months. You have a 5c difference in prices as it is depending where you buy fuel.

Motor tax going up as well

Kasey_Don wrote: »
    Yeah he should park his car 10 miles away from work and then cycle the rest, that'd save about 20 miles a day and only add on a few hours a week to his 12 hour weekly commute.

You're definitely a green voter anyways when you're detached from reality.

If the measures announced today mean you can't afford to drive an extra 10 miles to work then you should maybe re-evaluate some of your life choices.

Will they remember that Pascal said the carbon taxes were hiked today in order to honour the agreement FG signed up for? If you're anti carbon taxes surely FG should be the receiver of your ire.

They did but the Greens were the ones pushing for more severe carbon taxes.

Yeah he should park his car 10 miles away from work and then cycle the rest, that'd save about 20 miles a day and only add on a few hours a week to his 12 hour weekly commute.

You're definitely a green voter anyways when you're detached from reality.

Some people park out of town and finish the journey by bike, in dublin anyway, to avoid traffic and parking fees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He's right.

I went for a meal the other week, 80 euro for 2 mains and drinks of water.

Absolute rip off!

Did ye read the menu before you ordered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I don't actually. Enlighten me?

Go enlighten yourself, what class of people got **** all but a kick in the balls from that budget?

Amirani wrote: »
    I'm a car owner but don't feel "hit". They're fairly insignificant increases and worth it for the environmental benefits. Growth of SUVs has completely offset improvements in engine efficiency, they need to be discouraged.

Maybe you should drive less if you can't afford it, sounds like it's having a big impact on you.

Well I need a car to get to my job, maybe when your a bit older you might realise that many people have to commute to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

9/10 SUVs on the road are SUVs only in name, in everything else they are no larger than Passats and usually lighter in both weight and fuel consumption.

Go enlighten yourself, what class of people got **** all but a kick in the balls from that budget?

Most people left alone many of those who needed support got some. Who got a kick in the *****?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Reading this thread , gotta laugh at all the tears !!

Tears from people who voted FF / FG / Greens ( aka the " Back to the Stone age Party " ) .

Just so as the " Bad Shinners" can't be let into government .

So happy for all the pain, that will be inflicted on these " blinkered voters " .

You reap what you sow .

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Reading this thread , gotta laugh at all the tears !!

Tears from people who voted FF / FG / Greens ( aka the " Back to the Stone age Party " ) .

Just so as the " Bad Shinners" can't be let into government .

So happy for all the pain, that will be inflicted on these " blinkered voters " .

You reap what you sow .

You're right in a way we get who we vote for but we are in a pandemic still and this is a relatively no pain budget due to borrowing. An extra 17.4B! being spent but you can argue what could have been done better.

Apart from petrol still being cheaper than last year why do people think this budget is harsh?

Nice budget for welfare recipients

Not much for the workers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

elefant wrote: »
    Won't a shortage of money in circulation as a result of covid restrictions leave us more at risk of deflation?

I don't think so. The problem we're facing is a reduction of products and services due to restrictions and slow demand. The solution is to drive demand back, so the VAT drop makes sense, and try to balance restrictions and keeping the economy going.
    Now, we will have inflation because the alternative is worse, but we can't pretend that it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apart from petrol still being cheaper than last year why do people think this budget is harsh?

What good was it to the working man who gets up early to go to work?
    You know that man who Leo championed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

They have 10,000 social houses coming for them.

After all were told the majority of them work.

So yeah Leo stuck to his word.

• Advertisement

I guess I just didn't expect my life to change in any way from today's budget

Advertisement