Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They have 10,000 social houses coming for them.

After all were told the majority of them work.

So yeah Leo stuck to his word.

Live horse and you’ll get grass.

I guess I just didn't expect my life to change in any way from today's budget

You won’t be disappointed so.
    Wouldn’t it be lovely to get a Christmas Box. Imagine a working man getting one week with his income tax halved. Just for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Two areas most talked about during lockdown: nurses/doctors etc. (clap for healthcare workers) and a renewed appreciation of the vital role teachers play in our society.

The budget failed to address existing issues in EITHER SECTOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cordell wrote:
    I don't think so. The problem we're facing is a reduction of products and services due to restrictions and slow demand. The solution is to drive demand back, so the VAT drop makes sense, and try to balance restrictions and keeping the economy going. Now, we will have inflation because the alternative is worse, but we can't pretend that it's all good.

Where's the inflation gonna come from? Baring in mind, its looking possible, we re heading into a deflationary period

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    Two areas most talked about during lockdown: nurses/doctors etc. (clap for healthcare workers) and a renewed appreciation of the vital role teachers play in our society.

Nurses + doctors no bother. Teachers- are you joking me.
    Didn't public sector get an increase last week? Do ye want one every week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where's the inflation gonna come from? Baring in mind, its looking possible, we re heading into a deflationary period

From more QE than is needed to keep the situation stable.

enricoh wrote: »
    Nurses + doctors no bother. Teachers- are you joking me.
    Didn't public sector get an increase last week? Do ye want one every week!!
    I am not asking for additional pay.

I'm asking for investment in IT infrastructure to support remote/blended learning in the future.

I'm asking for investment in reducing class sizes to near the OECD average (15:1), not 25:1.
    I'm asking for investment in education. I'm not asking for extra pay. Sure, don't I get paid for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I am not asking for additional pay.

I'm asking for investment in IT infrastructure to support remote/blended learning in the future.

I'm asking for investment in reducing class sizes to near the OECD average (15:1), not 25:1.
    I'm asking for investment in education. I'm not asking for extra pay. Sure, don't I get paid for the summer!

Actually there is a massive financial package something like 300 million I think in it to reduce class sizes and build more schools.

You obviously didn't read it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40063649.html?type=amp

Cordell wrote:
    From more QE than is needed to keep the situation stable.

More than likely lead to further asset price inflation, and little or no real economy inflation

Actually there is a massive financial package something like 300 million I think in it to reduce class sizes and build more schools.

You obviously didn't read it.
    There is a plan to reduce class sizes to 25:1, which I quoted above. This is still 10 children per class over the OECD average, and isn't good enough in my opinion. There is also zero investment in IT training or infrastructure in schools. I read it, just not satisfied with it. But as long as the long term unemployed get their bonuses, who cares about the children I guess.

• Advertisement

There is a plan to reduce class sizes to 25:1, which I quoted above. This is still 10 children per class over the OECD average, and isn't good enough in my opinion. There is also zero investment in IT training or infrastructure in schools. I read it, just not satisfied with it. But as long as the long term unemployed get their bonuses, who cares about the children I guess.

You just said earlier you're asking for investment on reducing class sizes.

I tell you it's there and you say you're not happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Nobody uses bikes as a means of transport, Its a hobby for lycra fetishists

What about teenagers and students who don't own a car? even in rainy Galway you will see a fair few people cycling around on what is currently not particularly safe infrastructure. Some bit by bit investment in cycling infrastructure helps everyone, less traffic for cars and a viable alternative to those that wish not to drive or cannot yet drive. With public transport reduced or restricted for a prolonged period, this is even more important now.

PeterPan92 wrote:

I'd imagine long term unemployment isn't all what it's cracked up to be, nothing stopping the government from borrowing money for the educational system

You just said earlier you're asking for investment on reducing class sizes.

I tell you it's there and you say you're not happy?
    To quote my earlier post:

" I'm asking for investment in reducing class sizes to near the OECD average (15:1), not 25:1."
    This is not significant investment in my opinion. So no, I am not happy.

To quote your earlier post.

"The budget failed to address these issues"

Yey the budget has allocated 300 million to address these isuues.

I'd imagine long term unemployment isn't all what it's cracked up to be, nothing stopping the government from borrowing money for the educational system
    There were plenty of jobs going in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes Stores and many other such shops over lockdown. The perpetual dole seekers (the long term unemployed I speak of) didn't go running to apply for those.

To quote your earlier post.

"The budget failed to address these issues"

Yey the budget has allocated 300 million to address these isuues.
    If you think a class average of 25:1 is sufficiently address the issue of large class sizes, that's your opinion. In my opinion the 300 million is a drop in the ocean for what is required.

There were plenty of jobs going in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes Stores and many other such shops over lockdown. The perpetual dole seekers (the long term unemployed I speak of) didn't go running to apply for those.

Agreed.

Like before the pandemic.

Having to bring in half a million foreign workers to do jobs our lifer doleheads won't do here.

PeterPan92 wrote:

Would they be taken on, and would they be able to do the job?

If it was a matter of life and death and putting food on the table they would.

But it's not because they are pampered too like kids.

• Advertisement

We will never know. A life on the dole is too comfortable for them. 18-24 months should be maximum on unemployment benefit. After that, get a job or lose welfare. Not the current approach of entering huge debt as a country, but giving dole lifers a bonus every December for all the hard work they do moving from bed to couch every midday.

Well they could certainly hold a litter picker or a paint brush.
    Lots of things they could be doing rather than bed, bookies and boozer.

PeterPan92 wrote:
    We will never know. A life on the dole is too comfortable for them. 18-24 months should be maximum on unemployment benefit. After that, get a job or lose welfare. Not the current approach of entering huge debt as a country, but giving dole lifers a bonus every December for all the hard work they do moving from bed to couch every midday.

Once again, rising public debt is far safer than rising private debt, as we ve recently experienced in 08!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Problem is Gov policy.

Too many would be out money if they lost their medical card, free this and that.

You should never be worse off working than on the dole.

And we had 2 periods of more or less full employment. Around 2007 and just before the pandemic, so if you were unemployed during both these times, you should have hard questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Covid19

Overall, a brave but risky budget. A wartime budget. However, I am disappointed with the Greens and their unrealistic agenda. Ive voted Green all my life, but the millitant, unrealistic and arrogant attitude of their representatives of late is stomach churning. During the discussion on RTE radio this afternoon, the ignorance displayed by the Green "surrogate" University Fellow ( Her name evades me, American accent) was galling.
    Her lack of understanding of the Ireland outside of the M50 and City Ring Roads is incredible.
    The Green agenda will never work until both the infrastructure and realistic incentives are available to those "Middle Ireland" families living in smaller towns and villages across the Country. Families who need two cars due to the complete absence of public transport. Cars, I might add, of a value of less than €5-6,000. E-Cars and House Retrofit grants are a distant pipedream for those of us in Rural Ireland.
    Banning SUV's and replacing them with E-Cars in the Farming Community is an example of the absolute nonsense that is slowly but surely leveraging the Green Party far away from having any notion of power beyond the M50.
    If some of them spent a few weeks living with families struggling to make ends meet across the Midlands and down the Western Seaboard, they may change their tune. Families with mortgages, children in college, two cars needed as both parents have to work.
    Did anyone else hear her views this afternoon?

yer man! wrote: »
    What about teenagers and students who don't own a car? even in rainy Galway you will see a fair few people cycling around on what is currently not particularly safe infrastructure. Some bit by bit investment in cycling infrastructure helps everyone, less traffic for cars and a viable alternative to those that wish not to drive or cannot yet drive. With public transport reduced or restricted for a prolonged period, this is even more important now.

Have you ever cycled from Headford into Galway for work? I suppose you could also get the train in from Headford too. Or a quick spin into Galway from Clifden on the bicycle to grab a few things in the shops. The people you see cycling around Galway, or indeed any rural town live between 1 to 2kn from the centre.
    No one in their right mind cycles anywhere in Rural Ireland for work.or school. It's a death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Covid19 wrote: »
    Have you ever cycled from Headford into Galway for work? I suppose you could also get the train in from Headford too. Or a quick spin into Galway from Clifden on the bicycle to grab a few things in the shops. The people you see cycling around Galway, or indeed any rural town live between 1 to 2kn from the centre.
    No one in their right mind cycles anywhere in Rural Ireland for work.or school. It's a death wish.

Headford got the M17. How much did that cost? Cycling has had no investment over the years, now they're throwing it a bone and people are moaning. Also if you decide to live in the middle of nowhere miles from school and work, you're not really going to have great cycling facilities and you'll always be car reliant. Hopefully some of this funding can improve cycling in and around towns though, we'll see.

Cordell wrote: »
    9/10 SUVs on the road are SUVs only in name, in everything else they are no larger than Passats and usually lighter in both weight and fuel consumption.

Agreed. Also. Try telling the tens of thousands of farmers that they don't need their SUV s any more. According to one Green commentator on RTE, they should all be driving E-Cars. Divorced from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Headford got the M17. How much did that cost? Cycling has had no investment over the years, now they're throwing it a bone and people are moaning. Also if you decide to live in the middle of nowhere miles from school and work, you're not really going to have great cycling facilities and you'll always be car reliant. Hopefully some of this funding can improve cycling in and around towns though, we'll see.

I think you're probably mixing Headford up with Tuam - but neither here nor there in the discussion I suppose. The discussion has centered around Galway which desperately needs solutions for many different use cases.

• Advertisement

The Greens are an airy fairy party.
    Up their own ho**s.
    Wannabes with little or no idea of life outside of Dublin.
    Goys.

Advertisement