Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Covid19

Headford got the M17. How much did that cost? Cycling has had no investment over the years, now they're throwing it a bone and people are moaning. Also if you decide to live in the middle of nowhere miles from school and work, you're not really going to have great cycling facilities and you'll always be car reliant. Hopefully some of this funding can improve cycling in and around towns though, we'll see.

You obviously live in a City. My farm decided where I live. Not me. I need a second Day Job to provide for my family. This is the same for thousands of rural communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The Greens are an airy fairy party.
    Up their own ho**s.
    Wannabes with little or no idea of life outside of Dublin.
    Goys.

I wouldn't be putting Green at the top of my ballot, but hasn't the same been said for FG and FF? They behave the same, I wouldnt label the Greens with it exclusively.

Headford got the M17. How much did that cost? Cycling has had no investment over the years, now they're throwing it a bone and people are moaning. Also if you decide to live in the middle of nowhere miles from school and work, you're not really going to have great cycling facilities and you'll always be car reliant. Hopefully some of this funding can improve cycling in and around towns though, we'll see.

Jesus. Geography ain't your strongest point. The M17 goes nowhere near Headford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Covid19 wrote: »
    Agreed. Also. Try telling the tens of thousands of farmers that they don't need their SUV s any more. According to one Green commentator on RTE, they should all be driving E-Cars. Divorced from reality.

Or self employed lads with vans driving all over the country working.

They are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The Greens are an airy fairy party.
    Up their own ho**s.
    Wannabes with little or no idea of life outside of Dublin.
    Goys.

They pulled this ****e last time and got annihilated, why is anyone surprised they are doing it again?

• Advertisement

As expected they are hitting those of us who are car owners.

The Greens had a hand in that, hopefully voters will remember it when the next GE comes around.

My Bad. I actually agree with you.

Jesus. Geography ain't your strongest point. The M17 goes nowhere near Headford.

Geography of anywhere outside his cycle route isn't tbh

Nowhere outside of the Dublin area matters to some people, we had the same stinking attitude to anyone who "chose to" live in the north West region in a thread a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE have sad music and left wingers on

Or self employed lads with vans driving all over the country working.

They are clueless.

Isn't the Urban ignorance of life in Rural Ireland, the smaller towns and villages and all the associated businesses, foibles and lifestyle, difficult as it is, quite shocking?
    They really have no clue. This is the voting block that will destroy the Greens at the next election.
    All would be well if they balanced their agenda with incentives and realistic solutions. But no. Not s clue.

Geography of anywhere outside his cycle route isn't tbh

Nowhere outside of the Dublin area matters to some people, we had the same stinking attitude to anyone who "chose to" live in the north West region in a thread a few months back.

As many of you know, none of us "choose" to live in Connacht, especially in Winter. Needs must in order to raise a family. They wouldn't last a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry, I could have sworn I went past Headford on that road on the way to Ashford Castle earlier in the year on the M17.

Isn't the Urban ignorance of life in Rural Ireland, the smaller towns and villages and all the associated businesses, foibles and lifestyle, difficult as it is, quite shocking?
    They really have no clue. This is the voting block that will destroy the Greens at the next election.
    All would be well if they balanced their agenda with incentives and realistic solutions. But no. Not s clue.

I suppose we just see your gas guzzling reckless lifestyles and intensive dairy farming destroying the environment, and the bungalow blight ruining scenic areas, and wish you'd just get your act together a bit.
    The Greens will be gone at next election obviously, I'm just hoping they can improve a few things that interest me while they can.

As many of you know, none of us "choose" to live in Connacht, especially in Winter. Needs must in order to raise a family. They wouldn't last a weekend.

I doubt you or your family would a last a weekend in my rather "rustic" corner of Dublin either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So in February they're going to come back and snip, snip, snip. They'd want to be careful with who shoulders the burden, if the squeezed middle get squished they won't be remembered kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Have you ever cycled from Headford into Galway for work? I suppose you could also get the train in from Headford too. Or a quick spin into Galway from Clifden on the bicycle to grab a few things in the shops. The people you see cycling around Galway, or indeed any rural town live between 1 to 2kn from the centre.
    No one in their right mind cycles anywhere in Rural Ireland for work.or school. It's a death wish.

Yes the people I see cycling generally are not going long distance, what is your point?

Not everyone lives far away from where they're trying to get to but they need better infrastructure than what is currently available and hopefully more of it will increase these short trips to entice people to think about not taking the car or make those that need to cycle safer.

You do live far from where you need to go and have a car for this purpose and that's fine, not everyone is the same as you.

yer man! wrote: »
    Yes the people I see cycling generally are not going long distance, what is your point?

Not everyone lives far away from where they're trying to get to but they need better infrastructure than what is currently available and hopefully more of it will increase these short trips to entice people to think about not taking the car or make those that need to cycle safer.

You do live far from where you need to go and have a car for this purpose and that's fine, not everyone is the same as you.

Exactly. It's the small journeys that congest our towns and cities that things like bicycle infra will help reduce. Thus making driving easier for those reliant on cars and cycling easier for people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Every year these budgets are punintive and what do we get for it? Good public services? Decreasing public debt? Worthwhile capital expenditure?

All i see is rampant inflation (even though government will laughably tell you inflation is under 1%) and wage stagnation. The standard of living for average people is falling every year.

Depending on your bias you'll blame left-wing politics, right-wing politics, the EU, etc. I blame Irish people in general. I've no faith in us. Whether you're on the scratcher or running the country...too many of us are on the take and only in it for ourselves. An absolute **** hole of a country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I suppose we just see your gas guzzling reckless lifestyles and intensive dairy farming destroying the environment, and the bungalow blight ruining scenic areas, and wish you'd just get your act together a bit.
    The Greens will be gone at next election obviously, I'm just hoping they can improve a few things that interest me while they can.

That is the point of the Greens, achieve transformational change so that it doesn't matter whether or not they are re-elected. They didn't manage it the last time, hopefully they will this time.

I will still vote for them the next time, but don't expect the same level of achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

corny wrote: »
    Every year these budgets are punintive and what do we get for it? Good public services? Decreasing public debt? Worthwhile capital expenditure?

All i see is rampant inflation (even though government will laughably tell you inflation is under 1%) and wage stagnation. The standard of living for average people is falling every year.

Depending on your bias you'll blame left-wing politics, right-wing politics, the EU, etc. I blame Irish people in general. I've no faith in us. Whether you're on the scratcher or running the country...too many of us are on the take and only in it for ourselves. An absolute **** hole of a country we live in.

Agree with this.

Country is mostly full of me feiners who don't give a toss about anyone else.

See it in every aspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

But we've always known the Greens are a shower of cosseted entitled dickheads. We can't blame them when they turn out to be the **** we knew they were anyway. Blame the self righteous snowflakes who voted for the cnuts.

• Advertisement

I can't get over €8 million being allocated for funding further Stardust inquests.

No disrespect meant to the families or the deceased but haven't there been many inquests already?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bricriu

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy your staycation, pet?

No wonder can't afford to go on holidays in the Republic or eat out at a reasonable price, when we have sneering, smart-aleck dead-brains like the above who put up with everything without a murmur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Bricriu wrote: »
    No wonder can't afford to go on holidays in the Republic or eat out at a reasonable price, when we have sneering, smart-aleck dead-brains like the above who put up with everything without a murmur.
    Off to Belfast for a few days in the morning. €104 for 2 nights in a 4 star hotel right in the middle of the city centre. No way in hell would I pay three times that in ROI then pay more for food/drinks.

Don't line greedy hoteliers pockets until they drop prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is the point of the Greens, achieve transformational change so that it doesn't matter whether or not they are re-elected. They didn't manage it the last time, hopefully they will this time.

I will still vote for them the next time, but don't expect the same level of achievement.

Based on the last time they were in government you don't seem to mind if the transformational change is good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Outside of what has been discussed a couple of things have been missed but perhaps they have been addressed else where, not necessarily in the budget.
    1. The insurance industry. What exactly is happening here with reducing insurance costs for businesses and the individual?
    2. The legal profession and legal system in general..the Troika told us we needed to overhaul our legal system. What's happening.
    Maybe not budgetary things but both have a massive effect on our country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lundstram wrote: »
    Off to Belfast for a few days in the morning. €104 for 2 nights in a 4 star hotel right in the middle of the city centre. No way in hell would I pay three times that in ROI then pay more for food/drinks.

Don't line greedy hoteliers pockets until they drop prices.
    Was pre-covid but was going to head to Dublin in early Spring, think there was some Disney on Ice thing on in the Point for the little one and was gonna do a bit of shopping, eating etc. When we priced it up, we said **** that and went to Berlin for 3 days instead. Was cheaper even including the flights.

The Irish hospitality industry needs a wake up call not a bail out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Owning and running a car in this country is becoming harder every year unless you're wealthy. I'm not talking about an extravagant or expensive one either.
    And if you're driving any SUV now or higher litre car it's even worse basically have a target on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Owning and running a car in this country is becoming harder every year unless you're wealthy. I'm not talking about an extravagant or expensive one either.
    And if you're driving any SUV now or higher litre car it's even worse basically have a target on your back.

And if you have an older vehicle it can't be insured. It's a total joke. I have a 05 jeep here that works fine and is in use on a daily basis. I will have to upgrade the jeep next year because of insurance even though it's working fine and passes the CVRT every year. Big push towards electric vehicles which are no use for me, have a crap driving range and the batteries are only good for few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Amirani wrote: »
    So do lots of people, it's the biggest employer in the State. So you are actually the average (mode) person as it happens...

Yes man, thank you, i'm the average :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And if you have an older vehicle it can't be insured. It's a total joke. I have a 05 jeep here that works fine and is in use on a daily basis. I will have to upgrade the jeep next year because of insurance even though it's working fine and passes the CVRT every year. Big push towards electric vehicles which are no use for me, have a crap driving range and the batteries are only good for few years.

In the world of reduce, reuse, recycle, the irony in forcing perfectly fine machines off the road for brand new vehicles, is lost on many.

Advertisement