Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2021 Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kippy wrote:
    In the world of reduce, reuse, recycle, the irony in forcing perfectly fine machines off the road for brand new vehicles, is lost on many.

Its not lost at, we need to move as quickly as possible to other power sources, but I have to say, our approach is probably wrong in places

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As a solitary pensioner. I am very glad of the extra allowances for Living Alone and Fuel. It will be an easier winter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

It was a very meh budget, didn’t get or take anything much from us.
    I certainly hope government policy on electric everything is correct as it’ll be an expensive mistake if not, and I’ve my doubts that the national grid and infrastructure are good enough for these plans.
    TBH it’s budgets in future years that’ll hurt, they keep mentioning the 11billion that households saved during lockdown, and they’ll be targeting that in future. Cause you know, financial prudence is something the populace shouldn’t have when politicians don’t

screamer wrote:
    It was a very meh budget, didn’t get or take anything much from us. I certainly hope government policy on electric everything is correct as it’ll be an expensive mistake if not, and I’ve my doubts that the national grid and infrastructure are good enough for these plans. TBH it’s budgets in future years that’ll hurt, they keep mentioning the 11billion that households saved during lockdown, and they’ll be targeting that in future. Cause you know, financial prudence is something the populace shouldn’t have when politicians don’t

Ah financial prudence is slowly running out of road, it ll probably crash and burn at some stage, when folks are seriously reluctant to spend their savings

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

screamer wrote: »
    It was a very meh budget, didn’t get or take anything much from us.
    I certainly hope government policy on electric everything is correct as it’ll be an expensive mistake if not, and I’ve my doubts that the national grid and infrastructure are good enough for these plans.
    TBH it’s budgets in future years that’ll hurt, they keep mentioning the 11billion that households saved during lockdown, and they’ll be targeting that in future. Cause you know, financial prudence is something the populace shouldn’t have when politicians don’t

ESB will be rolling in it once everyone is forced to have heat pumps and electric cars, they'll have a massive monopoly on energy in Ireland and they are still semi state who pay a % of profits to the government every year so they wont be fighting against any price increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

And if you have an older vehicle it can't be insured. It's a total joke. I have a 05 jeep here that works fine and is in use on a daily basis. I will have to upgrade the jeep next year because of insurance even though it's working fine and passes the CVRT every year. Big push towards electric vehicles which are no use for me, have a crap driving range and the batteries are only good for few years.

And the real shame is your 05 jeep is probably better than the new one you will have to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Alot of extra support for those who have closed businesses or lost their jobs which is rightly so, but not much of an incentive or support for anyone who is working through the pandemic like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its not lost at, we need to move as quickly as possible to other power sources, but I have to say, our approach is probably wrong in places

I think you need to look at the "reduce, reuse and recycle" mantra a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Big push towards electric vehicles which are no use for me, have a crap driving range and the batteries are only good for few years.

so much missinfiormation here, but thats the reality of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A lot of people on this thread seem to confuse the word "budget" with the word "bonus".
    Why would there be something for the average worker?

Are you under the impression that Ireland has a surplus that it doesnt know what to do with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And if you have an older vehicle it can't be insured. It's a total joke. I have a 05 jeep here that works fine and is in use on a daily basis. I will have to upgrade the jeep next year because of insurance even though it's working fine and passes the CVRT every year. Big push towards electric vehicles which are no use for me, have a crap driving range and the batteries are only good for few years.

Electric despite the incentives to buy new is still unaffordable for many. No-one wants second hands with half clapped out batteries.
    Strangely, you still see lots of older cars on the Continent driving about, not taxed or insured out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The woman from the green party name?, ranting about SUV's very peculiar and its damages the Greens, how come they never mention data centers when talking about becoming carbon neutral.

The core social welfare rates, nor pensions, have not been raised so can't see where those who think its a bonanza for social welfare recipients is coming from.

The massive borrowings are a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Can't say I'd often agree with People Before Profit or Sinn Fein but their statements on how the further rent schemes will only help landlords is spot on.

The housing situation in this country is beyond a joke, if you're earning over 30k (non hap applicable) it's an absolute struggle for any person or family to have any bit of independence. You're talking 1200 for a house that's not in an absolute kip of an area, and that's looking at cities and large towns outside of Dublin.

I also look at people like my own parents, both working low paid jobs and currently renting. One is on HAP but it clearly only means higher rent prices. What's the point of them even working at this stage? Luckily they have a bit of dignity. They're getting absolutely shafted by high rents in this country and not a bit of help from the government.

Don't get me started on house prices either, I'd feel sick paying what people are asking in the current market. As a single applicant earning under 50k you're basically left looking at proper run down places. Where is the hope for any of these areas? It's depressing really. I have nothing to inherit, not one asset or bit of cash from anyone and with house prices rising, rents increasing and the government continuing to leave out supports for anyone trying to make a permanent life for themselves in this country, I can now see how emigration becomes a very viable thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

GreeBo wrote: »
    A lot of people on this thread seem to confuse the word "budget" with the word "bonus".
    Why would there be something for the average worker?

Are you under the impression that Ireland has a surplus that it doesnt know what to do with?

Why wouldn’t there be something for the average worker? They could have done a small gesture like halving income tax for December, anything at all just to give a small bit back to those who carry this country and get out of bed every morning to go work. Nope nothing for them, but they can piss away half a billion on giving 15k new HAP places next year for the layabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Have been reading a lot of articles but can not find an answer iv got a diesel car producing 87co2 is the car tax going down or up.?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Genuine question, whats the point of SUVS outside of farm/construction use? Why does a somebody bringing their kids to school , going to work then picking up some shopping need something so overbearing?

Keeping up with the Joneses.

Absolute despise all the SUVs on the road and I'm a petrol head. Ridiculous. Most of them are people without or with 1 child only too.

A volkswagen golf and many other cars are half the size and as practical especially when they're only used for shopping trips. I suppose poor mommy or daddy don't want to strain their back putting the childer into the baby seats :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Genuine question, whats the point of SUVS outside of farm/construction use? Why does a somebody bringing their kids to school , going to work then picking up some shopping need something so overbearing?

I agree with you there are nonsense outside of farming, but it's only one issue in getting carbon neutral as I said why don't the green party talk about Datacenters more, there are lots of examples like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A perceived notion that bigger is safer, making roads less safe for everyone else, that and "look at our shiny big car" wankery.
    Everything now is needlessly big and ignorant, from cars to houses.

kippy wrote: »
    I think you need to look at the "reduce, reuse and recycle" mantra a bit more.

i have, in depth in fact, ive major criticism towards it, particularly the mantra, the 'polluter pays'...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

i have, in depth in fact, ive major criticism towards it, particularly the mantra, the 'polluter pays'...

So you think that the manufacture and importation of a new car is more environmentatly conscious than maintaining an existing car?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    So you think that the manufacture and importation of a new car is more environmentatly conscious than maintaining an existing car?

in the long term, yes, but short term, probably not, but we must continue the change over, even though some elements will not be helpful, particularly environmentally, im more concerned about the way we re approaching all of this change over though, im not convinced it ll work very well, particularly under present predominant political and economical ideologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I thought it was a good budget:eek:
    Never thought I'd be saying that !

Also if this tweet ends up being correct, we'll end up being under the already relaxed previous Euro area borrowing limit
    In other words we can borrow more if we keep the shut downs to a min
    Its in all our hands,literally!

https://twitter.com/drdanmclaughlin/status/1316307040877383683?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭boardlady

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm still fuming that the long-term unemployed (perpetual dole) are after getting the Christmas bonus. These same people sat at home, berating Keeling's for bringing in strawberry pickers while not applying for jobs when Tesco, Dunnes etc. were crying out for additional workers.

In general, I do not believe anyone on welfare should get a Christmas bonus, but understand the PUP people getting it (for this year at least). If you have been unemployed more that 24 months you should be cut off all welfare, not getting bonuses for doing nothing!

I get what you are mad over, but I think the government's thinking was that these people would spend that christmas bonus locally - and probably not online or save it. They will spend it in the pubs, cafes and small shops hopefully (bookies maybe?!)

boardlady wrote: »
    I get what you are mad over, but I think the government's thinking was that these people would spend that christmas bonus locally - and probably not online or save it. They will spend it in the pubs, cafes and small shops hopefully (bookies maybe?!)

the actual needs of the long term unemployed have never been fulfilled, they aint actually having an easy life, its a perception of an easy life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

the actual needs of the long term unemployed have never been fulfilled, they aint actually having an easy life, its a perception of an easy life

It's amazing to think what people think constitutes a good life. I honestly feel quite sorry for people who think the perpetual unemployed have it made. It's not that work is a virtue, there's probably other more rewarding stuff we could do and we probably work too much, but come on, life is long. Work does keep us busy and allows us to fulfill ourselves. It gives us agency in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Kilboor wrote: »
    Can't say I'd often agree with People Before Profit or Sinn Fein but their statements on how the further rent schemes will only help landlords is spot on.

The housing situation in this country is beyond a joke, if you're earning over 30k (non hap applicable) it's an absolute struggle for any person or family to have any bit of independence. You're talking 1200 for a house that's not in an absolute kip of an area, and that's looking at cities and large towns outside of Dublin.

I also look at people like my own parents, both working low paid jobs and currently renting. One is on HAP but it clearly only means higher rent prices. What's the point of them even working at this stage? Luckily they have a bit of dignity. They're getting absolutely shafted by high rents in this country and not a bit of help from the government.

Don't get me started on house prices either, I'd feel sick paying what people are asking in the current market. As a single applicant earning under 50k you're basically left looking at proper run down places. Where is the hope for any of these areas? It's depressing really. I have nothing to inherit, not one asset or bit of cash from anyone and with house prices rising, rents increasing and the government continuing to leave out supports for anyone trying to make a permanent life for themselves in this country, I can now see how emigration becomes a very viable thing.

One of the measures that would bring fairness to people like you is increasing LPT as only those who own property would pay it. Howver, both SF and PBP want to abolish it, yet you support them?

blanch152 wrote: »
    One of the measures that would bring fairness to people like you is increasing LPT as only those who own property would pay it. Howver, both SF and PBP want to abolish it, yet you support them?

id be more in favour of a lvt to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

blanch152 wrote: »

How exactly would rising lpt for land Lords help renters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

boardlady wrote: »

I highly doubt the grey tracksuits are going to be spending it in Mary’s local shop up the road. They might as well have given them JD Sports gift cards instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Same sh!te on here every year about the people on the dole who get a Christmas bonus. Big f**king deal. They get an extra €203.00 for Christmas. So many begrudging people on boards.

You can moan about some of them are lifers on the dole bla bla bla, but regardless, they arent living a luxury lifestyle on €203.00 per week for f**ks sake. If you want your free Christmas bonus then go quit your job and see how easy it is to live on that money.

I can guarantee you that you'll be on your knees looking for your job back. Let them have their once a year bonus. I wouldn't begrudge anyone that extra little bit of money at Christmas. It goes back into the economy anyway. Some people need to get a grip on this forum, saying they're fuming and they're livid over it. How are you's not used to it by now. It's tiresome listening to the same whingy moaning posters year in, year out, get over it.

The rest of us go out and work and earn a living and get paid more money for doing that. We're not entitled to a Christmas bonus, cop on to yourselves. We work, we get paid, end of. If you don't wanna work go claim your €203.00 for f**ks sake, so you can have your yearly €203.00 bonus.

However, I'd rather work and have a better wage and not whinge about it, crying that I didn't get anything from the government. There's no income tax increase, that's a bonus in itself for the working man and woman. That's the bonus. Horrible begrudging fools on here.

Advertisement