Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup Problem

Options
  • 13-10-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can assist me with this. Having a startup problem with a 6.5 year old self-build. Specs as follows;
    • i5-4670K (Not OC'd)
    • ASRock z87 Extreme6
    • GSKill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333Mhz (2x2GB and 2x4GB)
    • Corsair CS550M PSU
    • 2 Seagate HDDS and a Samsung 840 SSD
    • ASUS RX480 8GB
    • Asus BD Drive
    • Card Reader

Problem;
    Initially started getting BSOD on startup a few weeks ago. Ended up reinstalling Windows and it seemed to fix it for a day or so. Initially suspected boot drive as a result but problems didn't go away, although I haven't had any BSODs since. Current issue is that I can push the power button and the computer will do one of; power on but not POST, do nothing or boot up correctly. The last one the least common action of course!

I have noticed when it powers on but doesn't POST one of the chassis fans doesn't start. When it does POST this fan starts no issue. The debug 7-segment does not illuminate at all here. RGB LEDs on the GPU remain a default pinkish colour(they go blue whenever it successfully POSTs).

The other thing I have noticed is that the computer will only recognises on pair of RAM sticks now. I've tested all the modules individually and they all work fine, however regardless of which slots each pair is in the computer only uses the two 4GB sticks.

I have tried a brand new PSU with it and that makes no difference. The RAM modules working OK individually, and the chassis fan start/non-start, are making me think the Mobo has an intermittent fault. The rare time I do successfully boot to Windows the computer works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can assist me with this. Having a startup problem with a 6.5 year old self-build. Specs as follows;
    • i5-4670K (Not OC'd)
    • ASRock z87 Extreme6
    • GSKill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333Mhz (2x2GB and 2x4GB)
    • Corsair CS550M PSU
    • 2 Seagate HDDS and a Samsung 840 SSD
    • ASUS RX480 8GB
    • Asus BD Drive
    • Card Reader

Problem;
    Initially started getting BSOD on startup a few weeks ago. Ended up reinstalling Windows and it seemed to fix it for a day or so. Initially suspected boot drive as a result but problems didn't go away, although I haven't had any BSODs since. Current issue is that I can push the power button and the computer will do one of; power on but not POST, do nothing or boot up correctly. The last one the least common action of course!

I have noticed when it powers on but doesn't POST one of the chassis fans doesn't start. When it does POST this fan starts no issue. The debug 7-segment does not illuminate at all here. RGB LEDs on the GPU remain a default pinkish colour(they go blue whenever it successfully POSTs).

The other thing I have noticed is that the computer will only recognises on pair of RAM sticks now. I've tested all the modules individually and they all work fine, however regardless of which slots each pair is in the computer only uses the two 4GB sticks.

I have tried a brand new PSU with it and that makes no difference. The RAM modules working OK individually, and the chassis fan start/non-start, are making me think the Mobo has an intermittent fault. The rare time I do successfully boot to Windows the computer works fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Mobo issues if all 4 sticks of RAM are good but the system only recognises 1 pair. Can you borrow a Mobo off someone and see if that resolves the issue, that's the best place to start trouble shooting, and the cheapest if you can arrange a lend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I could borrow one off. A bit disappointing the motherboard is gone as it was running well up until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I could borrow one off. A bit disappointing the motherboard is gone as it was running well up until now!

You are looking at about €50 for a replacement socket 1151 Mobo off adverts or ebay. Whilst the Mobo is by far the most likely issue here given you have tested the RAM and the PSU, and CPU's don't go bad, it could end up being a waste of money, that's just a risk you have to take if you want to resurrect this PC.

After a lot of heartache I have got it to start. I'm just going to leave it on and sleep when I'm not using and see how it goes. Not ideal but might tide me over until these new Ryzen CPUs are available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (£294.99 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£204.06 @ Technextday)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£137.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£99.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case (£145.96 @ More Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
    Total: £1095.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 22:32 BST+0100

A potential replacement build if anyone has any comments. I already have the GPU and PSU, and will reuse HDDs and current 256GB SSD. Considering whether to get the case or not but probably better getting the new one to make proper use of mobo features i.e. USB C on front panel.

I will probably wait until new Ryzens are out and confirm CPU/Mobo choice at that point, assuming existing computer lasts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£36.61 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£209.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£137.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£209.08 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case (£82.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
    Custom: Ryzen 7 5800X (£428.00)
    Total: £1104.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 23:17 BST+0100

Definitely try to get a 5800X - being listed at £428 on most UK etailers.
    SSD, no point going for an 860 Evo & SN550 - just get a singular SX8200 Pro which is practically same price but better performance & only uses up 1 slot.
    For case, the Define 7 is overkill unless you're going for custom loops / 360mm AIOs in future - get something like Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh or be Quiet 500DX.

The reason I was looking at the windowed Define 7 was it is one of the few that has four USB ports on the front, which I tend to make heavy use of. Also the slot for the disc drive, which I notice I neglected to mention.
    Obviously the window to see the pretty lights. I'll have a look and see if any other cases at a better price meet my criteria.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a 3800X, the current rig is breaking my heart getting it going each day and I can't leave it running all the time. Even had it down the lab at work yesterday and couldn't figure out the issue.

I'm looking at the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi and the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi. The latter is slightly more expensive but works out cheaper with the cashback offer. Seems the only difference is a slower Ethernet controller and Bluetooth 5 instead of 5.1 on the MAG. Neither are a big deal in my eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

try new power supply to fix problem

salamiii wrote: »
    try new power supply to fix problem

I already did.

• Advertisement

I already did.

then try 1 stick of ram in different spots as ram and slots go bad also remove gpu
    try windows 7 if you installed windows 10 you need new drivers like bios etc check all cable connections sometimes gpu burns out make sure cables in correct slots

buy used motherboard if that all fails

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a 3800X, the current rig is breaking my heart getting it going each day and I can't leave it running all the time. Even had it down the lab at work yesterday and couldn't figure out the issue.

I'm looking at the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi and the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi. The latter is slightly more expensive but works out cheaper with the cashback offer. Seems the only difference is a slower Ethernet controller and Bluetooth 5 instead of 5.1 on the MAG. Neither are a big deal in my eyes.

Get the Tomahawk.
    I've read nothing but bad things about Intel I211AT LAN.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get the Tomahawk.
    I've read nothing but bad things about Intel I211AT LAN.

Cheers, seems with the chipset cooling on the Gaming series mobos MSI really missed the mark as well. Techspot refers to the Tomahawk as the next step in their "redemption series".

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£284.95 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler (£50.90 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£200.19 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (£151.54 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£209.88 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £897.46
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-18 19:44 BST+0100

Final shopping list. Changed to 3700X from 3800X as online consensus is the 3800X is only worth it for <£20 higher cost. Using some of the savings there to get the beQuiet cooler. I chose the slim model as there won't be overhang above the RAM and performance seems to be only slightly below the 4 Pro model. I had to change the RAM as well, the Ballistix doesn't seem to be available anywhere in 32GB kits(bar extortionate prices!).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£284.95 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler (£50.90 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£200.19 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (£151.54 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£209.88 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £897.46
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-18 19:44 BST+0100

Final shopping list. Changed to 3700X from 3800X as online consensus is the 3800X is only worth it for <£20 higher cost. Using some of the savings there to get the beQuiet cooler. I chose the slim model as there won't be overhang above the RAM and performance seems to be only slightly below the 4 Pro model. I had to change the RAM as well, the Ballistix doesn't seem to be available anywhere in 32GB kits(bar extortionate prices!).
    both the better intel 11th gen and amd 5000 cpus are due out i don't see any video card on your build

salamiii wrote: »
    both the better intel 11th gen and amd 5000 cpus are due out i don't see any video card on your build

Do you read the thread at all?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do you read the thread at all?

Nope.

bobbyy, please either pay attention and give good advice or just chill and sit this one out, if you can't come up with good posts for a specific situation then maybe the best policy is not posting?

Got her all built up last week at work. No issues, POSTed first go. I kept the drives from previous build, used the new PSU and kept old one a as spare.

I didn't order a new case but did acquire a windowed side panel from Holland to see all the lovely lights!

Advertisement