Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K monitor with laptop - advice

Options
  • 13-10-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I recently purchased a 4k UHD 27" monitor for use to work from home. I'm using it with my Dell laptop, but everytime I plug it in to monitor with HDMI it takes about 30 seconds before it all settles and I'm able to proplery use it.

But even then sometimes certain apps are tiny and next time they're OK! It's like it keeps having to remember the display settings. It also just feels sluggish all time in opening up tabs in the browswer and Outlook emails. Even typing, sometimes there's a lag with the characters appearing.

I got a decent HDMI cable as well, but wondering should I use certain settings with the laptop? The highest refresh rate is only 30 Herz.

I also use this monitor with a decent Dell desktop (with a great graphics card) and it runs perfeclty. So it's just the laptop that I need to calibrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What's model number of the laptop ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Barney224 wrote: »
    I got a decent HDMI cable as well, but wondering should I use certain settings with the laptop? The highest refresh rate is only 30 Herz.

The fact that you're doing 4K 30 suggests you've a much older HDMI standard on the laptop/its GPU sucks. Either way indicating its GPU probably sucks (HD410 or something).

4K at 27" is mostly meaningless, 1440P at 27" is about sweetspot. Drop the resolution to 1440 and then the refresh rate will rise to 60hz. Should start to improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

ZENER wrote: »
    What's model number of the laptop ?

Ken

It's a Dell Latitude 5480

ED E wrote: »
    The fact that you're doing 4K 30 suggests you've a much older HDMI standard on the laptop/its GPU sucks. Either way indicating its GPU probably sucks (HD410 or something).

4K at 27" is mostly meaningless, 1440P at 27" is about sweetspot. Drop the resolution to 1440 and then the refresh rate will rise to 60hz. Should start to improve things.

Thanks. I'll try this later and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Intel® HD Graphics 620, can do 4K60 over DP but not HDMI.

Windows scaling sucks so I'd be setting scale to 100% and res to 1440p anyways.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

That worked for me. Mouse lag gone now and running more smoothly.

Thanks again for tip.

Advertisement