Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muscle building at home

• 13-10-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

I've been given a barbell and two dumbbells and want to use them at home.

I had intended to do bodyweight training only but having the weights now can do a mixture of both.

Couple of questions:

Can anyone recommend a relevant app to use?
    Do I need to get a bench?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You don't need a bench anyway if you get creative. I got an IKEA shelf that someone was selling g for €3 and I raise using the big plates I can't lift. It's not very deep but enough to get more than just going bench on the floor. I could even make it in to an incline up against the couch :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No, you don't need to get a bench.

You can do chest flys on the floor and dumbell presses too. And triceps extensions with your barbell (I prefer to do that on the floor even in a gym, it's easier to let the weight down when your done). You just need something to put under your head to make it a bit more comfortable. A doubled up towel would do. I use a thick piece of foam from an amazon box :)

I do barbell 'bench' press using 2 chairs. No I don't mean I lift the chairs, you just rest the barbell weights on either chair and you get in the middle of them lying on the floor. My chairs have a hollow bit in the middle which is handy as they don't roll off.

You can of course dead lift with your barbell and of course shoulder presses without any other equipment. And bicep curls.
    You can also do deadlift variations with the dumbbells.

So there's loads of stuff you can do with what you've got. If by 'app' you mean something to list exercises, dunno, but I'm recommend familiarising yourself with the exercise I've mentioned. Youtube is great for that I found as a beginner.

Going forward you might want to get a pull up bar and some exercises bands which you can anchor to the pull up bar. I'd prefer you to get those than a bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For chest fly exercise I have the board raised and a band threaded underneath and let me tell you the burn is almost sickening because there is zero let up in the tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I wouldn't even be overly concerned with putting together a makeshift bench. Push ups with a tempo or with a long pause (or both) or using a band for resistance...you'll get a good workout that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You can get a bench for €50 odd in Argos that folds away neatly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement