Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and I thought for the most part that it was a cracking film. Not as good as Fury Road(although for my money the best one of the lot is Mad Max 2 The Road warrior). This film explodes out of the blocks and the pace never lets up. I'd agree that the denouement is a little lackluster but what came before that kind of makes up for any slips at the last hurdle.

Rapid. As good as Fury road imo. Although I didn't get the point of the Jack character. Just pure cinema though. Good to see after the last rubbish I'd seen in IMAX of Kong, planet of the apes and fall guys. Hopefully does well at the box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looking like it's going to be a big bomb at the box office with just $59m global weekend opening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still kind of in awe at how great the big centerpiece action scene in this is. It’s easy to overlook the simple craft of action filmmaking in this CG addled era, but the War Rig chase here is a wonder - so clear and propulsive. You get the stakes. You get the sense of space and place. It all plays out with shifting power dynamics and surprising escalations within those restrictions. Miller’s wonderful visual direction and the real sense of impact and stakes, as the score grumbles relentlessly in the background… honestly it’s maybe the best Hollywood action scene I’ve seen since Mission Impossible Fallout (though I do like a lot of the action direction in Avatar 2 too). A thrill to watch. Given many action scenes these days are second unit shot, overrendered mush, the sheer legibility and vibrancy of the crew’s work here - lots of moving parts and big effects (practical and digital), and it never loses its urgency or clarity.

Obviously loved the film as a whole (it’s only improved in my mind since Friday) and itching to watch it again at home when it’s out on disc. But that scene is like a perfect Fury Road sequel condensed into 15 minutes - and then there’s a big, expansive epic built around it :)

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think it's on par with Fury Road from a visual/action perspective, maybe even better.

It suffers the same issue as most prequels, where we know what the fate of the lead character will be at the end.

I'd agree with the comments above and have it slightly below Fury Road.

The box office figures leave me a little perplexed - is it just not landing with people, or are people waiting for it to hit streaming? Or is this just the way of the world now, that these type of films won't get the box office results they used to?

• Advertisement

I have it better than fury road on reflection. Loved the different worlds and pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭susan678

We seen it at the weekend brilliant really hit the spot.

However it looks like it's going to flop.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It should've been a TV mini-series instead. It probably would've made more money as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth pointing out re. box office that the lasting enthusiasm, word of mouth and goodwill for Fury Road belied its terrible Box Office. Can't be that surprising that a sequel to a flop is also flopping.

And that's speaking as someone who believes Fury Road a modern masterpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH it’s a miracle both this and Fury Road exist. Getting one would’ve been lucky. We should count our blessings Miller got another go at it - and delivered. Hard to get caught up in box office analysis when I can just savour that this film is as good as it is and in cinemas right now.

Also not really too fussed about whether it’s better or worse than Fury Road. One of the most admirable things here is that Miller didn’t really try to just make an exact replica of that arguably non-replicable film, and just let it be its own thing (IMO that’s what sets Mad Max 1 and 2 apart as well, and indeed Fury Road from its predecessors). It’s a really neat variation on a theme and style, and honestly I’m just happy both exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

I also rate it slightly higher than Fury Road. I loved it so much.

I am 100% going to see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Listening to the audiobook of that atm, it's just an insane story that it ever came to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Great film, anybody else cop that Elsa Pataky played 2 different characters. When I saw Mr Norton I had a feeling it was her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Sheer escapism, well worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Absolutely brilliant stuff. The action sequences are just spectacularly done and the world building is brilliantly executed. Hemsworth is great in this, plays the demented clown villain to perfection. Seen it last night and have tickets booked for tomorrow night too. Don't miss it on the big screen is my advice, just a brilliant entertaining piece of work.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Saw this today in the cinema and wow, this and Fury Road will absolutely be the subject of debate over which movie people prefer. And which movie was better. Yes there was definitely quantitatively less action but what we got were absolutely rock solid (glider motorbikes!); and the character work and world building was much more pronounced than Fury Roads relatively limited work there.

Seeing the Green Place in its pomp, lush and populated, knowing what would become of it, was the greatest tragedy really. While Hemsworth put in a fantastic performance; operatic but there was ... something in it, a little nugget of background we never got detail on. I wonder if he and Miller had private notes.

That this is bombing is a bit of a minor disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Chris Hemsworth was so entertaining to watch, i wanted to hate him but was just so charming. Great movie

I had to laugh at how he was, ultimately and intentionally, utterly incompetent and just through sheer anger and stubbornness became a thorn in everyone's side. Total empty bravado, seemed to lose half his men, and fúcked up Gastown; it was a neat twist on the idea of a big bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Reading Blood, Sweat and Chrome at the moment and he gave Theron a version of the Furiosa script to prepare her for Fury Road so I'd say there was some kind of backstory for Hemsworth's character that he got.

I went last night and loved it. Miller manages to make action films that are like philosophical meditations. It's a very different film to Fury Road but I'll definitely be going back to it.

• Advertisement

For anyone who has read / is reading Blood, Sweat and Chrome, Kyle Buchanan is the guest on this week’s Blank Check podcast about Furiosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Rightly or wrongly, and purely from my own anecdotal knowledge, people are not drawn to a Taylor-Joy led action film. I've heard a lot of Waif-Fu comments, particularly after seeing Theron play the role already.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

She's at that point where she's nearly famous enough to headline a film, but not quite. Definitely ubiquitous enough to be close to "a name", but equally Chris Hemsworth IS name enough his star power might have tempted people into the cinema.

What hadn't helped at all has been how the film is already in the digital domain, and so, on the high seas as well. That would have killed Barbie or Mario, let alone a film whose prior entry was itself a dud, financially. But like Fury Road I can see Furiosa getting a long tail in years to come.

Both films will be "mood" pieces; both eminently rewatchable, but offering different vibes to match ones mood.

$114 million worldwide after 2 weeks; we may assume Miller's not gonna get to make another Max film. Depressing stuff.

And just to really spoil everyone's Sunday: Miller's not a young man & this being Warners, they'll absolutely be eyeing up a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Best place to see furiosa in Dublin? I was going to do Cineworld IMAX screen but it's leaving tomorrow. What would be your folks recommendation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is that not great? I don't normally keep up with box office stuff. It seems insane that a belter like this is failing but we've to sit through countless hours of generic MCU shite and weak horrors while waiting for classics like this and Godzilla Minus One.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Go see tomorrow. IMAX a must. Leaving everywhere tomorrow for bad boys. I'm gonna see it again.

Is that not great?

Not remotely: the budget was 168 million and it's already on "digital" IIRC if you know what I mean; it may not even make its budget back. Garfield also did poorly opening the same weekend, but Furiosa has already dropped behind it. Fury Road only made 380 million after a month in the cinemas so it was never a smash hit itself, I'd be surprised if Furiosa spends as long, or even hits that total.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@pixelburp That this is bombing is a bit of a minor disgrace.

It's a Mad Max movie without Mad Max, so there's probably a lot of people going "meh" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Personally, I had/have zero interest in a Furiosa story, TBH, but I might head along to see this. In the mood for some post apocalypse nonsense.

• Advertisement

TBH, I care much less about Mad Max as a character - given he's largely a grunting cipher - than I do about George Miller making another film in this style and world. Frankly, he could've made this a Scrotus spin-off and I'd have been game to see what he had to offer.

The filmmaker is much more important than the franchise demands in this particular case. Maybe not in the commercial sense, but 100% in the artistic sense.

That said, I'm still not really sure what kind of box office performance Warner Bros expected by a spin-off prequel to a famously weird cult favourite. It was an insane commercial decision to give George Miller $170m to make this thing. But we got a bloody great film out of it, which is what matters.

Advertisement