Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting driver behaviour to Dublin Bus

Options
  • 13-10-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

I don't know whether I should be reporting this? It's on the steep descent into Howth village. On video it doesn't look too bad but at the time it was intimidating and frightening. I nearly fell off when I looked back and saw how close he was. He then backed off a bit but considering he was still doing about 40km/h he felt very close all the way down the hill. I would normally slow down more on that stretch of road but I was afraid to!

Link - https://streamable.com/z7meu6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is it your video, or is that you in the red?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

hurikane wrote: »
    Is it your video, or is that you in the red?
    I'm in Red!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Guy in red and bus driver probably both need a bit of a talking to.

From the face of it without the full video, it seems that there's not much situational awareness there to be doing that overtake at what seemed like red light on a busy road downhill.

That can very easily be mistimed and they're coming from a blind spot between a bus and oncoming car.

Having not driven a bus, id wonder if what they did was unsafe at all? They had just taken off from stationary position, would it have required an emergency break when the guy in red basically didn't carry their momentum at all and freewheeled.

I'd probably not report it, I'd chalk that one up as something to be aware of for both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't know whether I should be reporting this? It's on the steep descent into Howth village. On video it doesn't look too bad but at the time it was intimidating and frightening. I nearly fell off when I looked back and saw how close he was. He then backed off a bit but considering he was still doing about 40km/h he felt very close all the way down the hill. I would normally slow down more on that stretch of road but I was afraid to!

What would be the basis of your report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... It's on the steep descent into Howth village. ...
    The most disturbing part of that footage is the descending on the hoods. Each to his/her own but I would immediately feel unsafe and insecure in descending in such an upright position on a steep gradient.

From the vantage point of the camera, it difficult to tell how close the bus is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

If he was doing 40kph and you felt that was fast and you would normally slow down on that stretch then it was a poor decision to overtake the bus like you did. A bus would safely come down that hill a 50kph so why were you in a rush to pass him at the lights?

Take it on the chin and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

On my daily bike commute. Everyone is going too fast there for Howth Village tbh. I do it myself and I've had to cop on, there are far too many unseen hazards for a bus to be over 30kph and a bike to be going much faster.

On that junction I have seen roadbikes overtaking moving cars on the wrong side of the road at 60kph+ which was crazy. Lots of lads chasing KOM's maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ferris wrote: »
    On my daily bike commute. Everyone is going too fast there for Howth Village tbh. I do it myself and I've had to cop on, there are far too many unseen hazards for a bus to be over 30kph and a bike to be going much faster.

On that junction I have seen roadbikes overtaking moving cars on the wrong side of the road at 60kph+ which was crazy. Lots of lads chasing KOM's maybe?

Would agree with this 100%.

On a wider point though - Howth village is just about the only 'village' in Dublin that a cyclist could enter at 50k an hour. Lets not forget thar Sam Bennett got up to a max speed of 58k on the Champs Elysses.

On the other hand, its routine for Dublin Bus to drive through Drumcondra, Glasnevin, Raheny, Terenure, Crumlin.......take your pick....at 50k an hour. For vehicles this size in residential areas, its just way too fast.

But....... its within the law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On a wider point though - Howth village is just about the only 'village' in Dublin that a cyclist could enter at 50k an hour.
    also the Naul.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Would agree with this 100%.

On a wider point though - Howth village is just about the only 'village' in Dublin that a cyclist could enter at 50k an hour. Lets not forget thar Sam Bennett got up to a max speed of 58k on the Champs Elysses.

On the other hand, its routine for Dublin Bus to drive through Drumcondra, Glasnevin, Raheny, Terenure, Crumlin.......take your pick....at 50k an hour. For vehicles this size in residential areas, its just way too fast.

But....... its within the law.
    Have done that and a whole lot more. It's a crazy hill so worrying about what you're doing and lots of brakes are the order of the day. As for DB, 50kph is the speed limit in most of those places you've listed.

• Advertisement

And it would have been asking too much for ye to have either stopped or moved in to let him pass? More self entitled cyclists on our roads!

Good man Oscar - your inaugural post on the cycling forum - though I see from your post history that in the past you've sneered at runners, cyclists and people using public transport, while offering sympathy to a driver that was given penalty points.

They are everybody's roads pal, not just yours.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have done that and a whole lot more. It's a crazy hill so worrying about what you're doing and lots of brakes are the order of the day. As for DB, 50kph is the speed limit in most of those places you've listed.

I know its the speed limit, and I think its too fast for vehicles of that size in heavily built up areas. Especially the tendency of (most) drivers to see it as a target rather than a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Good man Oscar - your inaugural post on the cycling forum - though I see from your post history that in the past you've sneered at runners, cyclists and people using public transport, while offering sympathy to a driver that was given penalty points.

They are everybody's roads pal, not just yours.

It is everybody's road to use but it doesn't give you the right to impede others progress on it! A little courtesy is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Did the bus driver even try and overtake the cyclist? I thought the cyclist could have been in towards the kirb a little bit more. I did also think the bus driver could have been a little further back from the cyclist.

I used to deliver bread 6 mornings a week and I'd be in a similar situation often, I always gave the cyclist/cyclists plenty of room until there was a save place to pass. That bus driver seemed eager to get pass, but I dont think it's a reportable issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And it would have been asking too much for ye to have either stopped or moved in to let him pass? More self entitled cyclists on our roads!
    hello and welcome to the cycling forum.
    please read the charter, especially in reference to point 8. you are welcome to post here as long as you keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Weepsie wrote: »
    the guy in red basically didn't carry their momentum at all and freewheeled.

That's a 10% descent leading into a built up area with pedestrians milling around and cars pulling out. Anyone who put the hammer down there would need a bit of a talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I can certainly see that it would be very intimidating. While the bus is much too close in the beginning, it did back off.

I've never been on that road but it looks tricky to descend - lots of potential hazards that are made worse by the natural speed brought on by the steepness of the hill. I personally would not have overtaken the bus so that I could just take it easy. It seems weird to overtake when you know you want to slow down.

Hope you're OK. Wouldn't report this though based on what I can see in the video.

I've never been on that road but it looks tricky to descend
    it takes the fun off it. usually when i do a loop of howth, i climb from the village side and descend on the road down past the cemetery, cos you've got way better visibility and aren't descending into a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can certainly see that it would be very intimidating. While the bus is much too close in the beginning, it did back off.

If I was in a car and a bus/truck was inches from my bumper at that speed coming down that hill, I'd feel very uncomfortable. Let alone on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I found the bus drivers out there usually ok and are used to cyclists
    I’ve stopped descending into the village in Howth , I used to live out there -it’s got more dangerous over the years - Just so many things can come at you . I’ve seen way to many close calls.

Last time I cycled down that hill the cyclist ahead of me broke the red lights and was close to creaming a car coming from the left .

I tend to cycle into the village and Up the hill
    It’s safer . Howth is fantastic for cycling if you keep your wits about you and avoid busy days .

There’s a blind spot coming down the Hill towards the cemetery where traffic tend to pull out without looking properly or seeing you .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Neither the cyclist in Red or the bus driver do anything smart here. Overtaking on the outside coming upto a red light and coming through when oyu have no idea what could be comign past in front of the bus is poor road craft. Nonetheless the driver was too close to the wheel of the cyclist at one point although corrects himself quickly
    Thats just nonsense, the cyclist were at a speed as fast as traffic should be moving, possibly a bit faster even. The bus is pulling out for cars parked stupidly at the side.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    The limit is correect, not the actual speed you should be driving at in some cases though
    It is everybody's road to use but it doesn't give you the right to impede others progress on it! A little courtesy is all!
    No one was impeded.
    Did the bus driver didnt even try and overtake the cyclist? I thought the cyclist could have been in towards the kirb a little bit more. I did also think the bus driver could have been a little further back from the cyclist.

I used to deliver bread 6 mornings a week and I'd be in a similar situation often, I always gave the cyclist/cyclists plenty of room until there was a save place to pass. That bus driver seemed eager to get pass, but I don't think it's a reportable issue.
    Pretty much, the driver got too close at one point where the guy in red looked like he was about to lose control of himself but other than that, I seen no attempt at an overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Obvious point - the speed limit is 50kph no the target for the DB. As a bus passenger 50kph through the village feels way to rapid.

Cars exiting Nashville road have very limited visibility uphill, it is often that they will pull out without seeing a fast bike.
    There are two bus stops, 1 we see at the church and another outside the old credit union, that the bus driver may need to stop at.
    Also the main junction in the village is notorious for cars failing to give way.
    Add to that cars pulling out of spaces / pedestrians using / not using the pedestrian crossings.

I reiterate, 50kph is too fast downhill there - bus or bike - you cant argue with physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Guy in red and bus driver probably both need a bit of a talking to.

From the face of it without the full video, it seems that there's not much situational awareness there to be doing that overtake at what seemed like red light on a busy road downhill.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Neither the cyclist in Red or the bus driver do anything smart here. Overtaking on the outside coming upto a red light and coming through when oyu have no idea what could be comign past in front of the bus is poor road craft.

These two and that is it, thread closed.

Cyclist cop on a bit and read the road ahead. Bus driver was a bit close (but in this case could have been avoided by #1).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I've never cycled on this road, but i have had similar experiences like this with bus's in dublin city where i work. It's very intimidating when there is a bus right behind you, especially if you have obstacles in front of you aswell, but i'd imagine it's tough for a bus driver too.
    I actually changed my route and my cycle is now stress free, not sure if this is possible for you op ?
    Happy you're ok though and like others have said i wouldn't report i'd just try move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I think that's a reportable offence.
    The driver is way too close for safety, even when he backs off, he's too close.

I agree with earlier comments, it was a foolish overtake by the cyclists in the 1st place, but when you drive a vehicle that size, carrying passengers through an urban area your driving should be beyond reproach. This driver adopted a petty, bullying and bloody dangerous driving approach, its inexcusable.

That's a 10% descent leading into a built up area with pedestrians milling around and cars pulling out. Anyone who put the hammer down there would need a bit of a talking to.

I wasn't saying they had to out the hammer down, rather they actively seemed to be slowing down

Overtaking and immediately slowing down like that tells me it was a bad decision to overtake, particularly if you know the conditions of the road and are aware of what's behind you.

If a driver did it, I'd think the same. It's a red light, on a bend on a steep section of road that many are familiar with. Their could have been traffic coming from Asgard road too which you wouldn't be able to see when starting the maneuver.

It's also a solid white line, so overtaking just shouldn't be done anyway there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

40 km/h on a bike in a built up area feels pretty quick, but it doesn't feel that fast in a bus.
    I doubt the bus driver felt he was doing much wrong.
    If you're worried that the driver could have flattened you if you'd come off at that speed, perhaps you were also moving too quickly?

From my perspective, both weren't driving / cycling defensively.
    Not sure why the first reaction is always to report these things. You could have had a calm chat with the driver at the next bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's also a solid white line, so overtaking just shouldn't be done anyway there.

thats a fair point, driver did get a bit close for a short period but you shouldnt have passed in the first place, and it would have been safer for you not to.

Driver definitely got quite close, key point regarding the overtake is whether the driver indicated out - I wouldnt see a problem with the overtake unless the bus was indicating out. Not really visible on the film.

• Advertisement

Driver definitely got quite close, key point regarding the overtake is whether the driver indicated out - I wouldnt see a problem with the overtake unless the bus was indicating out. Not really visible on the film.

It's stopped at a red light. At a junction, on a bend. It's a bad place to overtake.

If a vehicle attempted that when I was descending there I'd be seething.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement