Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting driver behaviour to Dublin Bus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lurching wrote: »
    If you're worried that the driver could have flattened you if you'd come off at that speed, perhaps you were also moving too quickly?
    That makes no sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

km991148 wrote: »
    These two and that is it, thread closed.

Cyclist cop on a bit and read the road ahead. Bus driver was a bit close (but in this case could have been avoided by #1).

One does not excuse the other

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is little point in reporting the driver ime. Nothing will ever come of it unless the Gardai were involved and there was no actual injury. I have reported drivers a couple of times before and never even received a response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is little point in reporting the driver ime. Nothing will ever come of it unless the Gardai were involved and there was no actual injury. I have reported drivers a couple of times before and never even received a response.

Not true all complaints to any CIE company are investigated and looked into. Did you take note of route number, time of incident, direction, fleet number which can be found at the front and back of every bus (eg. SG298 or AX625) or reg plate. Just because you did not hear back does not mean your complaint was not investigated.

Also what happens to driver in question will never be disclosed due to GDPR. The results of an internal investigation will not be disclosed. If the driver was dismissed, made go on a training course, warned about his/her behaviour or was found to be in the right is between the company, the driver and possibly the drivers trade union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

km991148 wrote: »
    These two and that is it, thread closed.

Cyclist cop on a bit and read the road ahead. Bus driver was a bit close (but in this case could have been avoided by #1).
    CramCycle wrote: »
    One does not excuse the other

Of course not - but better cycling (driving, whatever) involves avoiding sticky situations in the first place.

Why put yourself in that position?

The poster is considering taking action by reporting to DB - fine go for it - but separably there is more immediate (and effective) action that can be taken and that to look at their own behaviour as well.

(EDIT - I re read my original post - it was meant as a short summary of the other posts, not linking driver and cyclist behaviour or or trying to show cause/effect or victim blame etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Not much wrong there. The problem with reporting this type of incident to Dublin Bus is it becomes a problem when genuine reports are made of actual dangerous driving and they will be thinking "ffs cyclists again complaining".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

The general concensus seems to revolve around my actions.

Because I chose to cycle to the front of a row of stationary traffic at a red light (which I usually do by the way), that this somehow entitles the professional driver of a Dublin Bus, with responsibility for his passengers as well as pedestrians and other road users, to set himself up as judge, jury (and potentially executioner) and set out to administer justice as he sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Because I chose to cycle to the front of a row of stationary traffic at a red light (which I usually do by the way), that this somehow entitles the professional driver of a Dublin Bus, with responsibility for his passengers as well as pedestrians and other road users, to set himself up as judge, jury (and potentially executioner) and set out to administer justice as he sees fit.

Nothing happened.. grow a pair and get over it.

The most disturbing part of that footage is the descending on the hoods.

When descending behind someone it is better to adopt an upright position or you'll tend to quickly gain on them. It's either that or sit on the brakes or take a completely different line to them. You only need to be in the drops on a technical descent, which that certainly isn't, or for heavy braking.

Sorry it disturbed you more than the 10 tonnes of metal hurtling down a 10% incline about 3 feet behind me at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

You did this on the wrong side of the road, at a junction, just because it’s something you usually do, it doesn’t make it right. Also there’s no point in being in the right and dead, be more careful.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    Not true all complaints to any CIE company are investigated and looked into. Did you take note of route number, time of incident, direction, fleet number which can be found at the front and back of every bus (eg. SG298 or AX625) or reg plate. Just because you did not hear back does not mean your complaint was not investigated.

I think I should report it. Do you know how I can lodge a complaint and supply the video?

hurikane wrote: »
    You did this on the wrong side of the road, at a junction, just because it’s something you usually do, it doesn’t make it right. Also there’s no point in being in the right and dead, be more careful.

Why don't you elaborate on whatever point you're making here. If you're saying that the bus driver's behaviour was as a result of me illegally overtaking him then that's all the more reason why he shouldn't be driving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

your original post was asking for opinions about if you should report this etc --- but judging by this post you weren't really asking for opinions but just looking for support for your opinions.

feel free to contact AGS and Dublin Bus - that is your right - but as you can see here not everyone will agree with your version of being Judge, Jury and Executioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There are a lot of cyclists on this thread, and most would feel you were wrong to overtake at a red light; can only speak for myself but I would never do that.

By all means report if you wish, but in the interest of fairness you would also have to answer for this.

To be honest - the overtaking at the Red is more clear cut than the other - the camera is too far away, for example the argument could be made that the cyclist slowed rather than the bus acclerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

So, essentially, you MGIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I have twice reported bus drivers (once as a cyclist and once as a passenger).

My complaint as a cyclist was a bus driver behaving aggressively in a bus lane including beeping and uncomfortably close. I did pull in and then he stopped to shout at me “you should be cycling on the ****ing path. this is a bus lane”. Bus Éireann got back to me to indicate they had reviewed the footage and that he would receive training and they take cyclist safety very seriously. I got the sense he was a bit of a bollix and they were glad of the complaint.

I probably could have reported many other times for going through red lights endangering pedestrians but I don’t have the energy to follow up on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Why don't you elaborate on whatever point you're making here. If you're saying that the bus driver's behaviour was as a result of me illegally overtaking him then that's all the more reason why he shouldn't be driving a bus.

self entitled cyclists ... there should be some proper fines issued for the entitled cyclists who think they can cycle through red lights, pay no caution or care for other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. I think from your posting and the video, we can determine that you shouldn’t be on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

I'd say that was pretty intimidating, especially coming down a steep descent like that one. The bus driver should have given you a bit of space to be safe.

But I think your positioning could have been better. If you're just about to go down a steep descent and want to make sure you avoid danger on it, it would be better to stay behind the bus, instead of overtaking it and sitting just in front of it for the descent.

You could report the driver and that's fair, but you were a little reckless too. Even though you're the vulnerable road user in that situation, you can't overlook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Don't be so defensive here, it's not an attack, nor is it linking driver behaviour with your behaviour. They are both pretty poor, for different reasons.

If we could speak to the driver, he would probably be told to back off.

That can't happen, so instead, people are appealing to you to cycle a little more safely, for your own safety.
    You presented evidence where you speared to be oblivious to the events leading to your problematic experience. Even if the bus was a few meters back, it's probably still going to end badly if you fell off. So people are just saying read the road ahead a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: And that's enough of this now, OP you have gotten several answers and opinions on the situation.
    New posters please pay a visit to our charter here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113049 and post 8 in particular.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not that, it's that from this video I find your cycling a bit unpredictable. Overtaking at a red on a blind junction, on a downhill bend and then very quickly slowing down when the bus is only revving up to speed and then having to break due to the unpredictability.

You said it yourself that it's a 10% incline. It's a foolish overtake and you've placed yourself in a spot of bother due to very poor situational awareness.

Driver wasn't right obviously, but they perhaps assumed that such was your speed going around them that you'd maintain it to some degree. You're assuming they did it out of malice, rather, but I'd say it's carelessness and working under the assumption that the traffic ahead is behaving in a predictable manner, which it wasn't, except for whomever is recording it

Sorry eeeee, was righting this before you posted yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement