Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Northern Ireland circuit breaker news

And then you read the actual news report and not much changing and basically what's happening here - hardly a circuit breaker

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-northern-ireland-set-to-impose-circuit-breaker-lockdown-for-four-weeks-12103640

(could you not just post the link?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

fritzelly wrote: »
    And then you read the actual news report and not much changing and basically what's happening here - hardly a circuit breaker

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-northern-ireland-set-to-impose-circuit-breaker-lockdown-for-four-weeks-12103640

They're closing schools.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Listowel Races in Kerry went ahead, wonder how many cases from that, is that where the Gardai and Fire Brigade meet up
    Nothing to do with the Listowel Races. The cases in the past few weeks have been in the south of the county, there's definitely been an outbreak in Kenmare and it was the worst of the county in the past few weeks.

I don't know where the new hotspots are in the past week or so but they are far too recent to have anything to do with the Listowel Races.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

fritzelly wrote: »

Churches can stay open for services, unlike the south - no doubt that was a condition to the DUP agreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

s1ippy wrote: »
    They're closing schools.

Yep two weeks at midterm, won't be over in four weeks either not long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Yep two weeks at midterm, won't be over in four weeks either not long enough.

And will be just in time for Halloween parties and Bonfire night parties etc ...might be worse off afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

s1ippy wrote: »
    They're closing schools.

For a whole 2 weeks

Isn't the circuit breaker idea a hard sharp lockdown? That's not what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Any restrictions on them venturing across the border while they're in their circuit breaker? The Gardai won't/can't do anything at all to them, whatever little they might do about Irish residents..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I think that's a good idea but would only work if we enrolled Bill Gates as supreme leader for a period of no more than 2 years. Kinda like that fella George Mitchell. :pac:

That guy? So he can sell our island from underneath our feet? Possibly with us included?
    I do not understand this affection with rich people. He is just another billionaire who found loophole how to get even more rich. Instead of paying taxes on money he makes he donate them to companies he outright own or where he is shareholder so in the end he practically donate money to himself. When companies come with product he is making sure it sells so he make multiple times more he "donated". And the circle of fun repeats itself year after year.

https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/bill-gates-investments-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I was in the city centre the other day around lunch time, and there were approx 50-60 14-18 year olds littered around the immediate vicinity of a Tesco, eating breakfast rolls, in groups of 15,10, 6 no masks obviously.

I just don’t see how we won’t need stop-start lockdowns for another year at least at this rate, but the country will be in financial ruin. What is the plan?

Anyone that trusts that our politicians have a plan is deluded. It’s kick the can down the road, spend billions and then blame someone else when the country is in ruins in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

patnor1011 wrote:
    That guy? So he can sell our island from underneath our feet? Possibly with us included? I do not understand this affection with rich people. He is just another billionaire who found loophole how to get even more rich. Instead of paying taxes on money he makes he donate them to companies he outright own or where he is shareholder so in the end he practically donate money to himself. When companies come with product he is making sure it sells so he make multiple times more he "donated". And the circle of fun repeats itself year after year.

He's trying to make the foundation self sustaining, particularly for after he's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well SAGE committee think schools and universities closing has the largest impact on reducing numbers and the R number.

Very good document detailing what the NPHET equivalent in UK think the impact of various measures has on the epidemic.

No easy options.

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1316137945594822656?s=20

Whoops Caveat, didnt see the twitter post as the link didnt expand at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

patnor1011 wrote: »
    That guy? So he can sell our island from underneath our feet? Possibly with us included?
    I do not understand this affection with rich people. He is just another billionaire who found loophole how to get even more rich. Instead of paying taxes on money he makes he donate them to companies he outright own or where he is shareholder so in the end he practically donate money to himself. When companies come with product he is making sure it sells so he make multiple times more he "donated". And the circle of fun repeats itself year after year.

https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/bill-gates-investments-covid/

You are right demote him to health minister. Our plan is clearly not working and is leading to a lot of unemployed people etc and severe strain on hospitals. Couldn't care who was in charge as long has they had the following
    • integrity,
    • accountability
    • an ability to make hard decisions
    • empathy for people

Our leaders are in the positions precisely because they don't have these qualities. When asked who is responsible for the impact of a decision they respond "It's the virus' fault".

We have had time, we had a lull but we failed to prepare adequately. Failure to plan, prepare to fail. We are not really making any decisions and approaching our second lockdown. Saying schools will remain open no matter what is extremely fool hardy.

Northern Ireland didn't want to lockdown but when hospitals get overwhelmed your degrees of freedom in what decisions you can make are severely reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

France the latest European country today to announce new measures including likely city curfews. Macron addressing the country later.

On NI it seems half assed, close schools but churches and gyms stay open. That makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I am fairly confident in predicting that the mid-term break will be extended for 2-3 weeks in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I am fairly confident in predicting that the mid-term break will be extended for 2-3 weeks in Ireland.

Closing Friday up the north

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

France the latest European country today to announce new measures including likely city curfews. Macron addressing the country later.

On NI it seems half assed, close schools but churches and gyms stay open. That makes no sense to me.

In what context does it seem 'half assed'?...perhaps the professionals have reviewed the data from contact tracers and discussed experience in other countries with their international counterparts and determined that churches and gyms do not pose a significant risk of transmission? For example, in the Republic, gyms can only open for individual training and outdoor classes. Additionally, there has been (in the gym I attend anyway) significant investment in staff and products to ensure continual cleaning of all equipment as well as increased distancing between machines and limits on the number of people in weights rooms. Compliance, anecdotally at least, looks to be very high as those there are keen to ensure it can stay open and wipe down equipment diligently after every use. Add all of this to the benefits both physically and mentally of gyms remaining open and their decision actually seems very considered and smart, in my opinion.

Given this pandemic will likely continue into 2021, I think it is important that nuanced and specific restrictions are applied based on facts and research into where the virus is likely to spread as opposed to applying an economic and mental health destroying sledge hammer. After all, we need to learn to 'Live with Covid', right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hang on Nostradamus, this was going around watsapp about a month ago.

and i thought they already confirmed they wouldnt be extending. .although that has never stopped the idiots from changing decisions right after making them..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You can bet on it. Despite all the denials from the department of Education, it will happen.
    It's the worst run department in government. I don't blame the minister for that, it has always been that way.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is this a wish, wanting to be proved right or driven by some form of logic? Schools closures are off limit in our COVID strategy so far and the break is a week and a half away anyway. There will be cases but data suggests they are a small part of the current numbers.

• Advertisement

You can bet on it. Despite all the denials from the department of Education, it will happen.
    It's the worst run department in government. I don't blame the minister for that, it has always been that way.
    It's a MM/Donnelly/government call. She's just a face and a title.

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's important to flag the possibility nice and early. Being less populated regions makes it a slightly easier decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a MM/Donnelly/government call. She's just a face and a title.

I know but the story very leaked from the Dept of Education I believe. People thought it was another kite.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's important to flag the possibility nice and early. Being less populated regions makes it a slightly easier decision to make.

NPHET are meeting tomorrow. They could in theory reccomend more restrictions then and maybe have them from Friday night when NI may have them from too. Not a huge amount of notice either way. Think Varadkar just wants to be the one breaking the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

One of the best speeches I have ever heard. Everything he speaks is the truth. Say what you want about him it's not relevant as all he speaks in this speech are bare facts.
    https://youtu.be/EcTZYiId0W4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

GT89 wrote: »
    One of the best speeches I have ever heard. Everything he speaks is the truth. Say what you want about him it's not relevant as all he speaks in this speech are bare facts.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In the UK Liverpool ICU use now at capacity so why not...

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1316138659758960641

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1316289970760568832

Actually 95% as of this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

GT89 wrote: »

Is that the little cosplay Nazi?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement