Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I am fairly confident in predicting that the mid-term break will be extended for 2-3 weeks in Ireland.

And then till Christmas if cases don't come down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Boggles wrote: »
    Yes. All 3 feet of him is very wrong.

Eh in his high heels maybe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

s1ippy wrote: »
    How can they possibly know distancing was correct? What about fomites in work, surfaces you may have touched? What about the fact that it stays in the air for some time and you can inhale it from that??

Shambolic. Are the family still all feeling well? Hope you're a bit better today.

They can't. But I'd say they are so up the walls busy they just don't want to know about complex contact tracing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Necro wrote: »
    They can't. But I'd say they are so up the walls busy they just don't want to know about complex contact tracing tbh.

How are you feeling today Necro is you don't mind me asking.

I know you had said the other night that your chest was a bit tight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I've had no symptoms whatsoever since Monday evening. Still taking it easy but seem to be over the worst of it anyways. Eldest is a bit asthmatic the last day or so, hoping it's not related but we will find out next week as all four of us are being retested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

MD1990 wrote: »
    I just dont understand why there there is no promotion for people to improve diet,obesity & general health.

Surely people would be more motivated than ever. If we had a much healthier nation we wouldn't need lockdowns

100% this or a national ad campaign on how vitamin D helps the immune system reactive rather than pro active on this island.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

So essentially equivalent to level 3 with an extra 5 school holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I just dont understand why there there is no promotion for people to improve diet,obesity & general health.

Surely people would be more motivated than ever. If we had a much healthier nation we wouldn't need lockdowns

I remember during the lockdown, the country went mad. Everyone was doing all sorts of mad exercises in random places.

Even I myself was doing a HIIT circuit of squats, jumping jacks etc etc.

Everyone also became a cyclist. I guess all of the above won't happen during our winter months during out next lockdown.

Yeah I've had no symptoms whatsoever since Monday evening. Still taking it easy but seem to be over the worst of it anyways. Eldest is a bit asthmatic the last day or so, hoping it's not related but we will find out next week as all four of us are being retested.

Pleased to hear of your progress, and you're correct to double-check if any family member is infected. Covid is no joke, despite the efforts of some on here to trivialise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Marty Bird wrote: »
    100% this or a national ad campaign on how vitamin D helps the immune system reactive rather than pro active on this island.

The vitamin D one is just crazy. I was speaking with a client who lives in Germany and she didn’t know what I was talking about when I mentioned VIT D deficiency with COVID being a potential factor that could make a dose worse.

It’s cheap and easily available for everybody. Even if it only helps 1% of patients , why wouldn’t you just recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

polesheep wrote: »
    Governments need to start thinking about how to deal with Covid without having this section of society (young people) onboard, because they've moved on. No amount of blaming, shaming or wheeling out 'long-covid' young people on the Late Late Show will change that fact. The strategy has to evolve.

Pubs and restaurants are closed over there now. They might not care but they take the consequences and more restrictions on their own lives at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So essentially equivalent to level 3 with an extra 5 school holidays

For now, but why are they closing schools at all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Shops remain open, pubs to be take away only and an extra week off school for the mid term.

Probably not enough to reduce transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Pubs and restaurants are closed over there now. They might not care but they take the consequences and more restrictions on their own lives at the end of the day.

They'll find other ways to party. To continue as though you either have or can, get that social section onboard, is akin to the charge of the Light Brigade - a hopeless cause. As I said, the strategy has to evolve. We're not seeing any thinking outside of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Strange isn't it, i mean we all know schools are covid free as there's nothing ever on the news about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

school closures make no sense:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

GT89 wrote: »
    Is he wrong?

He is of course. A complete crock of drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hospital figures reduced by 6 this morning

They'll find other ways to party. To continue as though you either have or can, get that social section onboard, is akin to the charge of the Light Brigade - a hopeless cause. As I said, the strategy has to evolve. We're not seeing any thinking outside of the box.

I agree. Let's start by asking them where they think the cut off age should be for life saving intervention due to overwhelmed hospitals? Should it be 70 years of age? 75? 80?

Let's have an open discussion of the trade off with them. When Italian doctors were deciding who lives and dies the young people in Italy never got to have their say.

With ICU's filling up in places like northern England I think it's only fair their voices are heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gael23 wrote: »

Have we peaked?

Was spring K2 or Mt Everest, or just Mount Blanc!

This has not been updated yet?

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wednesday tends to be the main discharge day

Northern Ireland has a current case rate of nearly 3 times ours. They are currently at the equivalent of 2,500 cases a day in the south and have 15% +positives. They also have very poor compliance relative to south of the border

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The big problem here is that we are accepting the idea that young people have "moved on" and aren't willing to accept the restrictions. People talk about young people and college students as though they are children. It's time people realised that they are adults and have a social responsibility to adhere to the regulations just like everyone else.

People are quick enough to point to their rights but how about we start to also focus on their responsibilities

Strange isn't it, i mean we all know schools are covid free as there's nothing ever on the news about them.

Who has ever said schools are covid free? Just that schools reflect society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There is plenty of schools with cases, how do we know? Because its in the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Contact tracing is a bit of a mess alright.

They finally rang me yesterday so I gave them my close contacts. Didn't want to know about where I might have picked it up, only the 48hrs prior to my first symptoms.

So that meant my family and my workplace. Further call from public health nurse in Letterkenny, asking about distancing etc in the workplace, layout of desks and canteen etc. which is all done very well.

Chatting my manager then a few hours later, she got the call and was told nobody at work was being treated as a close contact as distancing was correct.

Yet... a number of staff got pinged by the Covid App and were already out being tested/isolating as a result of that.

Which makes the whole thing a bit of a clusterfcuk tbh.

Distancing? Covid is airborne. This two metre shyte doesn't matter when it's airborne. Imagine your breathe as cigarette smoke filling a room (that's why opening windows is so important).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Shops remain open, pubs to be take away only and an extra week off school for the mid term.

Probably not enough to reduce transmission.

... but yet our media are calling it a full lockdown in NI. Yet it's in some ways less restrictive than we have (churches).

I hate the way the media are spouting unchallenged nonsense through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We can be as healthy as we like, but this virus will still skittle the over-65s.

The lockdowns are trying to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed. The majority of those in hospital and ICU for Covid are 55+ and 65+, respectively.

There is no amount of exercise that prevents old age. It can help, sure, but ultimately 6 months of getting out for walks cannot undo a lifetime of poor choices, and cannot compensate for the aging process.

Promotion of healthy diets and exercise will certainly be good for fighting the next pandemic. But will be fvck all use for this one.
    Have we peaked?

Was spring K2 or Mt Everest, or just Mount Blanc!
    Potentially, but too early to say I think. The next two weeks are critical ;)
    school closures make no sense:D
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but from being out and about (driving) on Saturday evening and seeing roving gangs of teenagers, my gut feeling is that school closures would actually be a disaster from a containment point of view.

At least with schools open there is an upper limit to the number of contacts that kids have, and a de facto curfew. With schools closed, kids will be out with their mates 7 nights a week, with no controls on who they're meeting or for how long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement