Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Media is all over school cases.

Now that pubs are closed schools are the obsession of many. I expect these people will move on to other things once schools are closed. To what ends i have no idea - will leaving our homes become the next issue to restrict?

Schools have cases because cases are in the community.

School children live in the community.

I can't understand why people ignore this fact, willfully i suspect.

To me it looks like the rest of the country is now dragging Dublin back up. Probably due to the volumes who still need to travel into the city on a daily basis. Dublin has fallen to 11th on the national picture and in another couple of days will be below the national average. The rest of the country got complacent and smug to an extent through September and continued as if there was nothing to worry about. Another 7 days with no reduction in growth nationally would be an indicator L3 doesn't work

529225.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

There's been numerous examples of how of after match GAA celebrations that have led to muliple infections in a matter of hours - are there any such examples for schools? Especially given the close proximity to each other for days on end, not just a few hours?

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of spread within schools but it's not going to stop the hysterics over schools continuing I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not closing shops in NI is the right measure as its just costly for the state and doesn't have much of an effect on the numbers. Hope to see that removed from our levels beyond 3.

Distancing? Covid is airborne. This two metre shyte doesn't matter when it's airborne. Imagine your breathe as cigarette smoke filling a room (that's why opening windows is so important).

It does matter. The main transmission route is close contact. This is how the vast majority of transmissions occur, and it is these transmissions than provide the biggest opportunity to reduce the numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

mollser wrote: »
    There's been numerous examples of how of after match GAA celebrations that have led to muliple infections in a matter of hours - are there any such examples for schools? Especially given the close proximity to each other for days on end, not just a few hours?

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of spread within schools but it's not going to stop the hysterics over schools continuing I guess!

There's no evidence that the border counties are impacted by Northern Ireland but it's fairly safe to assume so.

In schools if someone tests positive no other student or teacher is deemed a close contact so there's no testing, instead little Johnny, Susan and Mary all from the same class have symptoms and are tested, they're positive and so are their families, this will be be put down as a home transmission.

Could it have been caught in school, absolutely, will it be labeled as that, absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Oranage2 wrote: »
    There's no evidence that the border counties are impacted by Northern Ireland but it's fairly safe to assume so.

In schools if someone tests positive no other student or teacher is deemed a close contact so there's no testing, instead little Johnny, Susan and Mary all from the same class have symptoms and are tested, they're positive and so are their families, this will be be put down as a home transmission.

Could it have been caught in school, absolutely, will it be labeled as that, absolutely not.

The theory is fine. However if this was happening in practice, there would be clusters popping up all over the place around schools as it gets back into the home. As far as I can see, the clusters are related to parties, nursing homes and people generally acting the bolli$ - i'm not seeing any evidence at all that schools are causing it.

We have one class all being tested after one case found, will see what comes of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Media is all over school cases.

Now that pubs are closed schools are the obsession of many. I expect these people will move on to other things once schools are closed. To what ends i have no idea - will leaving our homes become the next issue to restrict?

Schools have cases because cases are in the community.

School children live in the community.

I can't understand why people ignore this fact, willfully i suspect.

Do you think that there is a focus on schools just because there are cases in them, that people aren't aware that there will be cases in schools when the virus is in their communities, an eventuality that has been clearly flagged since before the schools returned in late August?

Or perhaps could it be that they are in focus because there are still some unanswered questions about the how much the virus is spreading within schools and how much it is spreading in the community due to schools?

All this against the backdrop of "schools must open, end of", "schools are highly controlled environments" ,"bubbles and pods" etc. etc. and lots of admittedly anecdotal evidence that the tracing of cases within schools has been less than optimal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In Europe

Poland has recorded a record rise in cases (over 6,000) and hospitals are "becoming overloaded" according to the Guardian. 116 new deaths there.

Russia also a new record rise in cases for them.

Germany over 5,000 new cases for first time since April and 43 new deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/oct/14/coronavirus-live-news-restrictions-tighten-across-europe-global-cases-near-38m

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭vafankillar

The northern ireland restrictions are almost perfectly designed to not fit into any of our levels. Weird mix of 2,3, and 4.

If ireland goes to level 4 (only supermarkets open) while the north, nearly all retail open. That's a recipe for disaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Boggles wrote: »
    Does it matter you think Nazi wannabes are making great speeches?

Not to me.

I think the purpose of the link without any description was to get people to click on it. Anybody who did is now on some list somewhere. :pac:

It reminded me of that other link a few weeks ago that I luckily identified before clicking on it. I'd say a few people could have lost jobs over it. :rolleyes:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

To me it looks like the rest of the country is now dragging Dublin back up. Probably due to the volumes who still need to travel into the city on a daily basis. Dublin has fallen to 11th on the national picture and in another couple of days will be below the national average. The rest of the country got complacent and smug to an extent through September and continued as if there was nothing to worry about. Another 7 days with no reduction in growth nationally would be an indicator L3 doesn't work

Agree, and would be optimistic that the whole country being on level 3 will drag Dublin down again.

Yes, it has updated. 234 is the correct total this morning. 12 hospital admissions over the past 24 hours, which is the lowest since 6th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

What do you call dirt that doesn't contain any bacteria or viruses and helps to build up your immune system?

A victimless grime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

Government to decide on further restrictions for Cavan and Monaghan later

https://www.northernsound.ie/government-to-decide-on-further-restrictions-for-cavan-and-monaghan-later/

Seen this coming after the announcement in NI

Yes, it has updated. 234 is the correct total this morning. 12 hospital admissions over the past 24 hours, which is the lowest since 6th October.

The figures have not changed there since yesterday. They are the same as when I checked yesterday evening. It also says it was last updated yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

growleaves wrote: »
    What do you call dirt that doesn't contain any bacteria or viruses and helps to build up your immune system?

A victimless grime.

Looking forward to all the covid-themed christmas cracker jokes this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In schools if someone tests positive no other student or teacher is deemed a close contact so there's no testing

This is just not true... certainly not for primary schools where children are grouped in pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rte all over reporting lockdowns and restrictions in Europe, that gives the green light to our politicians to have another lockdown.

When it comes to 'fighting' covid we don't have much imagination, restrictions restrictions restrictions.

The figures have not changed there since yesterday. They are the same as when I checked yesterday evening. It also says it was last updated yesterday.

Look at the chart - it shows 14th October, 234 cases. It was 240 yesterday morning, and 230 yesterday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

Correct. When I checked last night before bed they are the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It does matter. The main transmission route is close contact. This is how the vast majority of transmissions occur, and it is these transmissions than provide the biggest opportunity to reduce the numbers

Not according to this scientist. Aerosols is the main way this is spread. But no doubt this will be ignored and put down.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/02/1009235/this-scientist-made-a-google-doc-to-educate-the-public-about-airborne-coronavirus-transmission/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2zyvRSV_JMVmkK72g8SgoJOI-qzmJLV89tUHtmW_0fDcVrvOqdnqhRRK4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The northern ireland restrictions are almost perfectly designed to not fit into any of our levels. Weird mix of 2,3, and 4.

If ireland goes to level 4 (only supermarkets open) while the north, nearly all retail open. That's a recipe for disaster

The annual pilgrimage people make to Newry in November will be helpful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

amber2 wrote: »
    Local secondary school here, there has been transmission between close contacts within the student population, no contract tracing what so ever from the HSE only parents ringing each other advising of the positive test and recommending their child gets tested, shambles.

To be honest a much more decentralised approach would be much more effective.
    School principals be told that they are responsible for contacting parents in the event. Keep it simple keep it stupid. This would foster trust and the principal would be accountable to parents for the decisions as they are other health and safety decisions. If parents don't like it they can simply call / email and voice concerns.

Kid in class infected, once principal informed then whole class contacted by app to self isolate for 10 days. Rest of school carries on.

The decision to only allow public health to do this function has led to them being overwhelmed as we don't have the necessary numbers to handle it. It was purely political given the "you can take our jobs but you'll never take our school" approach in the pandemic plan.

Schools deal with other outbreaks such as lice and winter vomiting bug effectively. Right now they are simply not empowered.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QULNVJCLR2IKQSf3iR/source.gif

Boggles wrote: »
    Does it matter you think Nazi wannabes are making great speeches?

Not to me.

He does seem to attract a lot of arseholes and conspiracy theory believers*; Using small words and the everything is someone else's fault mantra helps.

* Being a conspiracy theory believer doesn't always mean a person is also an araehole and vice versa.

The atmospheric chemist's conclusion is because of super spreader events, its all aerosols, but most people don't catch it in super spreader events

Look at the chart - it shows 14th October, 234 cases. It was 240 yesterday morning, and 230 yesterday evening.

It explicitly states on the page and the charts the data was last updated yesterday. I remember I checked it yesterday evening and it the same as now.

I'm not saying you're wrong BTW but I know what I saw yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

It's happening a lot. A local secondary had 4 positive cases and no close contacts.

Another letter from school stated that because the child was only present and contagious for 1 day and kids and adults were wearing masks, there were deemed no close contacts.

In primary if a child hasn't been in school in 48 hours they're deemed to have no close contacts. What's this 14 day thing we've been living with for the last 6 months all about then?
    mloc123 wrote: »
    This is just not true... certainly not for primary schools where children are grouped in pods.

To be honest a much more decentralised approach would be much more effective.
    School principals be told that they are responsible for contacting parents in the event. Keep it simple keep it stupid. This would foster trust and the principal would be accountable to parents for the decisions as they are other health and safety decisions. If parents don't like it they can simply call / email and voice concerns.

Kid in class infected, once principal informed then whole class contacted by app to self isolate for 10 days. Rest of school carries on.

The decision to only allow public health to do this function has led to them being overwhelmed as we don't have the necessary numbers to handle it. It was purely political given the "you can take our jobs but you'll never take our school" approach in the pandemic plan.

Schools deal with other outbreaks such as lice and winter vomiting bug effectively. Right now they are simply not empowered.

Agree with this. Responsibility should be held locally. Large companies internal contact tracing is already accepted by public health once they are happy with the process used. No reason this should not apply in schools

• Advertisement

It explicitly states on the page and the charts the data was last updated yesterday. I remember I checked it yesterday evening and it the same as now.

I'm not saying you're wrong BTW but I know what I saw yesterday.

If you look in the Data and Services Sections, and then the Covid19AcuteHospitalHistoricSummaryOpenData time series, you can see the full daily data. It shows 240 cases as at 13th October, 234 cases as at 14th October (today).

I'm not saying you're wrong either, I'm just saying I'm right :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement