Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭pauldry

There may have been smugness but every country in Europe then seems to have had it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

pauldry wrote: »
    There may have been smugness but every country in Europe then seems to have had it

yeah, it's a smugdemic alright

masks help, but you can still see the smugness in people's eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

;)
    JDD wrote: »
    Seriously need to close hotels, airbnbs and guesthouses in the border counties at the very least. Can't you see NI families booking rooms in Bundoran and Carlingford now that they have an extended mid-term break? I'm not saying everyone in NI would think that way, but there would be enough who have bought into the narrative that the virus is overhyped, and the hotels in the border counties, like the rest of ireland, are desperate for guests. They won't turn them down if bookings are made.

most are closed at this point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

529249.png

It's even clearer when you throw it on a log graph and add a trendline

529250.png

I hoped you removed Dublin, that's a strict no smugness zone.

Sure twas those whores in Kerry who reseeded the virus up there with their commute to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rosiem wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Louth is also considered for these restrictions I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere ?
    It shouldn't be, it's near the bottom end of cases per 100K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think we need to consider putting border counties on level 5 to protect rest of country

We can’t have Nordies coming to hotels in the south on their holidays

I dont think having the border counties at a higher level than the north is a good plan, all it will do is encourage people from this side of the border over into the north where there are lower restrictions (for shopping ect) and way more cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Boggles wrote: »
    Why would you expect that?

I'm not saying you will be right or wrong, but chances are we haven't seen the large case load from the past week manifest into hospitalizations yet.

I agree - hospitalisations will increase over the next week, but I'm hopeful they stabilise thereafter. This is what has happened in Dublin (from a hospitalisation perspective) so very optimistic we'll see the same outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's kind of nonsense that the border counties could be moved to level 4/5 just because the North have finally pulled the finger out and imposed the sorts of restrictions the border counties are already under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

School in westmeath 6 teachers have the coronavirus and over 30 students and that number increasing with results coming back. Schools shut in the north but a few miles over the border the schools in Donegal louth Monaghan Cavan are all wide open. Makes no sense whatsoever at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

;)

most are closed at this point anyway

Dunno about that. Just did a quick search on booking.com for both Bundoran and Carlingford, and it seems there's plenty of availability.

It sucks for counties that have low infection rates, but if we let all the nordies flood over the border in Louth and Leitrim, they'll be hotspots in two weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Sonny678 wrote: »
    School in westmeath 6 teachers have the coronavirus and over 30 students and that number increasing with results coming back. Schools shut in the north but a few miles over the border the schools in Donegal louth Monaghan Cavan are all wide open. Makes no sense whatsoever at any level.

Yes it does. There is an argument for closing schools but there is also a sensible argument for keeping them open.

I agree - hospitalisations will increase over the next week, but I'm hopeful they stabilise thereafter. This is what has happened in Dublin (from a hospitalisation perspective) so very optimistic we'll see the same outside Dublin.

What do you mean by stabilize?

Rate of growth slows?

That will depend on level of and profile of infections, and then it takes time for them to manifest into hospitalizations, which would mean you think we have peaked this week, correct?

Hopefully you are right obviously, but I don't see that in the trends TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Is that the one in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

If it was a United island..it would be 2000 cases..it would be highest in Europe anyway...so in relative terms that would be 18000 cases in UK. And even at 12000 there at moment. Its frightening.
    Puts this island into perspective!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭pauldry

how many positive swabs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we need to consider putting border counties on level 5 to protect rest of country

We can’t have Nordies coming to hotels in the south on their holidays

I'd say folks in Derry and Strabane are wishing they did the same when cases got very high in Donegal 3 or 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I dont think having the border counties at a higher level than the north is a good plan, all it will do is encourage people from this side of the border over into the north where there are lower restrictions (for shopping ect) and way more cases

Do the restrictions in the North include non-essential shops? I have to say, I wouldn't be in favour of closing non-essential shops either side of the border - even shopping centres seem low risk to me as most have high ceilings and good ventilation. As long as there isn't too many people inside any individual shops and everyone wears masks it should continue to be safe enough.

I might stretch to closing beauty salons and hairdressers though, as you spend a longer amount of time, in close contact with another person, in those outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Schools in the north are open. They will close next week and have an extended mid term break. Using your terminology our schools will be closing too for a week.

NI and ROI schools will both be closed 26th to 30th Oct and both will reopen on 2nd Nov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Do we not normally have swab data by around 3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Ficheall wrote: »
    Genuine question, which I don't know the answer to, and don't know where I could find it - did more people fail to get the course they wanted this year than in other years? I _suspect_ with the increased number of places and the leniency for covid (I think marks were slightly up overall?) that the "excess irreversible damage" is at best on a par with other years.

This year students couldn't sit the exam so comparisons to other years are meaningless. And failing to get the course you want after you've sat the exam is down to you and no one else. The damage done this year was outside of the student's control. No matter how well intentioned teachers were, they can't possible have graded everyone accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Denny61 wrote: »
    If it was a United island..it would be 2000 cases..it would be highest in Europe anyway...so in relative terms that would be 18000 cases in UK. And even at 12000 there at moment. Its frightening.

No it wouldn't, Belgium for example is over 7000 cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Do we not normally have swab data by around 3?
    can be as late as 5 some days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Boggles wrote: »
    If knee jerk means about 10 days too late, than yeah knee jerk.

How could we have known it would get bad - irish government 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure Leo's been out with that already! Those three counties are prime candidates for Level 4 with their 14 day average.

1270 swabs.

Jumped positive percentage to 6.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

1,269 pos swabs

16,126 tests

7.87% rate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Denny61 wrote: »

But you're comparing two different jurisdictions with different responses to the pandemic. You've no way of knowing what the NI figure would have been had it been an all island affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Swab data for today (14/10)

Positive Swabs|Positivity|Total Swabs
    1269|7.8%|16126

Sorry something went wrong with the website, trying to see what happened
    Edit: all good now

L0Sntgy.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement