Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ah yes, sorry I forgot withdrawals from alcohol is a threat to life.
    I hear the ICU departments are full of sober alcoholics these days...

There does seem to be a lot of functioning alcoholics about these days , noticeable by some of the replies already.

Withdrawal from alcohol is life threatening. I would expect the serious cases to be hospitalised and the not so acute cases to be sent on their way with a Librium prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

manniot2 wrote: »
    can someone please explain what the point was of wearing masks in non essential shops if we are now closing them as they are deemed to be the cause of spread?

I can. Firstly, there is flaw in your question in the assumption that non essential shops are deemed to be the cause of the spread. They are not. They are only one of many factors contributing to the spread. Being non essential, closing them is considered an lower than other options tool to reduce the spread.
    Masks also reduced the spread, and so wearing them was beneficial. But not as effective as closing them completely, which fully removes the interraction of people in that particular setting. And thus contributes to the overall interraction reduction that is now needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Has anyone been following northern Ireland enough to tell if it has flattened out at around 1k cases a day or if the capacity for testing has been hit and the testing criteria means that their positivity rate won't go up further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    They could still do with someone to point out potential political fallout and HOW they communicate information. They've advised Level 5 twice and the government are still not having it. That kind of advice becomes useless after a while.

Not their job to make it stick , or to put a spin on it .
    Their advice is out there for all to see .
    When this finally ends and those who have lost people to this virus as a result of government inaction think about taking a class action against members of or the whole of the cabinet ( it just might happen ) let's see how useless that advice really is ..for the victims families .

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

What I don't get is the anti lockdown people who are also anti vaccine? Could somebody explain to me what the hell is going through their head to be able to be both

They're normally anti anything. Will likely be vegan, love conspiracy theories and keen to try and brainwash anyone stupid enough to give them the time of day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It'll be intersting to see what they do tomorrow, wonder if they'll modify some elements of Level 4 to take account of low risk categories and make it more distinct from level 5 which would be the nuclear option. I honestly think they might be able to keep certain things open if the evidence is there to suggest no significant rise from them but there's definately a need for more restrictions as these cases are too damn high right now.
    Has anyone been following northern Ireland enough to tell if it has flattened out at around 1k cases a day or if the capacity for testing has been hit and the testing criteria means that their positivity rate won't go up further.

They only went into lockdown on Saturday we likely wont see much of a change for at least a week sadly.
    What I don't get is the anti lockdown people who are also anti vaccine? Could somebody explain to me what the hell is going through their head to be able to be both

You might not agree with it but they're what peak stupidity looks like. Braindead, full retard, pig ignorance that calls anyone who doesnt agree with them a "pedo". Honestly would easily qualify as escapees from Dundrum Mental Asylum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Not their job to make it stick , or to put a spin on it .
    Their advice is out there for all to see .
    When this finally ends and those who have lost people to this virus as a result of government inaction think about taking a class action against members of or the whole of the cabinet ( it just might happen ) let's see how useless that advice really is ..for the victims families .
    It is also their job to communicate effectively and they have not been doing that of late too well. Witness the all grand at Level 2 to shut down the country two days later. They don't operate in a vacuum but seem to think they do sometimes. Good luck with the lawsuit, it's impossible to sue a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It really annoys me when i hear this. Its like kiwis never travel or dont have airports or fly. No ship freight?

In this day and age NO.country is isolated. They just control their airports and ports.

We can too.

I'm going to have to call up on this one SeaBreezes.

Kiwis cant fly, they are a flightless bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I am certainly anti lockdown.

I am certainly not anti vaccine, I’ll be the 1st to take it, if only to be allowed return to social normality.

The reason I’m questioning the vaccine is because of the protocols that surround them and what many people think the vaccine will achieve regarding sickness and death.

“We all expect an effective vaccine to prevent serious illness if infected. Three of the vaccine protocols—Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca—do not require that their vaccine prevent serious disease only that they prevent moderate symptoms which may be as mild as cough, or headache.”

It’s likely the vaccine most likely to approved in the shortest timeframe will neither prevent serious symptoms or provide immunity.

The restrictions have suppressed the social interactions of society under the pretence they will prevent sickness and death until a vaccine is approved. Now from the information I gather, a vaccine will be unlikely to prevent sickness or death, especially so in the vulnerable, who are most likely to get sick and die.

I’m wondering at what point do we start to begin living with covid as much as safely possible, like those unethical folk in Sweden have done.

It is also their job to communicate effectively and they have not been doing that of late too well. Good luck with the lawsuit as it's impossible to sue a virus.

They have communicated effectively ..and in writing .
    Never said about suing the virus , although one would be forgiven for thinking in such derogatory terms about this government .
    The virus is completely single minded and effective and is doing the job it exists for ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I am certainly anti lockdown.

I am certainly not anti vaccine, I’ll be the 1st to take it, if only to be allowed return to social normality.

The reason I’m questioning the vaccine is because of the protocols that surround them and what many people think the vaccine will achieve regarding sickness and death.

“We all expect an effective vaccine to prevent serious illness if infected. Three of the vaccine protocols—Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca—do not require that their vaccine prevent serious disease only that they prevent moderate symptoms which may be as mild as cough, or headache.”

It’s likely the vaccine most likely to approved in the shortest timeframe will neither prevent serious symptoms or provide immunity.

The restrictions have suppressed the social interactions of society under the pretence they will prevent sickness and death until a vaccine is approved. Now from the information I gather, a vaccine will be unlikely to prevent sickness or death, especially so in the vulnerable, who are most likely to get sick and die.

I’m wondering at what point do we start to begin living with covid as much as safely possible, like those unethical folk in Sweden have done.

absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

speckle wrote: »
    I wish people would stop dividing people into anti or pro this and that. There plenty of space and people and views in between.

It’s Catholic Church bigotry tactics not seen since the 1950s.

Hypocrites trying to silence discussion about the blind religion they didn’t reason themselves into and can’t really defend it without emotional outbursts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

speckle wrote: »
    I wish people would stop dividing people into anti or pro this and that. There plenty of space and people and views in between.

Don’t be silly

You either want to destroy all business

Or

you want people to die

Middle ground!l? Pfft doesnt exist on this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Virus is rife for weeks.

Government will act tomorrow.

Utter political bullsh!t. Playing with lives, livelihoods and people's mental wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

If people could be trusted to conduct themselves in a responsible manner then level three could have worked. We'd to attend a pharmacy yesterday to get an emergency inhaler for my fiancé. The only one open near us was in a shopping centre. It was honestly a fúcking free for all. Nobody respecting social distancing, pushing past each other leaving only inches of space, grabbing at stuff like it was the end of days.

It's so sad because the economic fallout of another lockdown will affect so many people, livelihoods etc. All because a certain cohort lack in basic common sense and decency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

froog wrote: »
    absolute nonsense.

They make a very good point. It's being called a vaccine but won't give immunity. I cannot get my head around that. We are still going to catch this virus.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    They have communicated effectively ..and in writing .
    Never said about suing the virus , although one would be forgiven for thinking in such derogatory terms about this government .
    The virus is completely single minded and effective and is doing the job it exists for ...
    Well, any organisation worth their salt would wonder how the hell they got from everything normal to DefCon 1 in two days. That more than suggests that someone screwed up. Not even hinting to their boss, the MoH, that DefCon1 was on the table for discussion is a communications faux pas and it is naive beyond belief to imagine that such a bombshell would not find its way instantly into the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

They make a very good point. It's being called a vaccine but won't give immunity. I cannot get my head around that. We are still going to catch this virus.

But you will not get sick from the virus.
    Flu vaccine
    Chicken pox vaccine are the same

Antares35 wrote: »
    If people could be trusted to conduct themselves in a responsible manner then level three could have worked. Wed to attend a pharmacy yesterday to get an emergency inhaler for my fiancé. The only one open near us was in a shopping centre. It was honestly a fúcking free for all. Nobody respecting social distancing, pushing past each other leaving only inches of space, grabbing at stuff like it was the end of days.

It's so sad because the economic fallout of another lockdown will affect so many people, livelihoods etc. All because a certain cohort lack in basic common sense and decency.
    Tired people do silly things sometimes. That's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

According to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tired people do silly things sometimes. That's life.

So do stupid, selfish ones.

Messi19 wrote: »
    They're normally anti anything. Will likely be vegan, love conspiracy theories and keen to try and brainwash anyone stupid enough to give them the time of day

Not many of the anti lockdown people looked like vegans to me! More like meat and 2 veg types

Antares35 wrote: »
    So do stupid, selfish ones.
    Indeed, but we all need to blame someone one for things we can't control, especially people clearly not like us.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

s1ippy wrote: »
    Virus is rife for weeks.

Government will act tomorrow.

Utter political bullsh!t. Playing with lives, livelihoods and people's mental wellbeing.

What I don't understand is some people actually would be happy for the doors of homes in this country to be welded shut for 3 months to control the spread but yet not a single restriction is in place at the airports where the virus began its life in this country.

I will have a serious attitude problem at any checkpoint I encounter tomorrow if I have to explain my reasons for going to the local supermarket while the airports are open unchecked. 1 single person entering with the virus brings us back to February 29th each time.

Well, any organisation worth their salt would wonder how the hell they got from everything normal to DefCon 1 in two days. That more than suggests that someone screwed up. Not even hinting to their boss, the MoH, that DefCon1 was on the table for discussion is a communicative faux pas and it is naive beyond belief to imagine that such a bombshell would not find its way instantly into the public domain.

Obviously you still believe it was NPHET who leaked?
    Government are responsible , HSE are also and are accountable to the people .
    NPHET are an advisory group and their advice is being ignored by the government , at their peril.
    Schoolchildren have already brought legal action over their Leaving Certs , do you not think that when grieving families get through their grief they will be looking at who's to blame , and it won't be The Virus , Stephen Donnelly !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The posters point is that in the space of three days NPHET went from saying that there was no need to add to level three to then advocating level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t see this pandemic helping the public’s view of politicians as a whole. The oireachtas hasn’t covered itself in glory at all and certainly in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Stheno wrote: »
    The posters point is that in the space of three days NPHET went from saying that there was no need to add to level three to then advocating level 5

https://assets.gov.ie/90993/73b45080-0fc5-44fb-9495-79ea63665e45.pdf

Not for you specifically Stheno, but incase anyone would like to read their rationale for the turn around and subsequent recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

Stheno wrote: »

As far as I'm aware that's not true, weren't nphet calling for level 4 in early October? It seems that everyone's chronology of nphet recommendations is slightly different for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement