Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Knocking on the door of 20K cases un UK today and 137 deaths.

They now have 468 patients on mechanical ventilation in England, up from 441 yesterday according to the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Absolute disaster has been county finals in gaa.

1 A club in Armagh won county final, 31 out of 33 of the panel had covid afterwards and 100 people in surrounding village also.
    2 Moycullen in Galway won first ever senior county title. Afterwards massive outbreak in panel which has spilled over into local area
    3 Ballivor and Rataoth won county titles in Meath. Afterward many players tested positive and both Ballivor and Rataoth have huge numbers of cases in the town.
    One of the things that happened was players filled the cup up with drink and all drank from the same cup afterwards and then preceded to visit all the local pubs and many local houses in the parish. GAA response to this, we should have took the cup off the winning team after the ceremony, just after the match.
    Then you had
    4 The scenes in Blackrock Cork after the County final.win when the team and supporters marched through the town with the cup like a st patricks day parade. No social distancing at matchs as crowds all atop of each other and more then 200 people at county finals.
    5 An ex county player resigned from management of Offaly club team as he was not happy with issues over a case
    6 In Waterford hurling final, player was waiting for test yet he was allowed to play in final. His later test proved he had the virus.
    7 A minor player was waiting on a test he was allowed to travel on packed bus with rest of panel to county final he was tested positive
    8 Roscommon played Donegal in challenge match in Boyle over the weekend and had a meal afterwards in an hotel for both teams. Gardai were called regards were restrictions being followed
    9 Donegal, Fermanagh and Armagh have had to cancel matchs and training as players in all 3 counties have got the virus. Fermamagh are playing Clare at weekend and so many Fermanagh players have the virus they might not
    be able to field a team.

There are some of the known cases whats happenned in GAA, its pretty certain there is many more cases like the above not being reported in GAA. We have seen with the soccer team how quickly with sportspeople how they can get afftected. Yet in the next 2 weeks 32 counties in the island will engage in a national competition, (basically amateur players many of them frontline workers )will be on packed buses and criss cross the country and criss crossing the border, which happens to be one of the areas with the worst effected cases in Europe. Yet starting at the weekend, this is only starting. It reminds me of what a once great gaa president from Mayo who was also a doctor said when he talked about the scourge of drink on Irish society. He wrote a book called "No one shouted stop". I think that title of that book is apt now, No one shouted stop.

What the hell are the GAA at, an amateur organistion having a national competition in two jurisdictions, one of which has highest number of cases in Europe, what are they at, having an All Ireland championship as a world wide pandemic is its second wave as cases explode across the island. You couldnt think of a worst 2 months then November and December to have the championship as the second waves peaks. Will anyone in the GAA hierachy shout stop? It really looks like an amateur association acting like amateurs. In March the GAA did excellent work now they will have PR disaster on there hands at the very least, just because in the words of great late Eugene McGee who once said every decision the GAA makes goes back to money. You take the Sky deal, the super 8s and now the championship going ahead. Its all to do with money, games played means the GAA will get money from broadcasters. Its totally against what GAA should stand for. Just when the GAA should be showing example and leadership to young people, to everyone they are doing the opposite and if anything are super spreaders in terms of cases currently. I can see the championship starting but there is not a hope in hell , zero chance of it finishing. But the issues, the growing rate of numbers will increase and the GAA will have played an helping hand in that. It really is crazy when you sit down and think of it. Call of the All Ireland championship and play them when it is safe to do so. Its very simple. But where is the leadership in the GAA. No where to be seen.
    You left out Cavan and Wexford!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Just wait for the parties after this and watch case numbers ten days later...…….
    https://www.northernsound.ie/no-major-injury-covid-19-concerns-monaghan-prepare-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I was defending the GAA as an entity to my English husband the other night, who was giving out after he saw the parade in Cork.

After that litany of fvck ups, I'll be keeping my mouth shut from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Always_Running

8 Roscommon played Donegal in challenge match in Boyle over the weekend and had a meal afterwards in an hotel for both teams. Gardai were called regards were restrictions being followed
    That was total non story. Hasn't been a hotel in Boyle for years. It was parish Hall and the team (not both teams as you stated) grabbing some grub as they do after every training session or match. The Garda was called out when some locals thought a group of people was breaking guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Has any country in Europe more restrictions than us? Obviously they might have bits that we don't have but overall I think we probably have the most with one of the lower rates of infection.

So is it possible, do you think, that we have one of the lower infection rates BECAUSE we've some of the tightest restrictions perhaps?

Italy seeing sharp growth again for the first time since the last peak back in April.

7,332 new cases (up from 5,901 yesterday), a new record, and 43 new deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

is_that_so wrote: »
    Despite the huge rise in cases across Europe it's interesting to compare the far calmer approach to this surge with the panicked days of early March.

The huge rise is due to much more testing.
    There was not "panicked" days in early March. It was a rational response. A novel virus had just emerged from China. Hospitals in parts of Europe were being over run as were morgues in some unfortunate parts of the world. Mass graves were dug in some places. The army was recruited to deal with bodies. On some days even here we were having a 50% increase on a normal daily death toll in added deaths hust from covid 19. We had 100s in hospital with it. The reaction to the situation was normal and rational.
    If case numbers increase to the levels of March and April - and I say IF - we will have another normal rational response that will involve breaking the chains of transmission of covid via serious restrictions in order to protect our health systems

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Despite the huge rise in cases across Europe it's interesting to compare the far calmer approach to this surge with the panicked days of early March.
    It's the lower death numbers - AND the fact that we have a better idea of who it kills.

The images coming out of Italy (and other countries) of army trucks filled with the dead, had people obviously very spooked. We knew back then that it hit the elderly hardest, but everyone did have general concern for themselves and their children.

But now after we've crunched the data and we know that younger and healthier people are less affected, people are more relaxed about it. And more people know others who've got it, and come out the other side.

If you're over 65, there's a good chance you'll know someone, a friend of a friend, who died from it.

If you're 25, there's virtually no chance that you'll have heard of anyone in your extended circle even getting a bad dose, never mind dying or ending up in ICU.

And ultimately that's how people conduct themselves; based on the risk they assess for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

kenmc wrote: »
    So is it possible, do you think, that we have one of the lower infection rates BECAUSE we've some of the tightest restrictions perhaps?

Its often the obvious answers that are the correct ones, isn't it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JDD wrote: »
    I was defending the GAA as an entity to my English husband the other night, who was giving out after he saw the parade in Cork.

After that litany of fvck ups, I'll be keeping my mouth shut from now on.
    They have been quite spectacular in that respect! Almost every other day for a few weeks there was yet another GAA story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yes I do, sorry if I didn't make it clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What are swabs looking like today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/
    GooglePlus wrote: »

Green and yukkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

1 A club in Armagh won county final, 31 out of 33 of the panel had covid afterwards and 100 people in surrounding village also.
    2 Moycullen in Galway won first ever senior county title. Afterwards massive outbreak in panel which has spilled over into local area
    3 Ballivor and Rataoth won county titles in Meath. Afterward many players tested positive and both Ballivor and Rataoth have huge numbers of cases in the town.
    One of the things that happened was players filled the cup up with drink and all drank from the same cup afterwards and then preceded to visit all the local pubs and many local houses in the parish. GAA response to this, we should have took the cup off the winning team after the ceremony, just after the match.
    Then you had
    4 The scenes in Blackrock Cork after the County final.win when the team and supporters marched through the town with the cup like a st patricks day parade. No social distancing at matchs as crowds all atop of each other and more then 200 people at county finals.
    5 An ex county player resigned from management of Offaly club team as he was not happy with issues over a case
    6 In Waterford hurling final, player was waiting for test yet he was allowed to play in final. His later test proved he had the virus.
    7 A minor player was waiting on a test he was allowed to travel on packed bus with rest of panel to county final he was tested positive
    9 Donegal, Fermanagh and Armagh have had to cancel matchs and training as players in all 3 counties have got the virus. Fermamagh are playing Clare at weekend and so many Fermanagh players have the virus they might not
    be able to field a team.

There are some of the known cases whats happenned in GAA, its pretty certain there is many more cases like the above not being reported in GAA. We have seen with the soccer team how quickly with sportspeople how they can get afftected. Yet in the next 2 weeks 32 counties in the island will engage in a national competition, (basically amateur players many of them frontline workers )will be on packed buses and criss cross the country and criss crossing the border, which happens to be one of the areas with the worst effected cases in Europe. Yet starting at the weekend, this is only starting. It reminds me of what a once great gaa president from Mayo who was also a doctor said when he talked about the scourge of drink on Irish society. He wrote a book called "No one shouted stop". I think that title of that book is apt now, No one shouted stop.

I had no idea about that. Thanks for sharing. Crazy stuff really.

https://media.giphy.com/media/J2IJOu...krQ/source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Getting really bad across Europe again, looking like it will get as bad as it was back in MArch ... f*cking hell never thought it would get this bad.

Such a shame leaving the f*cking planet is not an option....

It's f*cked, we need a new home.... where are we on terraforming Mars ?

@Elon ?

Kinda like this but the exact details can vary

68105-10204153.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yes I do, sorry if I didn't make it clear

It read to me more like "we've loads of restrictions even though we've low infection rates", apologies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bad

1269 cases 7%+ positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bad

1269 cases 7%+ positivity.

The north or here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

It read to me more like "we've loads of restrictions even though we've low infection rates", apologies.

I'll add my apologies, I thought that too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mloc123 wrote: »
    The north or here?

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The north or here?

That’s swab data from the here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

In the UK Liverpool ICU use now at capacity so why not...

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1316138659758960641

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1316289970760568832

Actually 95% as of this morning.

Unbelievable

UK cases just touching 20k this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Then you had
    8 Roscommon played Donegal in challenge match in Boyle over the weekend and had a meal afterwards in parish hall for the team. Gardai were called regards were restrictions being followed
    be able to field a team.

What the hell are the GAA at, an amateur organistion having a national competition in two jurisdictions, one of which has highest number of cases in Europe, what are they at, having an All Ireland championship as a world wide pandemic is its second wave as cases explode across the island. You couldnt think of a worst 2 months then November and December to have the championship as the second waves peaks. Will anyone in the GAA hierachy shout stop? It really looks like an amateur association acting like amateurs. In March the GAA did excellent work now they will have PR disaster on there hands at the very least, just because in the words of great late Eugene McGee who once said every decision the GAA makes goes back to money. You take the Sky deal, the super 8s and now the championship going ahead. Its all to do with money, games played means the GAA will get money from broadcasters. Its totally against what GAA should stand for. Just when the GAA should be showing example and leadership to young people, to everyone they are doing the opposite and if anything are super spreaders in terms of cases currently. I can see the championship starting but there is not a hope in hell , zero chance of it finishing. But the issues, the growing rate of numbers will increase and the GAA will have played an helping hand in that. It really is crazy when you sit down and think of it. Call of the All Ireland championship and play them when it is safe to do so. Its very simple. But where is the leadership in the GAA. No where to be seen.

absolute disgrace. and they were some of the loudest shouting about how GAA matches were zero risk and how terribly unfair the crowd restrictions were at matches and of course no one ever saw any groups of people close by at matches or after etc etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The north or here?

That's the swabs here. It doesn't always line up with case numbers but is closely linked over time. Usually there's a small difference as some swabs are already cases (second swab in hospital or tested multiple times for some other reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Another brilliant move by Spain, bars and restaurants to close in Catalonia - pushing these social meetings to peoples homes where they won't have hand sanitizer on every table and surfaces being constantly cleaned.

Will only push infections up.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-14/faced-with-rising-coronavirus-cases-catalonia-closes-restaurants-and-bars-for-two-weeks.html

don't the spanish mostly socialise outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Getting really bad across Europe again, looking like it will get as bad as it was back in MArch ... f*cking hell never thought it would get this bad.

Such a shame leaving the f*cking planet is not an option....

It's f*cked, we need a new home.... where are we on terraforming Mars ?

@Elon ?

Do you have a split personality or something :p

You said this just yesterday!
    'The more data that comes out the more it is converging to being as deadly as the flu, especially when looking at 2nd wave stats.

posted before but I would trust this

https://off-guardian.org/2020/09/29/...d-to-lockdown/'

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

froog wrote: »
    absolute disgrace. and they were some of the loudest shouting about how GAA matches were zero risk and how terribly unfair the crowd restrictions were at matches and of course no one ever saw any groups of people close by at matches or after etc etc

Are all players like other sports going to be tested before championship games ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Study found 50% more people have died in the US due to the pandemic indirectly than those who have died directly due to the virus.

Not hard to see when whole hospitals are overwhelmed.
    The coronavirus pandemic may have caused tens of thousands of more deaths in the spring and summer than previously thought, a new study says.

Researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond found nearly 75,000 more people may have died from the pandemic than what was recorded in March to July, according to the report published Monday in the peer-reviewed journal JAMA.

By examining death certificates, the study found more than 150,000 deaths were officially attributed to COVID-19 during that period. But researchers determined that nearly 75,000 additional deaths were indirectly caused by the pandemic, bringing the total number of deaths for those four months to more than 225,000.

Woolf says the deaths indirectly caused by the pandemic came from illnesses such as Alzheimer's disease, diabetes and heart disease, which sharply increased in the same five states that recorded the most COVID-19 deaths.

Delayed care, fear of seeking care or emotional crises stemming from the pandemic could have also contributed to these deaths, he says, as well as inaccurate death certificates that may have misidentified a COVID-19 death.

https://twitter.com/picardonhealth/status/1316163681235984384?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement