Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I don't get the link between evictions and travel within counties. And thought 5km was being rejected anyways. Anyone know what that's about? " An eviction ban will also be introduced to coincide with any new measures restricting travel within counties to ensure people cannot be put out of their homes during a second lockdown."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eod100 wrote: »
    I don't get the link between evictions and travel within counties. And thought 5km was being rejected anyways. Anyone know what that's about? " An eviction ban will also be introduced to coincide with any new measures restricting travel within counties to ensure people cannot be put out of their homes during a second lockdown."

Its just badly written i think?

Or is it that if people can't be evicted they won't be travelling to move in with family?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,983 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In theory if everyone spent 14 days alone the virus would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has anyone seen the clip that has apparently went viral from RTE news, a journalist went up to some woman and asked what they thought of the proposed restrictions to which she retorts 'I don't give two flying fcuks.'

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

In theory if everyone spent 14 days alone the virus would be gone.

... until the next ferry arrives, or flight, or car crossing the non existent border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

manniot2 wrote: »
    can someone please explain what the point was of wearing masks in non essential shops if we are now closing them as they are deemed to be the cause of spread?

Good point. Can see people now thinking masks are useless and binning them. They were supposed to be the be all and end all and now they’re seemingly not enough.

Stheno wrote: »
    Its just badly written i think?

Or is it that if people can't be evicted they won't be travelling to move in with family?

Maybe but surely finding a roof over your head would be essential reason for travel in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Yes, what WHO basically says is, if you are fcuked use the lockdown and rethink your future strategies. They don't say do not use lockdowns.

Ok, so Ireland is neither fcuked or has any notion of rethinking its strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Good point. Can see people now thinking masks are useless and binning them. They were supposed to be the be all and end all and now they’re seemingly not enough.

They reduce risk they don't eliminate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Independent reporting we'll be allowed to form social bubbles. Eviction ban to come in, suggestions of 5k limit but other reports saying government feel that's too harsh.

"Schools along construction sites and manufacturing companies are expected to stay open as will other essential services and shops"

Review in 3/4 weeks

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-social-bubbles-eviction-ban-and-5km-travel-restriction-under-consideration-for-new-covid-19-rules-39638423.html

Problem with this, if it is so, is that the plan will not work then and the unpleasant restrictions will have been for nothing in 4 to 6 weeks. The climb may slow but it won't stop.

So many come in under the exemptions clauses that in effect it will continue almost as is. The essential builders and outdoor workers will still share lifts, drive in from different parts of the country, use local petrol pumps and sandwich bars, gather in the welfare units, people in the essential manufacturing factories will still huddle together on smoke breaks and share lifts and be in close contact at work, the people in the essential retail outlets will do their thing as of now. Only the schools will somehow magically not spread virus, I know that much. With so many exemptions people can ignore the restrictions.

The thing that people seem to forget is the lockdown from March to May radically halted viral spread. Because it was an actual lockdown.
    This is shaping up to be both half-arsed and unenforceable and I don't think it will do a huge amount to change the course of the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

On the subject of schools..I teach in a primary school and really hope we re able to stay open.
    However there needs to be proper testing in schools for this to happen.
    There's been 6800 tests of close contact s in schools. that's a tiny number. So many stories (including local to our school) of multiple cases in a particular school and the subsequent risk assessment deeming "no close contact s" or only sending a few home. Children don't socially distance and aren't wearing masks. The only way to stop it bring rampant in schools..and as a result rampant in wider society, is to close the year or school in question down for 14 days and mass test at the school.
    I don't think schools as a whole should close again but please, please start mass testing and actually figuring out what's going on in schools rather than leaving it a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Kh1993 wrote: »

except they were never touted as a be all and end all.

can't believe there are still anti maskers around. what an odd thing to get fixated on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

Any idea where this would leave the GAA championship? I see the GPA said they wouldn’t continue with anything more than level 4.

I assume it won’t continue considering they can’t socially bubble as most are teachers and guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,983 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Short term pain for long term gain. Wuhan did it. We should go big, and kill it for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Ok, so Ireland is neither fcuked or has any notion of rethinking its strategies.

After reading that article on indo about new Plan, there's no rethinking involved at all

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Short term pain for long term gain. Wuhan did it. We should go big, and kill it for good.
    Sure, put a real number on that short term pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Stheno wrote: »
    Mines the same if you have to in its temp checking,facemasks at all times, and a few other fairly strict rules

Less than 5% actually have to go in

They have however organised flu vaccinations for us so that will be interesting to go into the office but its a huge open space they will use probably

We were all given thermometers to check ourselves back in March, but as a manufacturing site we still have a lot of people on site :/ I've argued with higher ups that there are still too many middle management coming in that could work remotely, and to an extent even floor workers who can work remotely (I myself worked remotely from March to June, and am doing so again now after much arguing).

We too do Flu Vaccinations on site, which I do appreciate, but the issue is they have two windows a week for 4 weeks, between 10am and 1pm, to try and get a workplace of over 4000, working shift patterns 24/7... It didn't work for many people last year, and with social distancing this year I imagine it will work for less people now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well those kind of things have been few and far between. The most disappointing part is the fact that politicians are back to if things were normal and points scoring which is imo a disgrace during a pandemic but maybe I was too hopeful that politician would do what was in the country’s interest as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are they implementing the 5km rule?

Awful either way. Scary that a 33 year old can die from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm not going to panic buy but do we think the likes of Smyth's could be closed for a few months ? Starting to get stressed out now that Santa won't be able to get much

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

This. We know that children transmit illnesses to one another at school.
    Ask any parent how many times their child has become ill, whether with flu, tummy bugs, or whatever, when they go back to school in September.

I know of a school where a child tested positive for Coronavirus, and the HSE advised that they had no close contacts, so, no action was necessary.
    That school now has 5 cases, - and counting.

If children in the same class as someone with coronavirus are not tested - how would there be any evidence of transmission in schools?

Meanwhile, we are repeatedly told about how people are not observing the guidelines - and some aren't - while ignoring the elephants of encouraging people to take "staycations" (stupid phrase), failing to prepare for wave 2, whether by ramping up test and trace capability, and hospital beds, failing to give the option of tests at ports and airports, - I could go on, but, you get the picture...

Meanwhile, it's all the peoples fault- because if we're all busy pointing fingers at one another we're less likely to do a bit of critical thinking about failures in the system....
    You have hit a big nail on the head, Close contacts at school not treats the same as in another workplace. That means they are not tested/ That means fewer of school age become cases. So of course Nolan can cloud the truth by showing cases in that age group not rising and "no evidence schools etc" claim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Gael23 wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

US2 wrote: »
    I'm not going to panic buy but do we think the likes of Smyth's could be closed for a few months ? Starting to get stressed out now that Santa won't be able to get much

Smyth are online

ronin88 wrote: »
    Any idea where this would leave the GAA championship? I see the GPA said they wouldn’t continue with anything more than level 4.

I assume it won’t continue considering they can’t socially bubble as most are teachers and guards.

Gaa county finals appear to have resulted in vast numbers of cases. Just shut it down

Gael23 wrote: »

Seem to be considering it accorsing to article posted but could be way to make it seem like government resisted NPHET by extending it or not having it at all. Hard to make predictions when so many politics involved. Guess we will find out tomorrow evening officially either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Smyths online and Argos also online .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement