Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Did some maths there and taking in the fact of 1,000 cases a day and roughly 5 million people living in Ireland.... 7.3% of the population would get Corona each year.

Should the cases jump to 2,000 a day it would be 14.6%
    Should the cases jump to 3,000 a day it would be 21.9% ... That's scary.

Puts things into perspective. At least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

US2 wrote: »
    I'm not going to panic buy but do we think the likes of Smyth's could be closed for a few months ? Starting to get stressed out now that Santa won't be able to get much

have you never heard of online shopping, even smyths do it!
    almost delivered by the time you get out of the Q.
    Boots, mccabes etc next day delivery.
    sign up to amazon prime for a month and delivery is free, so many options, no idea why people are going nuts in the shops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

froog wrote: »
    except they were never touted as a be all and end all.

can't believe there are still anti maskers around. what an odd thing to get fixated on.

I’m not an anti masker and never will be. I’ve been wearing them since March.

My point was is that first essential retail was fine without masks, then all retail was fine once masks were worn, now retail isn’t fine even with masks. Eventually the message becomes so diluted that people won’t bother (not me, but there will be a percentage - the same people just about wearing masks as a means to entry in to a shop then pulling them down).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Stheno wrote: »
    Smyth are online

Yes and in March/april they had a very limited online service. I waited 6 weeks for a doll house to be delivered.

What’s reported in the indo makes no sense to me. We either do this properly or not at all. Level 5 for a month, including schools, or maintain level 3 with a WFH advisory and ride it out

This 4.375 or wherever it is will not achieve anything, whilst having an additional cost. IMO there’ll still be enough people moving around and congregating, in schools and an inevitably expanded list of ‘essential’ business

I think we should stay where we are, but if we’re going to do this, let’s bloody do it properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Smyths online and Argos also online .
    argos has a five euro item charge for delievering eg a kettle. Great if your made of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'm not going to panic buy but do we think the likes of Smyth's could be closed for a few months ? Starting to get stressed out now that Santa won't be able to get much

Ah come on. Stressed about not being able to buy excessive amounts of plastic garbage?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Decathlon also if looking for reasonably priced bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes and in March/april they had a very limited online service. I waited 6 weeks for a doll house to be delivered.

Buy somewhere else so. It's actually easy and you might save few bucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Both are non essential retail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah come on. Stressed about not being able to buy excessive amounts of plastic garbage?

Ironic username :p

Apt username

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do you have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

zinfandel wrote: »
    have you never heard of online shopping, even smyths do it!
    almost delivered by the time you get out of the Q.
    Boots, mccabes etc next day delivery.
    sign up to amazon prime for a month and delivery is free, so many options, no idea why people are going nuts in the shops...
    This exactly, my local smyths was jammed this morning and a long Q to get in . Went home and had all done on line in space of 45 minutes between Amazon and smyths all free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

How about this Christmas - don't buy so much stuff!! Radical idea, I know. When my kids were small the other kids they knew used to get so much expensive stuff for Christmas it was actually obscene. I used to get a designated amount of presents that I could afford and nothing too expensive and then we would have a good time going for walks and having bonfires and watching movies and eating too much. As I come from a huge family and so does himself we decided decades ago to not buy each other presents. Guess what - no-one's freaking head has ever fallen off. And everyone still loves each other.

This obsession with shopping for Christmas before a lockdown is a pretty damning indictment of how ridiculously consumerist our society has become. Makes me glad I don’t have kids so that my partner and I can opt out of the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

speckle wrote: »
    argos has a five euro item charge for delievering eg a kettle. Great if your made of money

Most websites have a delivery charge these days. It’s not unusual.

petes wrote: »
    Do you have kids?

He has bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

I think board games are the way to go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Both are non essential retail though.

Doubt online shopping will be stopped.

Great what is the plan for the vulnarable or high risk or oaps, last time there were volunteers like the gaa to do chemist runs etc. Dont even have enough volunteers to get cancer patients to hospital at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has anyone seen the clip that has apparently went viral from RTE news, a journalist went up to some woman and asked what they thought of the proposed restrictions to which she retorts 'I don't give two flying fcuks.'

Yes :D
    https://twitter.com/taggart_hugh/status/1317768091477094400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

mcburns07 wrote: »

People aren't stupid though, whilst they arent being worn correctly, the main route they are going to spew particles is through their mouth and not their nose.

I hate this holier than thou talk from people about wearing masks correctly...

People wear them around their chin when they are not in close with people and take then off their nose at times like this too.

The main route you will spread corona to somebody else whilst speaking is out of your mouth, so less of this nonsense, people arent stupid.

HeyV wrote: »
    Most websites have a delivery charge these days. It’s not unusual.
    Exactly, which adds up if on a pension etc

People aren't stupid though, whilst they arent being worn correctly, the main route they are going to spew particles is through their mouth and not their nose.

I hate this holier than thou talk from people about wearing masks correctly...

People wear them around their chin when they are not in close with people and take then off their nose at times like this too.

The main route you will spread corona to somebody else whilst speaking is out of your mouth, so less of this nonsense, people arent stupid.

Oh ok then

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    I think board games are the way to go :D

I never thought of that - my hotels and houses are all plastic too!

petes wrote: »
    Do you have kids?

Yes

I never thought of that - my hotels and houses are all plastic too!

Sure you will have all the time to make cardboard ones which the virus dies quicker on then plastic.:D
    Hope you have people in the house to play with unlike othets living alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

**** the 5k rule

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement