Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stheno wrote: »
    Odd post to reply to but thanks for update! Good to see the health system continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

US2 wrote: »
    This Christmas more than ever I'm going to spoil my kids after the miserable year they put up with. No Patrick's day, no Easter egg hunts. No birthday party's, no Halloween.
    These might sound silly but these are kids

When I was a kid I would have given all that up and more for an extra 3 or 4 months off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Other EU states will be imposing severe restrictions in the weeks ahead out of necessity given the current trend in figures. I suspect we won't be viewed all that differently down the line, other than having acted earlier to safeguard the health system and wider economy.

Wider economy saved by lockdown. Right.

is_that_so wrote: »

10 weeks. Ffs throw us all in the Liffey to fook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Other EU states will be imposing severe restrictions in the weeks ahead out of necessity given the current trend in figures. I suspect we won't be viewed all that differently down the line, other than having acted earlier to safeguard the health system and wider economy.

I hope you're right, but I suspect you won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

About 6000 cases in the last week or more and icu numbers still exact same, bit of a positive anyway in all this gloom, I'm sure someone will spin it into bad news soon enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

The last few sentences are interesting, Ireland becoming an outlier which may cause the markets ( lenders) to view us differently.

I think that view already exists. We had the slowest reopening - and never reached the level of freedoms that nearly every other European country had. Our cases per100k are mid-level in a European context and we are about to head back into a series of measures that are significantly harsher than elsewhere.

Maybe other European countries will catch up in a few weeks but we do seem to be continually out of kilter without either having a particularly better or worse performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not at Christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We are lacking that honesty from our government

If 2 weeks is the cycle time for the virus restrictions would need at least 6, 2 weeks to get the currently infected but not symptomatic, 2 weeks to stop spread and 2 further weeks to confirm a drop

That brings us to around Dec. 5th

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    About 6000 cases in the last week or more and icu numbers still exact same, bit of a positive anyway in all this gloom, I'm sure someone will spin it into bad news soon enough anyway.

Any day now the queues will form outside the Icu

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

They agreed to an 'all-Ireland' approach when animal health was threatened with the Foot & Mouth virus... and that was when the most rabid of Unionists, Dr Ian Paisley' was in charge of the DUP.

That virus could spread for 3 KM... not the few meters that Covid can muster.

A shame that the same approach is not used now, when human health is at stake.

Times have changed between now and 2001, unfortunately. The main thing being Brexit. We may not have quite as toxic a unionist up there as Paisley, but the combination of Foster and the Tories, and what they are trying to achieve regarding Brexit means an all-Ireland approach is less than realistic.

manniot2 wrote: »
    TBH we'll get past it once we've punched a few walls and been given an exact date that will not deviate. That will have to be a political call because NHPET will not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

niallo27 wrote: »

Yeah sure that respiratory consultant on the radio just now saying corks icus are full and they had to ring around seven hospitals for an icu bed is probably just being melodramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

manniot2 wrote: »

What he said is full of contradictions-- "nearly as severe as March"- we didn't have an exit strategy last time and are now back in the same place. I must be missing something but what exactly does he think is going to be different after the next 10 weeks? At least be honest- we are going to be back in the exact place/s

I don’t disagree with that. I would do 8-10 weeks of L5 IF there was a documented plan for what would be done by government in that 8-10 weeks such that we would then ‘live with it’ thereafter at no worse than L2, no matter what. This would be do-able, even in the absence of an effective vaccine until 2022, if there were good preparations made and 15 minute testing available to all and international travel procedures developed and hospital capacity sorted, and everything else, in that 8-10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Has any journalist ever asked the Taoiseach or health minister what they were doing during the summer instead of making sure there was a lot more ICU beds in hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If rural, how much wear and tear, petrol and tolls depending on where you live and how does it compare to the delivery change?

My favorite shop for woodworking tools is in Naas, it's cheaper to either ring them or order from their site and have the items delivered than for me to drive to and from it.
    The only time I do go is when I want to wander around the store and chat to the owner in person or attended a demo/class.

Alot of elders and disabled and high risk people dont drive or use computers well. Not stereotyping as I have alot of elders in family only 2/8 can. And for example clothes boots etc you have the hassle of having to send back if not right. Many Post offices closed down the countryside recently. I will be fine and I am high risk but got very tired last time around having to help so many others who are also high risk around me.
    But I get where you are coming from some thing work out cheaper but for example minium income people last time re shopping online... I compared all major stores online and safely visited them in person as I was the lowest high risk of them . On a budget you got better deals visiting in person. I wasn't bad because I sorted myself out in jan and feb. But I fear for other vulnarable high risk people especially down the country this time. people are tired. Also noted nearby 10 houses high risk people who dont drive because of illness/finances another 10 houses nearby with cars only one offer, once to help.

We are lacking that honesty from our government

If 2 weeks is the cycle time for the virus restrictions would need at least 6, 2 weeks to get the currently infected but not symptomatic, 2 weeks to stop spread and 2 further weeks to confirm a drop

That brings us to around Dec. 5th
    Yeah, think most people would much rather know how long exactly it's planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

HSE taking over at least 40% of private hospital capacity according to news on the radio

Wonder how much private hospitals are charging the state for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah sure that respiratory consultant on the radio just now saying corks icus are full and they had to ring around seven hospitals for an icu bed is probably just being melodramatic.

Didn't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Multiple posters have said it here before. The cork hosptials cover such a large area.

ICU there are full most of the time, being full now is nothing new.

3 covid patients in ICU between Mercy and CUH, they aren't full due to covid.

Acosta wrote: »
    Has any journalist ever asked the Taoiseach or health minister what they were doing during the summer instead of making sure there was a lot more ICU beds in hospitals?
    That's a HSE remit - the government gives them the money to do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not at Christmas

Noone wants to talk about losing christmas but the dithering and indecisive leadership has already put it at risk as is. We'd be lucky to see any semblance of a normal christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m travelling 200km next weekend

400 laps of your perimeter? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Infini wrote: »
    Noone wants to talk about losing christmas but the dithering and indecisive leadership has already put it at risk as is. We'd be lucky to see any semblance of a normal christmas.

Your not seeing any normal at Christmas.

Be doing well to get shops open and that'll be it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

US2 wrote: »
    This Christmas more than ever I'm going to spoil my kids after the miserable year they put up with. No Patrick's day, no Easter egg hunts. No birthday party's, no Halloween.
    These might sound silly but these are kids

Plus its no one else’s business what you do for the kids . You do as you feel is right for your family

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

Regarding online shopping...
    I’m not a huge fan of Facebook but have a look at it for shops in your area.
    I seen 3 shops in my area have now gone online. One in particular surprised me - they have had an ordinary till in the shop for as long as I can remember... no fancy scanning system, just tot in the prices on the register.
    They now have a proper online shop, mightn’t be the fanciest website in the world but fair fcuks to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The last few sentences are interesting, Ireland becoming an outlier which may cause the markets ( lenders) to view us differently.

Lot of countries in Europe have brought in restrictions lately on regional level at minimum. May not be at national level but then size of Ireland and population would be lot different than bigger countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Why do people get so worked up about Christmas in the first place? I absolutely hate the normal frenzy involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement