Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Multiple posters have said it here before. The cork hosptials cover such a large area.

ICU there are full most of the time, being full now is nothing new.

3 covid patients in ICU between Mercy and CUH, they aren't full due to covid.

I didn't day they were full due to covid. But covid ICU is a totally different demand than ICU from other illnesses. If it's full it's full. People have to go somewhere else. Lets not hope we use up all our country wide icu capacity before we can get this under control because it won't be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,225 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The shopping for Christmas is not all about kids, maybe we would like to buy a present for a neighbour or elderly relative, Christmas is about family, friends and also gifts whether big or small

I think no matter what level we go to, there will still be tools breaking rules as there is no strict enforcement

We are in a depressing vacuum black hole, need some good news, cancelling Christmas isn't the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why do people get so worked up about Christmas in the first place? I absolutely hate the normal frenzy involved.
    You're asking that with the year that's in it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah sure that respiratory consultant on the radio just now saying corks icus are full and they had to ring around seven hospitals for an icu bed is probably just being melodramatic.

This is it in a nutshell. If the people I might be relying on to save my life, are saying that we are in trouble, I will certainly be pushing their case. For anyone who didn't hear, they said that urgent action is required now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

At this stage I just think “f**k Christmas!”. Shutting down the country/economy for two months to “save” Christmas - a week long holiday - is just not worth it.

I nearly hope we don’t reopen at Christmas and undo all the sacrifices made the two months prior for the sake of one week. People put out of work again and on the PUP payment, just so those with growing bank balances can splurge and visit everyone they know. Christmas this year is not going to be anything like Christmas, so let’s not try and make it so at the cost of much more important things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why do people get so worked up about Christmas in the first place? I absolutely hate the normal frenzy involved.

grinch.jpg?fit=600%2C336&ssl=1

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

is_that_so wrote: »
    You're asking that with the year that's in it..?

Not everyone is a fan of Christmas though.

I hope people that are fans get to have a nice Christmas in so far that is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

They’re outside as well, ffs

If they're not from the same household they're not 2m apart, ffs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The shopping for Christmas is not all about kids, maybe we would like to buy a present for a neighbour or elderly relative, Christmas is about family, friends and also gifts whether big or small

I think no matter what level we go to, there will still be tools breaking rules as there is no strict enforcement

We are in a depressing vacuum black hole, need some good news, cancelling Christmas isn't the way to go

I really think people need to cop on and realise Christmas as we knew it is a non runner this year tbh

Multiple posters have said it here before. The cork hosptials cover such a large area.

ICU there are full most of the time, being full now is nothing new.

3 covid patients in ICU between Mercy and CUH, they aren't full due to covid.

Yes CUH has had patients in the past from Kerry, Limerick, Waterford and Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

1283 cases 3 Deaths Source TV3

3 deaths 1283 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

3 new deaths
    1283 new cases

274 in hospital and 33 of them in ICU

Not everyone is a fan of Christmas though.

I hope people that are fans get to have a nice Christmas in so far that is possible :)
    No, they are not but not being able to hate it properly this year will bother them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

408 in Dublin.

shocksy wrote: »
    3 new deaths
    1283 new cases

274 in hospital and 33 of them in ICU

Good that the ICU still seems quite steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

No, they are not but not being able to hate it properly this year will bother them too!

I know, of course it will. I get that. I just think there's a bigger picture. Just my opinion though. It's a no win for sure and I do have empathy for kids/grandparents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

At this stage I just think “f**k Christmas!”. Shutting down the country/economy for two months to “save” Christmas - a week long holiday - is just not worth it.

I nearly hope we don’t reopen at Christmas and undue all the sacrifices made the two months prior for the sake of one week. People put out of work again and on the PUP payment, just so those with mounting bank balances can splurge and visit everyone they know. Christmas this year is not going to be anything like Christmas, so let’s not try and make it so at the cost of much more important things.

Everyone knows it'll be nothing like normal, no pubs etc.

People will still want to get people a present or two and relax at home for a few days, give them that at least. You sound like scrooge. People still need something to look forward to, albeit a different experience.

You can bet on shops being open early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dublin now out of control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cases seem stubbornly high last few days https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317867545521684480?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

ICU remaining fairly steady.

For a population our size, these figures really are not bad.

they measure very favourably against the situation in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Good that the ICU still seems quite steady.

Still a creep up today though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It can be done without frenzy. But they probably enjoy the atmosphere, the family, everyone's reasons are different, I love the time with family and decorating and warmth and just the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Plus its no one else’s business what you do for the kids . You do as you feel is right for your family

You kidding me? The country is fuxkin full of curtain twitchers and moral guardians just waiting for you to step out of line. That’s half the problem in this country.

Dublin very high still despite how many weeks in level 3

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317867545521684480

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Safe to say that level 3 ain't working. Shocking no's in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Ridiculous to still have Dublin on L3 when it was blatantly obvious a week ago it wasn't working.

Nobody can defend that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why do people get so worked up about Christmas in the first place?

There is huge social and psychological pressure these days to have the 'perfect' family Christmas.
    People will stress themselves out every year for a picture perfect day and dinner.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Well I do not celebrate Christmass and I know it is very early but for those of you who do. I wish you a peaceful and healthy one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement